Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 04:13 AM        Tales from the Longbox #33: "The Most Halloweeny Comic Characters"!
Automatically generated comment thread for Tales from the Longbox #33: "The Most Halloweeny Comic Characters"!.
Simpson's Trivia King
Bavles is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 04:36 AM       
For my money. I always preferred the Hobgoblin over any of the Green Goblins any day
HowardC is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 04:39 AM       
Never heard of Dr. Destiny. Man Skeletor used to seem so original to me.

I would say Dr. Strange could make the list. The guy dresses like a bad Vincent Price character and is always trying to be all spooky and stuff. Something that the venture bro's picked up on when they spoofed him. Also as you mentioned, man-bat. Of course Morbius would fit the bill as well. Blade not so much unless you count "Blackula" as a halloween classic. Also if you are going to count Swamp Thing then you really have to mention the Man Thing. Man Thing first appeared in May of 71 and Swamp Thing didn't appear until July. Although now Man Thing is some sort of magical zombie puppet thingy they started out as very similar books. Though I do certainly understand why swamp thing is more popular.

Might as well throw in the ENTIRE batman cast as well. Think about it, grown men and women dressing up as either animals (batman, robin, catwoman, ect) characters based on pop-culture spoofs (The Mad Hatter, Scarface) or classic halloween costume ideas (Joker, Harley Quinn). Everyday is Halloween in Gotham. Seriously, you'll be hard pressed to think of a batman villian that wouldn't be considered either a monster straight from a horror movie and/or a guy in a halloween costume if they were taken out of the context of the books. I mean yeah other comics have a bunch of costumed freaks as well, but their costume is generally a super hero one... you know tights with their initials on them. Gotham City villians (and heroes for that matter) look they they robbed the local spencers and suited up.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 04:40 AM       
Wow, upon first seeing him, I thought Doctor Destiny WAS Skeletor. Just throw in the chest belt 'n staff and stick him in Snake Mountain and you'd have Skeletor in a nutshell.
DarkfireTaimatsu is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 06:17 AM       
I've seen that pic of Scarecrow before, and it's one of my favourites. It'd make a good trading card.

Also nice to see the Gentleman Ghost, who is a particular favourite of mine as well.

No mention of DC's Jack O'Lantern? While not quite as classic or... pumpkiny as Marvel's, he's still got a pretty cool look, I think.
Drunken_Lemur408 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 09:04 AM       
Would any of the Yellow Lanterns count? They do draw their power from fear, so there's bound to be someone who fits the bill. And how about Trigon or Mephisto, you don't think that devils count as Halloweenish but Green Goblin can be in because he's got Pumpkin Bombs? Well, maybe next year.
Forum Virgin
Pip is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM       
Quote:
Seriously, you'll be hard pressed to think of a batman villian that wouldn't be considered either a monster straight from a horror movie and/or a guy in a halloween costume if they were taken out of the context of the books.
Julian Day comes to mind...Poison Ivy somewhat.

Next year, I want to see Demogoblin and Nightwatch though.
Forum Virgin
TuxKamen is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 01:00 PM       
Dr. Destiny may look like a Skeletor derivative, but he's extremely evil. In one issue I read about (made #1 comic book horror moment in one of Wizard Magazine's lists), he broke out of Arkham with Sandman's jewel and used it to psychologically torture and eventually kill the patrons in a diner.
LadyMage is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM       
I think etrigan reminds you of halloween cause he is a hell fire demon that could rip you in half easily (although you can hurt him with a fire extinguisher which is pretty funny)
HowardC is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 02:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Julian Day comes to mind...Poison Ivy somewhat.

Next year, I want to see Demogoblin and Nightwatch though.
Well Posion Ivy always reminded me of the classic "EVE" costume but that could be argued. As for Calendar man he literally used to dress up as a giant calendar, so again, guy in a lame off-the-shelf halloween costume.
Kwisatz Haderach
Muadi'ib is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM       
Great article proto. I honestly thought Dr. Destiny stayed inactive after Sandman.

I'm surprised there weren't any JTHM characters in here. Senior Diablo, The Dough Boys, Wall Monster or even Johnny himself.
Julio is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 05:45 PM       
I think that Scourge of the Underworld should make it to the list.
That damn kid
Hangie is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 05:47 PM       
Damn, I'm surprised you didn't use a picture of doctor destiny from "Arkham Asylum: Serious House on Serious Earth", he was much scarier there, even though he was defeated by being pushed down a flight of stairs in a wheel chair D:
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 06:37 PM       
HowardC: Yeah, I agree about the Batman cast, but a line had to be drawn somewhere. Since this was supposed to include characters from many comics, I just picked the most Halloweeny Batman character.

DarkfireTaimatsu: I'm actually not familiar with DC's Jack-o-Lantern. And there's no picture on that Wikipedia page so I still don't know what he looks like.

Drunken_Lemur408: There may be someone among the Yellow Lanterns who could make the list. And a guy who has little mini jack-o-lantern bombs and dresses like a pointy eared green goblin? Hell yes he's more Halloweeny than just some crappy demon dude!

TuxKamen: Oh, absolutely. Reread the paragraph I wrote about him, and you'll see I reference that Sandman shit.

Hangie: That was simply the best pic of Dr. Destiny that I could find online.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM       
Wait, do the Black Lanterns count? They are Zombies. Although then you would have to throw in the entire cast of Marvel Zombies as well. Dead Man probably fits though. Also,I will admit that they're not as Halloweeny as the Green Goblin, Mephisto and Trigon fit because Halloween is always being associated with the devil.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM       
Quote:
I still don't know what he looks like.

Totally not a ripoff of another well-known hero with "lantern" in his name. Nope.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM       
He's even got his own little Trick or Treat bucket! Oh, and his powers seem pretty good for a haunted house.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 10:38 PM       
The best part is that the "bucket" has his face on it.
Temperamental Texan
Senor Booyah is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 11:14 PM       
Disney wouldn't have made nearly so much money had they gone with that Little Mermaid design.
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 02:28 AM       
I actually have a comic somewhere that references Jack-o-Lanterns origins. One of these days, I'll have to find it.

And how about Nightcrawler for a Halloween character? With the Brimstone BAMF and demonic look, I'd say he fits the bill.
King of the Monsters
Primortal is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 02:55 AM       
What??? No mention of Marvel's Scarecrow??? Dude was warped. Like a bizarre kinda slasher villain almost. :P

Great list.
Forum Virgin
TuxKamen is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 05:36 AM       
Primortal, I'd agree with you there. I have the second DC Vs. Marvel issue, where the two universes Scarecrows are stalking either Lois Lane or Mary Jane (been so long since I've read the issue), right after Killer Croc and Wolverine bust out of the sewer, fighting eachother. As for Etrigan, I was going to mention earlier I have a comic where the Joker accidentally summoned him (he was trying for Lucifer, but called Etrigan instead by using rhyming verse). Joker eventually made a deal with the Demon (but since it was just part one of an arc, I don't know how it all turned out). He also had a pretty funny part in "I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League" where Blue Beetle catches him not rhyming, and he just says, "So sue me."
Forum Virgin
rabid-penguin is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM       
Hah. "Bushmaster" on that comic page made me laugh.
God of Pickled Toast
L0K1 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM       
What about Ragman and Simon Dark? Especially Simon Dark.
Forum Virgin
pij is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM       
From the lesbian version of Robin to Disney animated jailbait: The story of the Little Mermaid.