Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:24 PM        Multinational peace keepers in Iraq?
If this is really the plan, it's a huge step forward.

US Proposes multinational force in Iraq
Peacekeepers would have yearlong mandate

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The United States on Monday proposed a United Nations resolution that would give a multinational peacekeeping force in Iraq a one-year mandate after Iraq assumes sovereignty June 30.

The mandate could be renewed by the U.N. Security Council or at the request of Iraq's government, Germany's U.N. ambassador Gunther Pleuger said.

The multinational force would be "under unified command," expected to be led by an American.

The mandate would give the interim government control over oil revenues, though proceeds would continue to be deposited in the Development Fund for Iraq.

That fund will continue to be monitored by an independent watchdog agency, the International Advisory and Monitoring Board.

U.N. envoy Lakdhar Brahimi is in talks to select members of an interim government, which will hold power until January, when elections are scheduled.

President Bush was expected to outline the command structure of the proposed peacekeeping force in a televised speech Monday night at 8 p.m. ET, aides said.