Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chimichanga enthusiast
Xystus is probably a spambot
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:35 AM        Does anyone here like Power Metal?
topic. I am a huge fan of this genre, from Sonata Arctica to the more obscure Twilightning. If there's anyone even remotely interested on this, I can suggest a few awesome bands!
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM       
Are Dragon Force power metal?

If so, I hate it.
Chimichanga enthusiast
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:35 AM       
Yes it is, but it is honestly the worst example of power metal you could find. The thing is that a whole lot of power metal is bad, but some gems bright here and there - not every power metal song consists of non-stop guitars with incessant screaming.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 01:04 PM       
Funny, I always considered Twilightning to be in the exact same boat as Dragonforce and the cockroach-like Rhapsody of Fire.

That being said, I greatly enjoy instrumental shredders like Gary Hoey and Joe Stump (NOT Inglefuck Malmsteen), though I'm not sure they would go under the genre of "Power Metal".

God, I'm a fucking dork.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM       
what about blind guardian
Chimichanga enthusiast
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus View Post
Funny, I always considered Twilightning to be in the exact same boat as Dragonforce and the cockroach-like Rhapsody of Fire.
ugh, really? I really enjoy Twilightning (I'll be the first to admit their lyrics are fucking crazy though) but I am not a fan of Dragonforce. What about Xystus, do you know them? They are quite underrated imho.
Do I smell an Iron Maiden reference on your custom title?

executioneer; I am not a big fan of Blind Guardian either, but have you ever heard Sonata Arctica? If what you're asking is "is it power metal" then yes, it is.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM       
The reference you detect is to a man by the name of Coleridge, and the spectacularly good shit he smoked with Reverend Charles Dodgson. Though I do like Maiden's version.

To answer any further questions about my support of goth or melodramatic D&D metal bands, "No."
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM       
i'm basically only a fan of bg cause of nightfall in middle-earth, the rest of their catalog i'm vastly indifferent to

AND YES ONE TIME I READ THE SILMARILLION WHILE LISTENING TO THAT ALBUM I KNOW I AM A GYA
Vanhelm13 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:56 PM       
Iced Earth is pretty awesome.
and don't call dragonforce power metal
They're not even music.
Mongoloid
Cedar is probably a spambot
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 09:31 PM       
i don't like powermetal
IWORKFORTHEMAN:MAN
Misdemonar is probably a spambot
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM       
dio is the only one
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:49 AM       
why does everyone hate dragonforce? :<
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:42 AM       
cause they suck live?

I don't really like power metal, but I do like Shower Metal!
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdemonar View Post
dio is the only one
Seconded.
Choking Hazard
Spetsnaz is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype View Post
why does everyone hate dragonforce? :<
Dragonforce speeds up their album recordings to make it look like they can play faster.

For example, Through the Fires and Flames... If you try to play it on GH 3, or just even listen to it, you get the idea that Dragonforce is some insanely fast super shredding band.

You watch them live, you know this is very, very untrue.

And as far as Power Metal goes, I fucking love Battlelore.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM       
The thing with Dragonforce is, while the guitar work is undoubtedly technically impressive it doesn't manage to disguise the fact that the actual songs are really dreadful.
Choking Hazard
Spetsnaz is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM       
Lyrically and originality wise, their songs suck.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 08:01 PM       
You've got a huge boner for not Dragonforce.
A Total Fairy
Trash is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 09:09 PM       
I hate the fact that almost all power metal sounds so god damn happy.
The Lion King seemed innocent enough, didn't it? But did we really notice all the issues of assault on morality and ethics the first time we watched it? I sure did not. It was not until I sat down with a pragmatic open mind did I even realize the scope of moral violations the 83-minute The Lion King fed our minds.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM       
Is steely dan power metal?
Kilgore Cod is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM       
I worship Blind Guardian.

I don't care for Dragonforce. They sound too fake, especially after watching several videos of them failing to play their own material properly live.

Sonata Arctic is wayyy too limp-wristed for my tastes.

off the top of my head, Power Metal bands I like:

Lost Horizon
The Dogma
Gamma Ray
Helloween (up to Keepers II only)
Kamelot
Iced Earth
Hibria
Nevermore
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 12:21 AM       
I tend to like most power metal, though I've heard some pretty awful shit

I like Dragonforce despite what people say. I don't really care if they don't sound the same live as the do in the studio. I mean, it's the STUDIO with a lot of machines and special recording devices and they can do as many takes as they want.

I think a lot of the negativity they get tends to stem from the fact that they're getting some mainstream attention (the song on Guitar Hero 3, etc) and once that happens, fans of certain genres get all pissy about who else is now listening to the music.

And power metal lyrics are supposed to be cheesy, IMO. Like Manowar and Rhapsody.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 12:28 AM       
BTW, I never heard of Twilightning before so I checked them out on Youtube... pretty good stuff
Chimichanga enthusiast
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 02:38 PM       
They are! If there's something I don't like about them, it's the lyrics. They are completely insane. However the sweet guitar makes up for it

@kilgore cod; a friend sent me "Love you to Death" by Kamelot, and I think it is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Could you recommend me a good album by them?

Also it is weird because I like Helloween but only post-Keepers II lol

ps.: Last.fm is a good site if you want to check bands out. I leave you with a song by Xystus, Why Me? - this is probably their heaviest song, if you would like to check out more stuff by them, visit http://www.last.fm/music/Xystus
Forum Virgin
Darktrooper11 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM       
Power metals awesome, Blind Guardian and Helloween own. Dragon Force are rather Fake...