Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shadowdancer21b is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM        Fantastic Movies by X-Strike Studios
I want to begin by saying I LOVE X-Strike Studios. These fellas make great low-budget movies. They are all gamers, and most of them have degrees related to acting, film production, theatre, or other related fields. River City Rumble, their first film, was made while they were attending college and Fredonia University in New York. At the time, many of the crew lived in Buffalo and some local areas are recognizable ( so I am told). This movie is available for $10.00 plus shipping at www.x-strikestudios.com. I recommend purchasing it.
So to begin my review proper (Who are we kiddin', a PROPER review?).

Alex, Ryan, and their friend whose name escapes me cut class at Crosstown High and are walking away from the parking lot to plan what they will do with their time. Ryan goes to meet hisgirlfriend Cyndi who had a short day and was released early from River City High and plan to go shopping. Friend (played brilliantly by Chad Williams) goes to meet with his girlfriend also and makes some sexual jokes before declaring that he is "Out like the gout!". Alex, crestfallen and angry, goes to a video game store to find something that tickles his fancy, in a "Not a metaphor for masturbation" kind of way. He finds a fun NES game that very clearly resembles their town! Ryan gets beaten up by Randy and Andy, who are twins (I promise). Randy-or was it Andy?-puts a ransom note in Ryan's mouth as he and his brother leave with unconscious Cyndi over Andy's shoulder(Randy?). Ryan immediately calls Alex, who based on the music in the background, is playing River City Ransom, a game made by the same company that made Double Dragon, Technos Japan. Together they fight their way through River City to reach River City High to rescue Cyndi and stop the mysterious and nefarious Slick, who is not a ninja, but wearing a mask to build suspense. They must make their way through gangs like the Generic Dudes, the Frat Guys (who are high school students...and wear pink), the Internationals, the Plague, all four Zombies, and the Home Boys to name just a few. And no, those gang members don't look like other gang members, they are completely different people, not the same actors wearing different colored t-shirts...okay, some of them are the same actors...
This film is a lot of fun. It's got some great laughs and nods to the game, gaming in general, and other geeky topics (Favorite line by David Autovino who played Ryan: BITCH! I AM the prince of all Saiyans!). Give it a watch. The trailer is on Youtube, as well as other X-Strike Studios projects. Also worth note is the small role Benny, by Brett Vanderbrook-that's right, Captain S is in this movie- who actually had people wondering if he was Latino from his outrageous accent. Many X-Strikers went on to form PBC Productions, makers of Little Miss Gamer, The New Adventures of Captain S, and other fine internet-based programming.

The camera work leaves a little to be desired and the dialogue is kinda lame at times, but the fight choreography is great and the acting is pretty darn good. I give it 4.5 out of 5. The bonus half a point is for the OODLES of bonus features on the DVD. Highlight is a music video by DJ Potato himself, Eric Ruth (Yes, THE Eric Ruth. Creator of 8-Bit Left 4 Dead and the AVGN Angry Video Game).

"They came for Fighting. They also came for eating burger".

Last edited by MLE : Oct 10th, 2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 09:38 PM       
No comments. Ouch. X-strikestudios rule!
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 09:27 PM       
I only lament that I don't have a decent copy of White Dawn anymore. That was great.
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 09:28 PM       
Also, Rory has no good lines in RCR.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 12:02 AM       
Holy shit you have a copy of White Dawn?!! WHO ARE YOU? Also, Rory is indeed given no good lines in RCR. All the other zombies, well, except Steve, have better lines.
CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 01:16 AM       
I lived with Eric Ruth for many years. We used to have one of the only copies of it, but ours got messed up, and all the X-strike members hate it, so they wouldn't give us another copy.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 01:21 AM       
I was gonna mention that he did the 8-Bit Left4Dead, but i dint wanna look like a dick coz i don't know 'im well.

I did enjoy getting insulted by him during MockWars, though. Shit, that was great.
CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 01:27 AM       
Hahahahaha. I'm pretty sure RoG still hates him for no reason. Chojin and I both lived with him, by the way. This way I don't have him coming in here and being all like TAKING ALL THE CREDIT AGAIN I SEE.
CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 01:35 AM       
Oh, and http://www.i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19164
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 12:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLE View Post
Haha, wow, it's been so long since I read that. Still hilarious.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM       
Oh, and I found the photo on facebook where Chojin, Eric Ruth, and I met Freezepop.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 04:30 PM       
:O DREAMTEAM
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM       
Sweetness.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM       
I think they tried to get me to buy it when it came out but for $15. I didn't buy it.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:40 PM       
It's $10 now.
CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:51 PM       
I'd pay $15 for RCR and White Dawn.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 09:07 AM       
Maybe it would make a good secret santa gift for someone.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM        Silent Horror by X-Strike Studios
Today I review X-Strike Studios second feature, Silent Horror. This is a parody of Silent Hill and other survival horror games. This one was directed by Rory O'Boyle and features Brett Vanderbrook in a leading role this time around playing Mark London. Also getting promoted from minor role status are Steve Smith and Rich Durham for this time around. The film opens with Ross Busch and Sara Reis playing a couple whose car broke down (of course). They wander the woods while the girlfriend complains and the boyfriends behaves like a raver stereotype-with hilarious dialogue I wish to add. They get separated (of course) and the boyfriend gets killed by an unseen foe (of course). The next scene we see Brett Vanderbrook struggle to stay awake while driving and collide with Steve Smith. Steve Smith picks himself off the ground and exclaims "Ow, my pride". So we know he's okay.

Mark (Vanderbrook) explains to Simon Briggs, who goes by Briggs (Smith) that he came here to Quiet Knoll because he got a phone call from his friend who was supposed to have been dead for some time. They pick up Lea (Reis) and agree to take her to town for help so that the authorities will be notified of her boyfriend's death. This film has some great atmosphere for actual scares maybe. Scared my wife at least. I also got a little creeped out. Mostly though it is a comedy and it has a LOT of great jokes, especially referencing the conventions of Survival Horror games. Especially early Playstation horror games. The acting, as usual, is spot-on. My only complaint is with Sara Reis. I did not like her performance at all. I also want to give a special shout out to Rich Durham as cult leader Gabriel Augustine. He has some of the best lines. Darrin Demarco plays a great crazy guy with real awesome lines such as "I don't want to end up as munchies and crunchies for some monster!". Tim Ekkebus also gave a great performance. I love this movie. It is, to date, my favorite X-Strike title. I give it 5/5.

Again, oodles of bonus features and even easter eggs. Fantastic music by Dale North.

"In this town, kill is a four-letter word".

Shadowdancer out!

Last edited by Shadowdancer21b : Sep 22nd, 2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Corrections.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM        Resident Horror by X-Strike Studios
At long last the review of Resident Horror, the sequel to Silent Horror. This film continues the mocking of survival horror traditions and distinguishing gameplay features. This has the largest cast of any X-Strike film to date. Almost everyone who has acted in a previous film is here. Conspicuously absent is Jeuse Cutler, who nevertheless contributed behind the scenes.

Our story follows young cop Tokeen Jackson, played by Casey Bowker who the observant will recall as being Blade in River City Rumble and several roles in Low Budget Pictures films. Tokeen is reporting for his first day on the S.P.A.R.S (Super Police Action Rescue Squad) team. Shortly after being introduced to his new teammates Sherman Booker (George Steffler), Gil Armstrong (Ben Lathan), Polly Gackt , Ned Cumorah (Matthew Mahoney), Clyde (David Autovino who you may recognize from recent Sports Authority commercials), and Captain Dillbert Wisker (Tim Ekkebus).

The team responds to a distress call in the nearby Arkay Mountains (just outside of Badger City). In the mountains and surrounding woods they encounter a zombie. They also meet a group of mercenaries in the employ of the Parasol Corporation. The mercenaries include DeDe (Meredith Schichtel), Asskick Broadchest (Ross Busch), THUNK Painshatter (Rory O'Boyle), Johnny Reshirt (Darrin Demarco), Carlito Chavito (Hector Martinez), and Edward Freaking Lyndsey (Rich Durham). They seek to contain the spread of the Wa T-Virus and fight not only zombies but "Scylla" and "Charybdis". Hilarious dialogue and nods to games abound. Also worth noting is music by Dale North, Glenn Case and Shael Riley. The usual bundle of great bonus features that are to be expected from an X-Strike release include two short films from Dark Maze Studios and PBC Productions respectively. The short from Dark Maze is an adventure from their "Press Start" series that you may have heard of. The PBC short is a parody of Silent Hill 4: The Room titled interestingly enough, "The Room".

The fight choreography was good, the jokes are frequent and hold up after many viewings. I give it a four out of five.

Shadowdancer out!
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM       
I don't mean to burst your bubble here, but that looks awful.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM       
what the hell why don't you go marry x-strike studios
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 01:17 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Melvin View Post
I don't mean to burst your bubble here, but that looks awful.
Shoestring budget video game parody movies. What are ya gonna do?
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 02:37 AM       
not watch them
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 01:09 PM       
PROJECT SNAKE: LOW-BUDGET ESPIONAGE

This is a parody of Metal Gear: Solid. Directed by Darrin Demarco and starring the majority of the crew we've come to know by now, including appearances by Cory Golabeck and Matthew Mahoney, who also served as the military advisor.

If you know anything about Metal Gear: Solid you know the plot. This stays faithful directly to the story...well, sorta. There are lots of references to odd things in the game. Worth note is the performance of J.C. "Kitty" Ostopowicz of "The New Adventures of Captain S" fame and I also loved the fight choreography. Very well-executed. Overall, I give this one a 4/5. I know the budget is low and the effects are crappy, but the acting is good and the dialogue is hilarious. Shadowdancer out!

Last edited by Shadowdancer21b : Nov 16th, 2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: video embed