Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:19 PM        Helm buys new computer. You suggest the parts.
Think big money. I need it for high end maya stuff as well as Half Life 2. Go nuts.

OH I KNOW I WILL GET THE FOLLOWING ALRED YSO YOU DON'T HAVE TO SUGGEST THEM:

KEYBOARD
MOUSE
SCREEN
BOX LOL

SO PLZ SUGGEST HARDWARE BECAUSE HELM'S TECH KNOWLEDGE IS OPUTDATED THAKNS LL)
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:16 PM       
I will go fairly sensible, yet pretty high end.

video card: you NEED to go ati from what the early hl2 benchmarks show. I suggest a ati 9800 non pro costs 200-250

motherboard

for intel: ABIT IC7-Max3 costs 200-250 sure it is one of the most expensive p4 boards around but it is "the bomb"

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=130

or for a cheaper less feature packed board ABIT IS7 probaly what i would do to save some cash, considering you dont lose too mcuh speed. cost ~100

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...ies=1&model=79

for amd:

EPOX 8RDA3+ I have a slightly older model it is pretty good. costs about 110

http://web.epox.com/html/motherboard...DA3plus&lang=1

There are tons of other decent choices though for both amd and intel. basically you will want an amd board based on the nforce 2 chipset or an intel board based on the 865 or 875 chipsets. Other brands worth checking out are MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus

memory: all these boards use dual channel memory system so you should get 2 sticks of matching ram. I would suggest 2 512 sticks.
I would also get fairly fast stuff pc3200 or higher. Get a good brand, corsair, kingston, mushkin...

cpu: All depends on how fast you want to go.

just check pricewatch.com I would say at least a pentium 4 2.4C(make sure it is a c model) or an amd 2500xp

powersupply: i wouldnt go less than 350. and get a decent brand, antec, enermax, sparkle.

hard drive: size or speed. speed 36 gig 10000rpm western digital raptor. it is serial ata, the boards above will support it. this is pretty much the fastest non-scsi drive you can get. of course the cost is higher and you get less space.

or pretty much any 7200rpm drive with teh 8mb cache is pretty good.

sound: all the boards have built on sound. the sound on my board is very good but not all are, I would personally try it out first otherwise check out an audigy 2 or a turtle beach santa cruz or something.

ethernet: all on motherboard.

and if you really want more than this, i can find that for you too. but as it is prices were you are are probaly much higher.

well theres a few ideas..
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:14 PM       
Oh man thanks. That'll do just fine. I have an Audigy 2 on this computer and it's fine so I'll probably just reinstall this one. I've been thinking of two HD's. One master for operating sys and current projects and one slave for storage and archiving. Obviously the latter's gonna be a big sucker, even if it's on the slow side.

I'll probably go with the IC7-Max3 as well. A strong ati and heaps of memory. Memory's cheap here in greece so I might as well go for it.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:20 PM       
just make sure you get at least pc3200 so u can run the memory at 200mhz. or even consider getting faster if you wanna try your hand at overclocking.

and make sure you get the c model pentium 4 so u get hyperthreading and a higher front side bus.

if you are gonna do 2 drives i would get the western digital raptor for the os, and another drive for storage like you said.

that should be a badass system.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:34 PM       
JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T PLAY ANY GAMES ON YOUR NEW COMPUTER.