Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:10 PM        GOOOO! KERRY! FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP!!!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120406,00.html

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

WASHINGTON — Democrat John Kerry (search) said Wednesday he's open to nominating anti-abortion judges (search) as long as that doesn't lead to the Supreme Court overturning the landmark 1973 ruling that made abortion legal.

Kerry, the presumptive nominee of a party that overwhelmingly favors a woman's right to abortion, struck a moderate note as he lashed out at one of the high court's most conservative justices, telling The Associated Press he regrets his 1986 vote to confirm Antonin Scalia (search).

"If you're looking for me to admit that I made a mistake in my years in the Senate, there you go — there's one," said the four-term Massachusetts senator.

In a 60-minute interview with AP reporters and editors, Kerry covered a range of issues, from the economy, gun rights and his differences with President Bush to Mideast violence and the mounting death toll in Iraq (search).

If elected, Kerry promised that virtually all U.S. combat troops will be out of Iraq — away from "the death zone" — by the end of his first term.

He grudgingly gave Bush and the Republican-controlled Congress credit for the creation of 900,000 jobs this year, echoed the administration's views on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (search) and seconded Bush's decision to nominate Alan Greenspan for a fifth term as chairman of the Federal Reserve (search).

But those were fleeting passes at bipartisanship as Kerry spent the bulk of the session criticizing Bush and fleshing out his own political vision, which critics have called muddled.

"I've heard some people say, well, what's the message? What's he doing? The message is clear, folks: We're going to make America stronger at home by being fiscally responsible, investing in health care and education, becoming energy independent, and we're going to make ourselves stronger in the world by restoring America's respect and influence with a better foreign policy. It's that simple."

Kerry said Bush has damaged relations with allies to the point that only a new president can repair them. The problem is evident in Iraq, said the decorated Vietnam War veteran who promised to avert a quagmire.

"It will not be like Vietnam," Kerry said. "I will get our troops home from Iraq with honor and with the interests of our country properly protected."

How soon? "It will not take long to do what is necessary. I'm not going to give you a specific date, but I'll tell you that I have a plan and I will put that plan in place." Republican Richard M. Nixon used similar language during the 1968 presidential race, but the war dragged on for years after his election.

Saying his goal would be achieved in his first term, Kerry explained, "Look, you may have some deployments of people for a long period of time in the Middle East depending on what the overall approach to the Middle East is. I'm not going to tell you we won't shift deployments from one place to another, but we're not going to be engaged in an active kind of death zone the way we are today."

Discussing the Supreme Court and abortion, Kerry ventured into one of the nation's most sensitive political subjects at the risk of alienating powerful Democratic interests groups fighting to maintain abortion rights secured in the Roe v. Wade (search) case.

Court observers contend the justices are split 5-4 on the issue, and the next president may be able to help tilt the balance.

Calling himself a strict constructionist, a phrase Bush has used to describe himself, Kerry paraphrased former Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart and said: "A good justice is somebody that when you read their decisions you can't tell if they are Republican or Democratic or liberal or conservative, a Christian or a Jew, a Muslim, male or female. You just know you're reading a good judicial opinion."

Stewart, an Eisenhower appointee, served from 1958-1981.

Kerry said he has voted in favor of "any number of judges who are pro-life or pro-something else that I may not agree with," some of whom were nominated by Republican presidents. "But I'm going to make sure we uphold what I believe are Constitutional rights and I'm not going to pick somebody who's going to undermine those rights."

"Do they have to agree with me on everything? No," Kerry said. Asked if they must agree with his abortion-rights views, he quickly added, "I will not appoint somebody with a 5-4 Court who's about to undue Roe v. Wade. I've said that before."

"But that doesn't mean that if that's not the balance of the court I wouldn't be prepared ultimately to appoint somebody to some court who has a different point of view. I've already voted for people like that. I voted for Judge Scalia."

Presidents nominate a wide variety of federal judges, including the Supreme Court.

Asked if he regretted that vote, Kerry said, "Yes. Given what he has done on a number of cases." Kerry said he didn't see at the time "such a level of ideology and partisanship" he now sees in Scalia.

Kerry also said:

— Bush and the GOP-led Congress deserve "some credit" for jobs created this year, but he said the new employment doesn't pay nearly as much as jobs lost overseas.

— Israel has a right to defend itself with a "proper measure of restraint." Bush has used a similar two-sided approach to the issue.

— In Iraq and Guantanamo Bay, the United States should live by the tenets of the Geneva Conventions — even in instances when the treaty may not technically apply.

— He would defend the Second Amendment's (search) protections for gun owners.

— He has no intention of asking pro-Democratic groups spending millions in unlimited donations in the presidential election to stay out of the race.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:53 PM       
I'll say it again-- Yes, you will find more "flip flopping" on the part of Kerry, because he actually did the hard part of government-- he compromised. John McCain "flip flopped" on military spending votes too, because he didn't like pork that had been attached to the bill. You, Ronnie, much like every other conservative dolt, like to pretend that this isn't the way our Congress functions.

As for this matter-- he said he'd appoint pro-life judges as long as they understood their place, and protected Roe. v. Wade, something a majority of Americans agree with. This is not "flip flopping," it's just the process. If the Democrats in Congress were to attempt to block the appointment of this hypothetical judge, you'd be screaming "obstructionism." Yet another word for the ignorant who don't understand our system.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:58 PM       
How does changing his mind make him a bad politician? I think picking one position and sticking with it until you are grudgingly forced to change (by which time it is usually too late to make a difference anyways) is worse.
Mocker
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:09 PM        Re: GOOOO! KERRY! FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
Kerry also said:

— Bush and the GOP-led Congress deserve "some credit" for jobs created this year, but he said the new employment doesn't pay nearly as much as jobs lost overseas.
Where's the flip flop?

Quote:
Israel has a right to defend itself with a "proper measure of restraint." Bush has used a similar two-sided approach to the issue.
You mean, every president ever will say things like this, particularly a Democrat, in order to secure the Jewish vote....? Once again, where's the flip flop?

Quote:
In Iraq and Guantanamo Bay, the United States should live by the tenets of the Geneva Conventions — even in instances when the treaty may not technically apply.
This isn't a flip flop, this is a position he has taken. Where's the etc.....

Quote:
He would defend the Second Amendment's (search) protections for gun owners.
Read above.

Quote:
He has no intention of asking pro-Democratic groups spending millions in unlimited donations in the presidential election to stay out of the race.
He has also never been a strong supported of campaign finance reform, he voted in favor of the Campaign Reform Act of 2002 which essentially allowed these 527's to become so powerful, and he also opted out of federal matching funds, thus excluding his from FEC restrictions in the first place. Where is the flip flop...?

Weak.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:17 PM       
Quote:
he said he'd appoint pro-life judges as long as they understood their place, and protected Roe. v. Wade, something a majority of Americans agree with.
understand their place? Its their job to interpret the laws.

And when was it ever determined more than 50% of Americans support RvD( even if it did matter)? What about the Supreme Court overstepping the Constitution by ruling on what was clearly a state issue?
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:56 PM       
Kevin, why is this so hard to understand?

He regrets Scalia yet he'll nominate another judge just like Scalia.

WoW!

When I refer to his flip flops I'm also referring to his personal statements as well as his votes.
Mocker
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:46 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
understand their place? Its their job to interpret the laws.
Right, and no judge will ïnterpret"the law against Roe v. Wade. You act as if federal judges aren't also politicians who make timely decisions in their own best interest.

Quote:
And when was it ever determined more than 50% of Americans support RvD( even if it did matter)?
Most polling shows that people are opposed to abortion in varying degrees. Those very same people oppose over-turning Roe.

Quote:
What about the Supreme Court overstepping the Constitution by ruling on what was clearly a state issue?
I love the evasive "state's right" argument. Look, I don'r care to debate Roe, my point was that the court won't overturn Roe, and Kerry essentially prefaced his statement about "conservative judges" with that, be it guised or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
He regrets Scalia yet he'll nominate another judge just like Scalia.
You mean he'll appoint a qualified judge despite ideology if given the opportunity??? FOR SHAME! He needs to be more partisan, more ideologically driven, no?

It may come as a surprise to you, but Roe v. Wade isn't the only thing the Supreme Court has to worry about over the course of the next 20 to 30 years. You act as if the appointment of "änother Scalia" would result in the national banning of abortions. It won't.

Quote:
When I refer to his flip flops I'm also referring to his personal statements as well as his votes.
Right, and now you should actually response and defend those claims, rather than just reiterating the statement.

You listed "flip flops" above. Can you respond to that?
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:59 AM       
So all pro choice people are "Just like Scalia"?

Man, you live in the most 2-D world. You're so binary it's beyond belief.

Have you ever changed your mind about anything, ever? If not, shame on you. If so, do you think of it as flip flopping? Have you ever admitted a mistake? If not, shame on you. When you came on this board charging W with un-republican bahvior, did I say you flip-flopped? And when did flip-flopping become an accpetable descriptive term period, let alone a measure by which to judge a candidate? What are we, grade schoolers?

If there's such a thing as flip flopping, there's it's polar oposite as well. It's when someone stciks to there view of story even when every shred of evidence says they are wrong. As in "Donald Rumsfled is doing a superb job." or "There were weapons of mass Destruction. We found them!"

John Kerry is not my ideal candidate. But my choice is between him and a venal, dangerous, simple, selfish, arrogant , childish, privilidged frat boy bully. Since no one here is campioniong Kerry, I don't know what battle you're fighting. No one here is the kind of rah rah go team pom pom waver you are. It's as if you are so sure that your way is the only way, you think we must support our candidate the way you support yours, so that's what your fighting against.

Now you go "Blah, blah, blah Max. Kerry flip flops. Accept it."

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:13 AM       
Max, you dumbass hooked nosed fag, Kerry changes his postion on almost EVERYTHING all the freakin time! Do you call that "changing your mind" or "pandering for votes?"
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:16 AM       
Sell me your unused website, pussychicken.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM       
I already did. Sorry you missed out on it.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:44 AM       
3/26/04 9:29 AM CST

Those Wacky Japanese.....

Mocker
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:18 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Max, you dumbass hooked nosed fag, Kerry changes his postion on almost EVERYTHING all the freakin time! Do you call that "changing your mind" or "pandering for votes?"
Give examples. Cite them, maybe provide links, or simply shut the hell up. Put up or shut up, sailor.
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:21 AM       
See, now there's flip flop, saying you'll post a submarine letter and then not posting it.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:22 AM       
:subletter