Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM        DeLay Lands Coveted Appropriations Spot
WTF!!?

So I suppose the message here is that Tom DeLay can't be trusted as the #2 Republican in the House, but he's a PERFECT representative on arguably the most powerful committee. I mean, if there's anybody I'd like in control of how money gets spent, it's a guy who has been indicted on corruption and bribery charges.

Ans Barack Obama thought that this Congress might drag their feet on lobby reform. What a fool.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1595524

DeLay Lands Coveted Appropriations Spot

Indicted Rep. Tom DeLay Lands Spot on Appropriations Committee
By ANDREW TAYLOR

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Indicted Rep. Tom DeLay, forced to step down as the No. 2 Republican in the House, scored a soft landing Wednesday as GOP leaders rewarded him with a coveted seat on the Appropriations Committee.

DeLay, R-Texas, also claimed a seat on the subcommittee overseeing the Justice Department, which is currently investigating an influence-peddling scandal involving disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff and his dealings with lawmakers. The subcommittee also has responsibility over NASA a top priority for DeLay, since the Johnson Space Center is located in his Houston-area district.

"Allowing Tom DeLay to sit on a committee in charge of giving out money is like putting Michael Brown back in charge of FEMA Republicans in Congress just can't seem to resist standing by their man," said Bill Burton, spokesman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

GOP leaders also named California Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon as chairman of the Education and the Workforce Committee. Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, vacated that post after winning a campaign to replace DeLay.

McKeon is a seven-term conservative who has a generally good relationship with educators. He authored a 2001 law to remove disincentives for workers who would have lost part of their Social Security benefits when switching jobs to become public school teachers.

DeLay was able to rejoin the powerful Appropriations panel he was a member until becoming majority leader in 2003 because of a vacancy created after the resignation of Randy "Duke" Cunningham, R-Calif. Cunningham pleaded guilty in November to charges relating to accepting $2.4 million in bribes for government business and other favors.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © 2006 ABC News Internet Ventures
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 02:04 PM       
The Republicans are redefining arrogance.

Must be because the own all the voting machines.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 04:30 PM       
I absolutely cannot understand why anyone with an IQ over 30 would vote republican...
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:54 AM       
Because of them QUEERS.