Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Les Waste is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:18 PM        Reggae, and why I fucking hate everybody
Ok, this is an old story, but it still pisses me off.

A few months ago, I was sitting on my couch, probably playing video games, and listening to music. The song that was playing was Conquer the Dragon by Beenie Man, which is a fucking awesome song and if you don't know who Beenie Man is then go fucking download some songs or buy them or whatever.

My roommate and his idiot friend walked in, and my roommate's friend asked me who the artist was. I told him it was Beenie man and he had the fucking gall to say "oh, I thought it was Bob Marley."

And this is something that has pissed me the fuck off for years. People seem to think that the only reggae artist who has ever lived was Bob Marley. People seem to think that Bob Marley was the first and last person to ever do a reggae song. If I asked basically every single person I know to name a reggae artist whose last name isn't Marley, nobody could do it.

Normally, this wouldn't bug me. I listen to some pretty obscure rap music so I'm used to people having no idea what I'm listening to (one of my favorite rappers has only actually been on like three or four albums, and sold his own, shitty sounding album on a CD-R over the internet. And it was still a great album ). Hell, I'm used to people never hearing about the rappers I like who are successful and at least semi-famous. Nobody seems to know who Dead Prez are, for example.

But what pisses me off is that so many people claim to love reggae, yet nobody can name a reggae artist other than Bob Marley (or Ziggy Marley, but that doesn't count ). It would be like if I said "I love rock music!" and someone asked me who in particular I liked and I said "Elvis," but then I couldn't name a single other person. If I said that, someone would say to me "Then you dont' like rock music, do you? You like Elvis, you dumb fucking cunt."

If this wasn't bad enough, most people who say they love Bob Marley only own a single album of his: The Legend album. Which is a good album, but he made, oh I don't know, one or two other albums.

IN ADDITION, most people don't even know all the songs from the album. They know No Woman No Cry, One Love, and maybe Buffalot Solider and I Shot the Sheriff. Sometimes Jamming, but usually not.

So not only do people only know of one reggae artist, but they only have one album of his, and they only know like three or four songs from that album. And these people consider themselves fans of the genre.

Jesus Fucking Christ, I can not wait for the sun to become a red giant and swallow the fucking earth. I can't wait that many billion years.
Bobo Adobo is funnier and smarter than all of you, proven by the fact that he is currently in a high-paying and important government job where he earns a fat cash paycheck and much pussy. How did he get so famous and successful you ask? It's simple: he has never, in his entire life, watched one second of anime.
- Outerspacekid

Angry Rasta is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:28 PM       
YAH MON!! KILL THE BITCHES!!! USE A GUN!!

MAKE THEM PAY FOR NOT OWNING A COPY OF JUNIOR REID'S ONE BLOOD.

NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:30 PM       
I FUCKING DISPISE PEOPLE WHO WEAR SHIRTS THAT SAY "LISTIEN TO BOB MARLEY"

I asked some guy once, who was wearing that shirt, if he really did listien to Bob Marley, and he said "No"

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:18 PM       
but reggae sucks
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:49 PM       
There was something wrong with your post Chojin, you said "but reggae sucks," when you clearly meant "reggae is bodacious!" It's a simple mistake that anybody could make, really.

You're welcome.
Bobo Adobo is funnier and smarter than all of you, proven by the fact that he is currently in a high-paying and important government job where he earns a fat cash paycheck and much pussy. How did he get so famous and successful you ask? It's simple: he has never, in his entire life, watched one second of anime.
- Outerspacekid
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:46 PM       
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 11:39 PM       
soundtest
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:06 AM       
I like traditional Balkan chanting, but you don't see me throwing a hissy fit because nobodys ever heard of my favorite choirs.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:49 AM       
ROFL

indeed, but there aren't people going around pretending to like traditional Balkan chanting, but really have only heard of the one, most popular Balkan chanting choir.
- Outerspacekid
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:29 AM       
The funny thing is, I can stand most Reggae except Bob Marley.

Everytime I even think of his face, I conjure up the image of college trustafarians hitting bongs in a dilapidated frat house. His music isn't so bad, but four years of college have tainted it for me.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:44 AM       
Well yes...I suppose.
It would also be hard because the Newark Balkan Chorus has only put out one hard to find CD, and because Kazaa has only two other Balkan choirs.
It sucks to be into a completely obscure genre of music.
Amazon has a selection that looks kind of promising...I just wish there were more audio samples.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:09 PM       
I like the 70's era reggae and I like a variety of rap but I don't like the reggae-rap hybrid. etertosh

Wherever you go, there you are.

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:36 PM       
Who got da keys to ma beema?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:22 PM       
I listen to reggae from the 1930's
- Outerspacekid

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:28 PM       
I listen to the Steel Drum Band from the Super Dave Osborne Show.
kilmie polanski is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:27 PM       
i play the soundtrack from Monkey Island 2 in my head :/

and maybe 1
crash0814 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:38 PM       
Not fond of reggae. But I do know who Beenie Man is. Does that make me cool?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:32 PM       
I want to say not really, since he's one of the most famous reggae artists of the past twenty years, and has done successful pop hits with people like Janet Jackson and Wyclef Jean.

However, nobody else seems to know who he is regardless of that, so, yes.
- Outerspacekid
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:51 PM       
reggae

-willie
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:22 PM       
I listen to Bad Brains.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:25 PM       
I dont think they count
crash0814 is probably a spambot