Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:56 AM        Army raids Ahmad Chalabi's home, party office
http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentSe...=1084907712286

Chalabi protests over 'Ba'ath-led' raid on his offices

By Fiona Symon
Published: May 20 2004 16:10 | Last Updated: May 20 2004 16:10

Relations between the Coalition Provisional Authority and its erstwhile ally Ahmad Chalabi plunged to an all-time low on Thursday after US troops raided his house and offices in
Baghdad.

After the raid in which US soldiers, backed by Iraqi police removed computers, files and other equipment, Mr Chalabi, a prominent member of the US-appointed Governing Council, pronounced that his relations with the CPA were "non-existent".

The Iraqi National Congress leader told a news conference that the raid had been led by an ex-Ba'ath party member, and that the raid had been engineered by Ba'athists "who now control the police".

Mr Chalabi, who heads a council committee purging the administration of the upper ranks of Saddam Hussein's Ba'ath Party, has been criticised for spearheading a policy that has excluded Sunni Muslims from senior positions.

These critcisms led the US in April to announce an overhaul of the "de-Ba'athification" policy to allow some former members join an interim government being put together by the United Nations.

An incandescent Mr Chalabi said he believed the raid on his offices was politically motivated, because the CPA was unhappy with his calls for greater independence to be given to the Iraqi government and for a fraud investigation to be carried out into the UN's oil for food deal.

Mr Chalabi said the documents seized related to the UN's oil-for-food programme. Responding to these charges, Dan Senor, a CPA spokesman said that it was an "Iraqi-initiated and Iraqi-led investigation".

Paul Bremer, head of the CPA has authority for referring any case to central criminal court, but would only become involved "after a serious and thorough investigation run by the Iraqis" said Mr Senor.

Mr Senor added that if Mr Chalabi had information that a senior Baath official, with "blood on his hands" had been allowed into the police, the CPA would be happy to receive that information.

US officials said on Tuesday the Pentagon had cut off about $340,000 a month in funding to Chalabi's INC party - payments that were made in part for intelligence gathered by the INC.

Paul Wolfowitz, deputy defense secretary, said the decision "was made in light of the process of transferring sovereignty to the Iraqi people".

Although the INC had provided useful information, "We felt it was no longer appropriate for us to continue funding in that fashion," he told a US Senate hearing.

The controversial ex-banker campaigned for years from exile against the regime of Saddam Hussein and was once touted as a possible Iraqi leader after the removal of the regime.

But he is now not expected to win a senior role in the caretaker government that takes office in July.

As his influence has waned Mr Chalabi has openly clashed with Lakhdar Brahimi, the United Nations envoy who is selecting the new government.

Western officials do not rule out the possibility that other INC officials might be picked as ministers, however.

###
Mocker
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:01 PM       
Okay, now I don't like, nor do I trust Ahmad Chalabi. I think it's shameful that he has made it on our payroll THIS long.

However, we're saying that this was an Iraqi initiated investigation, yet our soldiers are clearing the path, with Iraqi police following behind...? What's the veracity behind the allegations? Do we have concrete proof that the INC was stealing millions of dollars from the Iraqi people??

It just seems a bit odd that we would sour on him so fast?
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:21 PM       
he probably threatened to rat out the US government to the media or something.

Im surpised they didnt use him in another posed terrorist execution. he got off lucky
Mocker
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:52 PM       
Uhhh....no.

Here's another perspective:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...abi/print.html

Ahmed Chalabi's failed coup
The U.S. raids his home and headquarters in Iraq to foil his plot.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Andrew Cockburn

May 20, 2004 | The U.S. command in Baghdad raided Ahmed Chalabi's home and headquarters in Baghdad at dawn today. U.S. soldiers put a gun to his head, according to his nephew Salem Chalabi, the Associated Press reports. Chalabi aides blame the CIA and Paul Bremer, head of the Coalition Provisional Authority.

Why did the Bush administration turn against its former favorite Iraqi? Almost certainly because it realized that Chalabi, maddened by the realization that he was being excluded from the post-June 30 hand-over arrangements, was putting together a sectarian Shiite faction to destabilize and destroy the new Iraqi government. "This all started since [U.N. envoy Lakhdar] Brahimi announced that Chalabi would be kept out of the new arrangement," says an Iraqi political observer who is not only long familiar with Chalabi himself but also in close touch with key actors, including U.S. officials at the CPA and Iraqi politicians.

"Ahmed is gathering groups to bring this new government down even before July 1. He is in a very destructive phase, mobilizing forces to make sure the U.N. initiative -- due to be announced in 10 days -- fails." Chalabi has reportedly been inflaming his recruits with reports that veteran Algerian diplomat Brahimi is part of a Sunni conspiracy bent on undermining the rights of Iraqi Shiites to hold power in Iraq.

Some of his followers are drawn from the faction of the historic Shiite Dawa Party that has been excluded from "official" politics by the occupation authority and that has been giving support in the streets to Muqtada al-Sadr. Others, however, are prominent in Iraqi politics, most notably Ayatollah Mohammed Bahr al-Uloom, a former chairman of the Iraqi Governing Council usually described as a "moderate" Shiite cleric. Bahr al-Uloom is also father of the minister of oil, Ibrahim Bahr al-Uloom, one of Chalabi's key allies and a potentially very profitable liaison. Two other members of the Governing Council are also considered close adherents of Chalabi, who recently inaugurated the Supreme Shia Council, modeled on a similar entity that flourished in Lebanon during that country's bloody civil war. Among other entities included in the council are Iraqi members of Hezbollah.

"His dream has always been to be a sectarian Shia leader," says the Iraqi political observer of his old friend Chalabi. "He knows that, sooner or later, Muqtada al-Sadr is going to be killed, [and] that will leave tens, hundreds, of thousands of his followers adrift, looking for a new leader. If Ahmed plays the role of victim after [today's raid], he can take on that role."

U.S. disenchantment with Chalabi has been growing since it dawned on the White House and the Pentagon that everything he had told them about Iraq -- from Saddam Hussein's fiendish weapons arsenal to the crowds who would toss flowers at the invaders to Chalabi's own popularity in Iraq -- had been completely false. Some months ago King Abdullah of Jordan was surprised to be informed by President Bush that the king could "piss on Chalabi." Fanatic neoconservatives like Richard Perle and Michael Rubin may have continued to champion Chalabi, insisting that the United States should have imposed him as Iraq's ruler right after the invasion, but elsewhere in Washington his stock has been dropping like a stone.

This week the Pentagon finally cut off his $340,000 monthly subsidy. Chalabi himself has been denouncing the U.S. occupation since last fall, partly in an effort to win some credibility with the Iraqi masses. In private, his aides spoke of occupation administrator Bremer as an "anti-Arab and anti-Muslim who doesn't understand a thing about Iraq," but Chalabi was not yet ready to cut all ties. Only when it became apparent that the United States was giving full support to Brahimi, who in turn made no secret of his contempt for Chalabi, a convicted embezzler who faces a 22-year sentence in Jordan (Brahimi's daughter recently married a Jordanian prince), did Chalabi's rhetoric turn viciously sectarian. At the same time, he began preparations to destroy the political structure that the United States is desperately trying to assemble. As Chalabi's old acquaintance told me today, "I think the U.S. moved against him because they realized he is a gambler, ready to bring it all down."
###
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:40 PM       
It's no surprise that the day after he was officially cut from the Pentagon Payroll he was publicly humiliated. This will almost certainly be followed by his arrest or convenient death.

I think theres a certain irony to this. Chalabi has been telling the neocons and their defacto President everything they wanted to hear for years. Now tht it's all turned to crap, they have to blame someone for the uncomfortable position they're in. Chalabi had made it clear over the last month that since the US was no longer planning to make him President of Iraq, the plan during retired general what-his-faces brief tour of duty between "Mission Accomplished" and Administrator Bremmer he was not going to play ball. Chalabi's credability may be shot to hell, but he still knows where a lot of bodies are buried. I think he'll be shot resisting arrest pretty soon.

Think of this as a preemptive strike by the US. Usually we wait until our puppet rulers turn violently against us before we kill or imprison them. This time we didn't even wait to install him. There's a certain logic there. Everyone we pick to be a puppet ruler turns out to be a deeplky corrupt, dangerous son of a bitch. Why wait to crush this one? The very fact that we picked him in the first place means he's dangerous to us. Thsi is the first administration move in Iraq that has my total support.
Mocker
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:36 PM       
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/22/op...rint&position=

Turning Friend Into Foe in Baghdad
By ASLA AYDINTASBAS

Thursday's raid on the Baghdad home of Ahmad Chalabi, the Iraqi Governing Council member who for more than a decade was America's staunchest ally among the Iraqi resistance, is the latest bit of madness in the bungled occupation of Iraq. Unable to protect the lives of the governing council members — who, whatever one thinks of the body, are the only representative voices in Iraq — the Coalition Provisional Authority has now apparently decided to humiliate any who have the temerity to criticize its plans.

The Americans are claiming that Mr. Chalabi passed secret intelligence to Iran. This may or may not be true — he has long had ties to the Tehran government — but in any case it provides a convenient excuse to pin all the occupation's failings on him. No weapons found? It must be because of bad intelligence fed to the Pentagon by Mr. Chalabi's political group, the Iraqi National Congress. Terrorism on the rise? Must be because the Baath Party and the military were disbanded after the war at Mr. Chalabi's insistence. The growing insurgency? It would not have happened had Mr. Chalabi not told us that American troops would be welcomed with flowers.

Finding a scapegoat in an election year is a boon to the Bush administration. And silencing Mr. Chalabi is also essential for garnering United Nations cover for the June 30 transfer of sovereignty in Iraq. Mr. Chalabi has been the most outspoken critic of the plan of Lakhdar Brahimi, the United Nations envoy, for a new transitional government. He also insisted on pushing ahead with the investigation of the United Nations oil-for-food program, which is highly embarrassing to Mr. Brahimi's colleagues in New York.

Mr. Chalabi's rabble-rousing has also angered the occupiers. When the Coalition Provisional Authority decided to ease its screening process of former Iraqi military and Baath Party officials, he likened it to re-employing the Nazis in Germany. More important, he insisted on a full transfer of sovereignty on June 30 — including Iraqi control over the country's military and finances.

I met Ahmad Chalabi in London in the early 90's, when he was enjoying American support in his efforts to organize the overthrow of the Iraqi regime. He was unconventional, compelling and upfront. I was very rough with him in my first interview. But he eventually convinced me, and many others, of our individual moral responsibility to aid in the liberation of Iraq. Over the years I have seen him fighting alongside the Kurds in northern Iraq, organizing opposition conferences around the world, lobbying Congress for aid and, starting with the American decision to drop its backing of his insurgency plans in 1995, bitterly clashing with the State Department and the Central Intelligence Agency.

This bureaucratic feud was so entrenched that when I visited Baghdad in the early months after the collapse of the regime, I was horrified to see how much time and energy went into interagency fighting. Despite the news media's portrayal of Mr. Chalabi as "Washington's favorite Iraqi," it was obvious that L. Paul Bremer, the American proconsul in Baghdad, was doing his utmost to limit his influence. Within the governing council, Mr. Chalabi was highly effective, the go-to guy for the occupation forces whenever there was a problem. But at the same time, Mr. Bremer's staff worked hard to undermine Mr. Chalabi — haggling with him over government jobs; cutting off his communications with Paul Wolfowitz, the deputy secretary of Defense; and eventually eliminating direct aid to the Iraqi National Congress.

Vacillating between liberation and occupation, American rule in Iraq has created a power vacuum. You feel this in Baghdad. The Americans micromanage the governing council, deny Iraqis a voice, live in secluded compounds, make exclusive decisions on contracts, and push away secular liberals like Mr. Chalabi in favor of Shiite clergy and former Baathists.

Yesterday an aide to a governing council member in Baghdad told me over the phone, "If they can do this to Ahmad, what will they do to us?" By alienating Ahmad Chalabi, the United States has not only lost its key liberal supporter in Baghdad. It has also won a formidable foe.

There is no such thing as partial sovereignty. Disillusioned by America's ability to deliver peace and freedom, most Iraqis now demand elections and full control of their destiny. I called Francis Brooke, a Chalabi aide, to see if the raid had in fact increased his boss's standing among Iraqis. "Sure, our popularity is skyrocketing here," he said. "The only downside is that he might now be killed."

###
Asla Aydintasbas is a correspondent for the Turkish newspaper Sabah.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:31 PM       
this stuff burns me up.. i had signs on the street a year ago saying 'chalabi is a criminal!' when we were 'grooming' him for authority in Iraq, what a joke. fellow protestors always told me 'no one know's who the hell chalabi is ..switch your sign' ya no doubt, i freakin know they don't know but maybe they'll notice more after they see the sign.

so here we are now that we've cut him loose and most people STILL don't have a clue who our recent ally chalabi is.. he's barely making any news .. argh..
same with our 'allies' in afghanistan.. and colombia and on and on.. damnit we support criminals and murderous thugs almost everyday and hardly anyone in america notices. fuggin idiots.

oh and i love how most of the press puts our ally status with chalabi.. sounds like he was on the payroll in the 90's the way its' usually said.. damn
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:02 AM       
gee, i wonder why this isn't reported in the U.S.?

US paid Chalabi's party $47m, report reveals.
A report made public in Washington reveals that the American State Department had paid at least $47 million to Ahmed Chalabi's Iraqi National Congress - the INC - since March 2000.

Yesterday, it was announced that those payments had been stopped.

Today's report by the General Accounting Office cites the reasons as inadequate controls over cash transfers, allegations of fraud, and the INC resisting US government policy inside Iraq.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1112702.htm

and the right wing is worried about how much taxes welfare mothers get? sheesh.