Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 04:49 PM       
I left my SNES on for over 48 hours when I first played Earthbound and didn't know how to save in it.

You forgot the Espers in your list of the destroyed Jamesman. They were a very essential part of the storyline in FF VI (FF3 in America), which is my personal favorite out of the series.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:01 PM       
Yes, but essentially, when you hear people using the "Aeris Dies!" excuse, you're generally (not always, but generally) talking about people that never played the games before VII, or the people that are less impressed with the story than they are with graphics.
That being said, VII was a great game, but VI was so much better on so many levels. I know several people that would want to see them update VI and give it a graphic overhaul onto the PS2 or such. I wouldn't be against it, but it'd be hard to get used to, after all, I spent many years playing and replaying it, and it'd be hard to swallow any significant change to it.

::Whew:: And everyone always overlooks FF Tactics. It was a great standalone game.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:09 PM       
I am always pushing for a remake of FF6, putting it in a 3d world, using the style of the original's environment, and the 3D models made with Amano's drawings in mind. I always felt that FF6 was ahead of its time; A masterpiece limited by the power of the SNES.

In the same thought process, this is what usually draws people to FF7. The 3D graphics (although all the characters looked like they were made from Legos) drew people to it. On top of it, the FMVs gave a level of storytelling that helped present the characters and plot in a more "touching" way. If Aeris had died by a SD sprite of Sephiroth walking up behind her, and a word box reading "ARIES: Urk..." nobody would give two shits. But I still feel the story can't hold a candle to the deep and branching plot of FF6.

So yeah, I would love to see FF6 remade (properly), and shine as brightly as it was always intended. I mean, I can envision playing the game like that, based on the models from Anthology. I have it all pictured. And I guarantee that Square would see excellent sales for it.
Asspunch McGruf
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:27 PM       
well, I do agree, but maybe I consider myself a traditionalist. I grew up with FF6 being this way, and maybe, just as they're making shitty remakes of all old cartoons, they might do the same with old video games.

But then, I did love Rygar and SotN and such. And this IS Square we are talking about. The only wrong offhand I can think of that Square EVER did was The Bouncer. Hmm.

I guess I'd be more receptive of it if I ever got to see it and play it.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:30 PM       
The Bouncer ruled. It was rough around the edges, but it was a kickass game. It was basically a playable movie (it only lasted about 2 hours too), with a few alternate story parts. I would love to see a sequel.
Asspunch McGruf
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:36 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesman
It was basically a playable movie (it only lasted about 2 hours too),
That was actually the biggest problem I had with it, and to a much lesser extent, FFX.

I loved FFX, don't get me wrong, but it felt more like a movie than a game to me. FFX felt like it went like this:

Movie
Fight
Fight
Fight...so on
Movie
Fight...so on
much longer movie

It was a little TOO linear also. What gives with getting rid of the world map?!?
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 09:43 PM       
I hate ff6 so much, it's not even funny. Maybe because every time i tried to play, i had to quit fifteen minutes into the damn game. Or maybe it was because i didn't get to do much actual playing because of the stupid unskippable cutscenes.
Asspunch McGruf
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:07 PM       
Did you mean FFX Ninja? Because that was my biggest problem with part X. It did add to the story, but god damn I want at least to spend half my time PLAYING the story, not just watching it.
Lord Felch Demon
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:26 PM       
Nope, i meant 6.

n00bward is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 01:08 AM        ff6
Call me senile or something but I don't seem to rememeber any "unskippable cutscenes" in ff6. Even on the anthology for psx I seem to remember some FMV's but still no "unskippable cutscenes".
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 01:21 AM       
Ninja....Don't be alarmed when I show up at your house to bludgeon you with an ff6 cartridge.

That was very funny. Well done.
Lord Felch Demon
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:20 AM       
I don't mean cgi scenes. I mean when i played, you couldn't skip all the irritating dialogue and shit. Like when you first start playing, you have to watch all the characters keep talking, and by about the fifith time i tried playing, i really just wanted to fight some fucking monsters.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 01:20 PM       
that's the worst excuse to not play a great game.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 01:29 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjavenom
you couldn't skip all the irritating dialogue and shit. Like when you first start playing, you have to watch all the characters keep talking
You do realize that was the part that made it a "good" game.

You own an Xbox don't you?
Lord Felch Demon
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 02:33 PM       
Nope, ps2. It's a shitty excuse, yeah, but i just can't get into that game at all. I even happen to find its art to be atrocious. :/
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 02:53 PM       

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Lord Felch Demon
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 02:55 PM