Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM        MattJack's Comic Discussion Thread
So over the past 3-4 weeks I've been reading comics. I looked through this thread and ending up taking some of yall's recommendations. I have been reading a couple a week obviously, and I really, really enjoy reading them.

Here is what I've read so far:
Watchmen
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Year One
I Am Legend
Kingdom Come
Preacher vol. 1-2
Superman: Red Son

I have The Invisibles vol. 1-2, just haven't gotten a chance to read them.

I'll just go over real quick what I thought of the ones I've read..

I have to say the my favorite was Return of the Dark Knight. I liked it all the way around. **Spoils**ESP when Superman gets his shi* pushed in.****

Batman: Year One was cool too. I really like how they presented Jim Gordon. It was a short read, but still good imo.

Watchmen was also amazing. Didn't see the ending coming at all. I kind of had the same issues Scru had with the ending, but I made peace with those issues. Awesome book, and now I'm absolutely dreading the movie

I didn't really care for Kingdom Come. The art was simply amazing, but I think I hate Superman. He just seems like too much of a little b*tch for his own good. Idk, I guess that's his angle? Plus I felt that there were so many characters (especially ones that I'm not familiar with)that maybe character development was slightly hindered? Idk, just didn't care for this one's story. Quite a bore. Not to mention predictable.

I enjoyed Superman: Red Son much, much more than Kingdom Come just because of the plot/story. Obviously the art wasn't nearly as good, but to me the art should be secondary. I know people will think I'm dumb for liking this better than Kingdom Come, but i dun care.

Preacher vol. 1 was really cool. I like the whole plot that they set up. The characters are pretty cool as well. Cassidy is probably my favorite character. Then I read vol. 2 and it got completely over the top, but in a good way. I've order vol.3-5 and I'm waiting for them. Preacher is so ridiculous and over the top that it's hard to set down. It seems like every other page somebody is either fighting, getting shot in the face, or fuc*ing.

I Am Legend was kind of a boring read at times, but still not bad. I had issues with the ending. Kind of seemed really stupid actually, but meh.

I don't know what The Invisibles is about, just ordered them after seeing yall speak so highly of them, so I'm sure I will like the series.

What else do yall recommend? I want to read something Marvel related because I've really been in the DC Universe this whole time. Is Deadpool, The Punisher, or X-Men any good? I don't really know where to start with Marvel.

Keep in mind I'm not a fanboy and/or have extensive knowledge of comics, so I'm pretty much open minded to anything right now. That is of course with the exception of Superman. I really h8 him.