Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:57 PM        THE i-mockery YSI thread!
several other boards i go to have threads where you upload albums to yousendit.com and post the link. i'm going to assume you all know what yousendit.com is and just recommend that we keep this thread going forever and ever. if you have an album request, put it here. if your link dies (i think they last two weeks or 20 downloads, whichever comes first), please re-upload it (or get someone who downloaded it to re-upload).
any ideas for the thread? some people may only want full albums ripped at the highest quality, but that's just personal. some may not want albums that are still in print from small-time labels included... just do whatever you feel personally comfortable with, i say...

---EDIT---
you'll want to disable smilies when linking to your YSI location!

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:01 PM        re:
first contribution:

son of the velvet rat - by my side

h!!p://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1YAI5UP433NRH1Y7NU3V6VIYP7

(replace the exclamation marks with t's of course)

"Johnny Cash singing the tunes from Leonard Cohen's debut; Will Oldham mimicking Thom Yorke trying to whisper through Celtic folk tunes, Austria's Son of the Velvet Rat is in fact a solo project cracked from the scary-smart brain of songwriter Georg Altziebler. The music here burns so slowly that you'll blacken your thumbs just plucking the disc from its tray. By My Side is full of gorgeously minimal torch songs and noodling dirges, generally performed with acoustic guitar, harmonica and melodica. There are exceptions to the rule, though those few tracks only up the darkness quotient, pointing once again to Altziebler's uncanny ability to trudge along at a pace that would make Codeine proud. Lyrically, the stories are simple, but never fall prey to cliché, honest and straightforward without pandering to the lowest common denominator.
By My Side is bedtime music for the chronically depressed, the terminally unloved and the proudly melancholy. It's the sound of cigarette-stained hardwood floors, aged and yellowed lampshades and rusted utensils in a kitchen drain -- but it somehow retains a sophistication that rivals the Tindersticks and Nick Cave, and for that reason it must be heard." -Splendidezine

"By My Side is a mood album, music I envision myself needing to hear at particular moments or places in time. The simplistic ballads are mystical, enlightened, and the haunting music is at its paramount. The penetrating pieces are beautiful, romantic, fragile, and magical. Dark melancholy permeates the lyrics laced with recurring themes of alienation and loneliness. Thoughts of disconnection and isolation accentuate the prophetic, foreboding song writing. The gloomy, echoing tunes are simplicity at its best.
Son of the Velvet Rat was formed in 2000 as a solo project of the Austrian-based singer/songwriter Georg Altziebler, along with the musical talent of Robert Kres on violin and harmonium. It was originally intended as an experimental reaction to the predominance of the angst-ridden rock of today. Essentially Altziebler filters the misty, dreamy romanticism of Cohen and Drake through the 60-bpm, lo-fi indie rock. By My Side is their first full-length release, featuring minimalist ballads combined with reflecting vocals, disheartening orchestrations, and idyllic lyrics. The singing was done primarily on a small Fender tube amp, and the produced sound is one of a distant, eerie, chambered effect. The instrumentation and harmonica evoke lush melody full of hypnotic, classic clarity. The music is clean, stark and the candor of it intensifies the isolation of sound.
By My Side opens with “Leaving you,” a simple ballad devoid of overproduction, cooing “and this is you without me by your side/this is the future black but open wide.” The most endearing, beloved track of the album, “Phantom song,” relies on chilling harmonics and beautiful guitar interplay. Intriguing lyrics serenade “somebody smoked my paper wings, so I must fall.” “Your Sweetest Smile” consists of a dreamy ballad that has an ocean-like hypnotic effect. “Holes” vocalizes of trust and betrayal, “I wish your tongue would feel like pain/and cut my tongue in two/ I would not have to speak no more, I’d leave it up to you.” Their cover of Joy Division's “Love Will Tear Us Apart” is an entrancing version, though stripped of the energy that many Joy Division fans loved about the song - this rendition is different in virtually all aspects.
The album has a defining element of simple clarity. Each track has an appeal of natural beauty, a hauntingly, lonely, cryptic beauty. Ghostly, mysterious tracks of love, longing, and isolation are apart of the appeal of the alienated sound. By my side is a peaceful, endearing disc that I will treasure for ages. I give thanks to Son of the Velvet Rat; they have left a ghost note on my enchanted soul." -Christine Beals
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:19 PM       
I liked this CD. It's depressing but in a good way. Mabey I'll upload something to YSE but i'll have to think of something interesting first
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:26 PM       
posted another ysi link to it in the "what are you listenign to thread" but thats probably defunct now... so i re-upped TV on the Radio's new album.

i call it new album because no one really knows what it's called (though it's rumored to be "return to cookie mountain") and the tracklist is a bit off, though not criminally so. it also may or may not be mastered or mixed, unless they want to sound that raw (which i like).

so, here's their new album. i dont have a review, hell, this just surfaced a few days ago. pitchfork tried to appear "on it" by adding that it sounded "fucking good" when they reported that the band signed on to interscope, though.

and i agree.

http://s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...S1DNB8WLNIEYHI
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:35 PM       
Thanks again for that link Rez, the old one worked for me.

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM        re:
Sparks - Hello Young Lovers

h!!p://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=13BD2D0JOFMRK2574BV3LO9BZ7

(replace !'s with t's)

"So far removed are we from the roots of underground and cult music that if you mention Sparks to the youth of today, their eyes light up with thoughts of this crack-in-a-can alcoholic beverage that tastes like a collusion of ground-up SweeTarts and white cross tabs in a Zima. I’d hope that vocalist Russell Mael and his brother, keyboardist Ron Mael, who have been making music under the name Sparks for the past 25 years, are seeing some money from sales of that drink, though truthfully, it’s given out for free at so many parties I don’t know if anyone actually buys it. One could say the same about their career, at least stateside; after twenty albums, their name is still lost on the average person, despite the group having been on the crest of just about every worthwhile musical movement of the ‘70s, and as one of the true innovators of video content for a fledgling MTV. Like the drink, the group excites and sometimes confuses. Unlike the drink, Sparks the band doesn’t leave you with a blinding hangover, but moreover, domestic popularity has eluded them for most of their career, not counting the 1983 collaboration “Cool Places” with former Go-Go and The Surreal Life’s hot, vegan BDSM spinster, Jane Wiedlin.
The music these guys are making in 2006 on their 20th album, Hello Young Lovers, is not all that compositionally different from their first album, back when they were called Halfnelson and worked with Todd Rundgren in 1970. Operatic tendencies and intricate, classically-flecked arrangements have always been a part of their music; it helped usher in the era of glam rock, was an inspiration for power-pop singer-songwriters all over, met Giorgio Moroder on the disco floor, and helped plant the seeds for new wave mania in the ’80s. It’s just their way; this is what they do.
Sparks took a sharp detour from the kind of album their fans expected them to make with 2002’s L’il Beethoven, a largely percussion-less collection of pop songs done up as chamber music where the two struck an unreal balance, one which the group hadn’t fully realized since 1974’s detour Indiscreet. Though its stodginess all but excluded the band from anything having to do with rock music, it worked in a very natural way, with an innocence that wrecked any cries of pretentiousness or inaccessibility – as in the winsome “What Are All These Bands So Angry About?” and the dreamlike, Nilssonian softshoe of “My Baby’s Taking Me Home.”
Using the same tools in this go-round, Hello Young Lovers possesses few of these charms, as if their last struggle within the music industry has embittered the brothers beyond hope. The sound here is inorganic; samples clip from uneven editing and synth patches sound unbearably canned and anaerobic. Russell’s lyrics once again aim for topicality, as in the flamenco-flavored “(Baby, Baby) Can I Invade Your Country,” but it rings stale; in a country whose populace is inundated with political criticism from all sides, singing about the state of affairs in a whimsical manner belongs more to a Mark Russell (of the Capital Steps) than a Russell Mael, and nowhere on a pop record made by smart people. With “As I Sit to Play the Organ at the Notre Dame Cathedral,” jabs are made at an instrumentalist’s duel with God and the fear of being upstaged in religious fervor and personal skill. It’s an interesting concept, but the song offers no conclusion, no narrative to latch onto; just a bunch of dramatic passages, frantically played until silence returns. In “Perfume,” Russell rattles off a list of ladies and the varieties they wear, as if calling out Bryan Ferry’s list of sexual conquests, but claims he prefers “you” because “you don’t wear no perfume.” Atop a burbling synth-bass line, this song again exhibits a wheel-spin, then cuts out. Ditto with “There’s No Such Thing as Aliens.” Repetitive, stormy, singular, with no hooks to engage the crowd. Even the song “Rock, Rock, Rock” – which purposefully does not – decries an audience that is suspicious of the group’s “soft passages” and puts a figurative gun to the group’s head. You’ll get the joke, but you probably won’t laugh, and that’s the problem. Perhaps their last tour, which relied on a strong visual element, left the guys with the notion that the live show’s where fans will be able to revel in their wit. Only problem is that L’il Beethoven didn’t need pictures to make the songs complete.
Hello Young Lovers opens with “Dick Around,” the record’s most ambitious cut, which laments a forced retirement where “all you do is non-essential.” Ruminating on age, fading celebrity, feelings of importance and a stab for renewed relevance, it builds a head of steam that, sadly, spells out the album that follows. It’s painful to write this, really, as Sparks is indeed one of my favorite bands. As innovators and as musicians, they have written more odes to joy over the years than could be thought possible. It’s frustrating to hear them in this context – sounding jaded and uninspired, a slump they haven’t been in since the late ‘80s. It’s doubly frustrating that this record will most likely be lost on fans of In the Red’s typically noisy garage-punk output. They have a loving home, in the right place and time, but it’s not the right record." -Doug Mosurak
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM       
http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...013QJP2ER8VUL5

Volcano Suns - The Bright Orange Years

Preter Prescott's band after Mission of Burma. Allmusic.com describes it "Solid and endlessly fun, it's their finest record.". I personally think it's fantastic but I might not be for everyone. If you like it you may want to look them up, they recently regrouped.

Hitler's Canoe!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:48 PM       
hmm, I didn't like Volcano Suns too much, certainly not as good as Son Of The Velvet Art. Some of their songs where ok but overall it left me underwelmed.

The Sparks CD was a bit wierd for my tastes. Couldn't get into it at all.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:38 AM       
in the near future, if not tomorrow, if YSI cooperates like it did this morning, i'll be uploading

Matthew Herbert's "Scale"
Ellen Allien and Apparat's "orchestra of Bubbles"
Mogwai - "Mr Beast"
Fiery Furnaces - "Bitter Tea"
Flaming Lips - "At War With the Mystics"
Ricardo Villalobos - "Achso"

i just might not get to all of them in a day, so if anyone especially wants one of thesee, please say so so i can prioritize.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:25 AM        re:
What do you think of that new Flaming Lips and that new Mogwai?
I was personally really disappointed with the new Flaming Lips (but then again, Yoshimi was a huge step down from The Soft Bulletin), aside from a couple songs.
I'm not sure what it was, but the Mogwai album before this one (Happy Songs) seemed totally crappy, but this one's quite a bit better, though still really boring compared to the older stuff.
Oh, and MetalMilitia, glad you dug the Son of the Velvet Rat. I'm not sure if I even like that new Sparks CD, though I've listened to it several times already. It's better under the influence.
I'll download that Volcano Sons album. I like a little Mission of Burma.
I'll have more uploads later today.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:04 AM        re:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones

h!!p://s54.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2I2A16IPFV879289JAJ5ZYPFDW

(replace !'s with t's)

Lots of crappy versions of this floating around out there, but I'm 99% sure this one's legit. Only given it a few spins so far, but I'm rather underwhelmed by it so far. Figured you guys may want it, though.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:40 PM        re:
Eyes And Arms Of Smoke - A Religion Of Broken Bones

h!!p://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=12M86VNNHHM403PSLJLKZGM0GS

"The mystical sound magi of Louisville, Kentucky's Eyes and Arms of Smoke conjure a rare magic on their "A Religion of Broken Bones" LP. This record exhibits a kind of scattered, what-the-hell aura, which materializes in an unclassifiable instrumental sound that brings together chamber music, jazz, folk, electronics and more into a smooth, kinetic sound tunnel to the other side. Some of it is quite composed; other parts are definitely free. So, I suppose this could be thrown in the free folk camp, though the other releases I’ve heard from EaAoS veer closer to dub inflected industrial drone.
Two bands come to mind when listening to this album. The first is Portland’s schizoid lounge crawlers Rollerball, and I mean that really only in that they both have a sort of schizoid aura. Elements of many styles are found in the first track alone, “Pioneers of Sleep” (now there’s a song title), starting with a minimal guitar melody before downbeat brass and cello trills fill a gray sky. Guest Greg Kelley’s (of Cold Bleak Heat and Heathen Shame) trumpet can be heard in the treated tonal swells at the opening of “Eyes and Arms of Smoke,” easily 90 seconds of the most gorgeous organic drone I’ve heard this year, before the track shifts dramatically into a rustling acoustic dash across the decayed forest floor. Cue high pitched vocal harmonies and you might experience fevered flashbacks to Comus’s “First Utterance” also. But to their credit, Eyes and Arms of Smoke incorporate a mélange of bizarre chamber instrumentation into their decidedly electronic prog-edelic meanderings to reveal a unique, part orchestrated/part improvised, entirely live/organic sound.
This is haunted music with a great deal of character. It reminds me of other psych and noise genre perverts, such as Cerberus Shoal, the aforementioned Rollerball and Sun City Girls, but EaAoS maintains its own forlorn signature sound with fluctuating tempos and style shifts that are as nebulous as the band name. By the time 14 min closer “Nemesis” kicks in at a full gallop of room saturating drones, cello and raga guitars, it’s apparent that these people have crafted something quite visionary. “A Religion of Broken Bones” ain’t too shabby, but it is just shabby enough to enthrall from start to finish." -Lee Jackson

Draugar - Weathering The Curse

h!!p://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=093653CG5VFPD0VOV746GBHAT

"The black ice continues to spread, a grim black metal glacier slowly enveloping all with ears to hear. The West Coast black metal contingent's influence grows steadily, until one day hell walks the earth. Sorry, getting carried away. If the above scene had some sort of hierarchy, Leviathan would undoubtedly be the king. Xasthur would be a prince, or perhaps another king vying for supreme power. Crebain would be a knight, sent to slay all who shall dare oppose, and then Draugar, well Draugar would be the kings ex-vizier, locked in a dark dank dungeon, insane and murderous and demented, from years of no light, eating bugs, lack of sleep, and staring endlessly into blackness. Draugar is definitely the black sheep of this already black family, imbuing his home recorded evil, with the grim buzz of classic black metal, but with a healthy dollop of damged brilliance a la Benighted Leams, Lurker Of Chalice, or Striborg. Buzzy and black, droning and depressive, Draugar more than holds his own amidst the blackened elite, but somehow, everything he touches turns to what-the-fuck? Gentle clean arpeggiated clean guitar melodies are way up in the mix, layed atop a sluggish stream of indistinct guitar fuzz and Whitehouse-ish vocals. Sounding a little like somebody taped Darkthrone over a Slint record on an old C90 that had been in their back pocket for a month. Loping midtempo buzz over buried angelic choruses, like Morricone's The Mission performed by Graveland. Occasional ambient breaks, where guitar melodies wander aimlessly across barren soundscapes of distant rumble and creepy shimmer. Sometimes the riff seems to just splinter apart and what was moments earlier a galloping black metal juggernaut, has become a seasick drone. contructed from fuzzy almost melodies and vocals so distorted and so affected they sound like bursts of radio static. As always, heavy and grim and completely fucked!" -Aquarius Records

Robert Horton - Angel Humming Through A Wire

h!!p://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=17FQ6B935WRQM2TLLKAA0MM8VB

"Hail to the summer breeze! The debut of Robert Horton is a cause for celebration. Years in the making, Angel Humming Through Wire is a glorious look at this Boston (now on the west coast) native's washed out headspace. Organic compositions of love and loss that occupy similar space as Thuja or Birchville Cat Motel. In this land of giants, Horton bends and distorts acoustic instruments into various shapes, producing sounds never before heard. In his travels, he has collaborated with the likes of Tom Carter, Michael Shannon, and Daniel Raffel, but this voice is solely his own. Angel Humming Through Wire is an exorcising experience; it is the search for that which the earth has sacrificed." -Foxglove

"From Foxglove we have Robert Horton with 'Angel Humming Through A Wire' where abstract guitars circle and weave mathematically precise patterns or form slowly evolving layers of signalling electricity generated by steel strings. This is a soundtrack to a city, to the wires and cables and tiny pulsing which connects us. Of the traffic noise merging with bird song, of the sounds and melodies formed from our movement. The slow guitars, the notes fading in, the harmonies, the environmental sounds interwoven, it's like hearing the breath of a city. It's fragile music, lovely and lonesome, the city never sleeps." -Unbroken Circle

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:52 PM        re:
Davenport - The Hands Of Worm Heaven

h!!p://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2G3884UL5H02208JNOT1KOIZE9

"To celebrate their last CDR release, Davenport does The Hands of Worm Heaven up right. It receives deluxe treatment—lavish artwork featuring 8 disturbing original drawings by Dylan Nyoukis on thick manila art paper, a nearly eighty-minute run-time, and an edition of 223 that, while still limited, doubles that of most of their releases.
The eight tracks are super-sized as well. You’ll be hard-pressed to find one shorter than ten minutes here, and Davenport can make even ten minutes sound like a fragment. They feel most comfortable around the fifteen-to-twenty-minute mark, as evidenced by their fondness for single-tracks 3” CDRs.
Davenport can’t cut it short—their greatest strength is longevity. Often they don’t seem to know what they’re doing within the first couple minutes. You hear the sounds of stereos being turned off, musicians shuffling around and coughing, instruments being tinkered with, and themes being hesitantly tested. But once they settle, they lock into a groove that seduces the patient listener.
This approach to recording might annoy some—why pay to hear someone’s warm-up?—but by bypassing the sterility of the professional take for amateur-in-your-midst intimacy, Davenport grounds their improvisations. Their music sounds familiar and alive, like something you could hear in your neighborhood if only you knew the address of those bongo-toting dreadlocked guys always biking down your street.
This homespun accessibility enhances their work. Davenport doesn’t seem to be a collective of musicians, but a gaggle of people making music. Certainly we expect musicians to make beautiful noise, but when Davenport does what they do so well, one is awed by the human capacity to channel inspiration at the drop of a hat. Davenport charges on the front lines of a Democratic Movement for Music, dismantling our notion—so encouraged by an industry that emphasizes the product and alienates us from the music’s ephemeral nature—that music results from specialized labor rather than a basic human drive.
If I’ve given the impression that Davenport, can’t play, I apologize. One need only hear Hands of Worm Heaven to realize that these folks aren’t new to their instruments. But they certainly don’t get by on chops alone. That just isn’t the point. Their sound is too rough-edged to please a listener technically. But with their unhinged vocal spasms, bang-on-what-ya-got percussion, asleep-on-the-sitar drones, and rambunctious tape experiments, they sure as hell please me.
On this album, “Sheep Meadow Invocation #5” best represents Davenport. Upon first listen, I was put off by its similarity to “Sheep Meadow Invocation #3” from their recent Field Tales. The blueprint is the same: cat yowl vocals, hand-bell blowouts, and bah-bah pasture sounds. Once you’ve heard one Sheep Meadow Invocation, you’ve heard ’em all, right? But upon further inspection, the similarities were too persistent and conspicuous to be the product of a band covering itself. The formula must be reversed: once you’ve heard all the Sheep Meadow Invocations, you’ve heard the One. This is a far more intriguing proposition. It suggests a group not bound by limited studio time, marketability, or format. Davenport doesn’t perform for the sake of a recording; they record for the sake of the performance. They must document their musical transformations; otherwise by the time they stop to think about what they’ve been, they’ll have evolved into something new. But recording is a limitation—an artificial segmentation of a fluid whole.
And “Sheep Meadow Invocation #5” isn’t even the best song on this release. That honor goes to either the electrified drone of “Serpents Come Here” or the tangle-haired epic “The Spells We Know.”
If this seems like a dissertation, don’t worry. Davenport doesn’t want to burden you with concept, though concept does lurk, unspoken and in need of elucidation. Davenport just wants to bring music to life. If a recording kills it, at least it’s still fresh. A Davenport track is bleeding raw compared to our overcooked pop landscape. Take some comfort in the fact that most of us simply can’t see Davenport in their element. We wouldn’t just have to catch them live—we’d have to catch them at home." -Bryan Berge
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM       
Right now im listening to the Draugar album, i'm really not too sure about the staticy sound of it. While it does make it sound quite disconcerting it also makes it sound like my speakers have a big rip down the middle. I really quite like the vocals, they are, as the review puts it, "like bursts of radio static" but sound cool none the less.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:46 PM        re:
if interested, i have draugar's other album. it's a little more discernible.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:52 PM       
I won't trouble you with uploading it as black metal is scarcely played on my computer.

Im going to upload something soon but my connection is so rediculously rubbish at uploading I may need to wait and do it while i'm at uni or somewhere.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:34 PM       
Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Black Star

"While Puff Daddy and his followers continued to dictate the direction hip-hop would take into the millennium, Mos Def and Talib Kweli surfaced from the underground to pull the sounds in the opposite direction. Their 13 rhyme fests on this superior, self-titled debut as Black Star show that old-school rap still sounds surprisingly fresh in the sea of overblown vanity productions. There's no slack evident in the tight wordplays of Def and Kweli as they twist and turn through sparse, jazz-rooted rhythms calling out for awareness and freedom of the mind. Their viewpoints stem directly from the teachings of Marcus Garvey, the legendary activist who fought for the rights of blacks all around the world in the first half of the 20th century. Def and Kweli's ideals are sure lofty; not only are they out to preach Garvey's words, but they also hope to purge rap music of its negativity and violence. For the most part, it works. Their wisdom-first philosophy hits hard when played off their lyrical intensity, a bass-first production, and stellar scratching. While these MCs don't have all of the vocal pizzazz of A Tribe Called Quest's Phife and Q-Tip at their best, flawless tracks like the cool bop of "K.O.S. (Determination)" and "Definition" hint that Black Star is only the first of many brilliantly executed positive statements for these two street poets. "

allmusic gave it a perfect score btw

http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...I16WZ56M1CFKGF

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:35 PM        re:
h!!p://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3TL3LLQYJF4073T7T8WJPP9CZ5

This is a demo for a compilation of various music I've written and recorded (alongside many friends of course) over the between 1995 and 2005. I was asked to put it together for a cdr release later this year, so it'll most likely be changed around plenty before it's actual release but I thought maybe I'd give it a test-run here first.
Beware... Most of it's old and I tried to have plenty of rare/unreleased stuff for those folks who already have a lot of my goods.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:34 PM        Re: re:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron mitchell
What do you think of that new Flaming Lips and that new Mogwai?
I was personally really disappointed with the new Flaming Lips (but then again, Yoshimi was a huge step down from The Soft Bulletin), aside from a couple songs.
I'm not sure what it was, but the Mogwai album before this one (Happy Songs) seemed totally crappy, but this one's quite a bit better, though still really boring compared to the older stuff.
see, i'm one of those people that though "happy songs..." was their best album. it definately continued in weakening their ability for apocalyptic heroics ("ratts of the capital" is decent, but an insult to "like herod"), but i much prefer their tack for focusing on the sublime while retaining a disquiet and power to their music.
i think they're still in process of mastering this fully (there's some dreck that's DOA, much less inspired) but they're having more pure, if less frequent moments where they really hit the nail on the head. mr beast is a damn fine album, and it's had a huge impact on me in the month i've had it. "friend of the night" is still the best song of 06 so far IMO.

the flaming lips i'm letting sit awhile... after initial excitement (because i'm not a fan, i just liked yoshimi... sue me), i realized i was going to have to get involved in this album more than i had time for. in 2 months i've found at least 3 amazing and 3 more potentially amazing albums this year, so i'm going to wait for a lull, because i can already tell that this is a "full album" kind of deal. free radical is worming it's way into my head though.
but i also dont know... i say i'll get back to it, but maybe thats because everything i'm hearing on first impression just isn't that engaging... who knows.

talking about it like this should make me YSI both these albums right? well no,
as jinxed, either YsI or my wireless connection are flipping out and being all slow and bitchy, and i proimised my friends Matthew Herbert's sextastic album "Scale" today, so you guys can join in on the fun on that or no.
i'll have to copy mitchell's thing and put "xx" where the http is because the last link i put up here got closed in record time... i suspect largely due to direct linking... so just replace that when you copy and paste.

Matthew Herbert - Scale

hxxp://s25.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1TSR3XGAM070K3APOBWFA4I719

making pop, R+b vocals, house, and proper string ensembles working together to make something ridiculously scandalous. listen to the first three tracks through, if you're not hooked then it;s not for you, the end.

it's like Moon-Safari Air only more house music, less modest, wildly succesful and decadent, and of course sexually ambiguous.
it's how "listenable pop," a term used to excuse shoddy crap that doesnt ouright irritate, should ACTUALLY sound like.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:24 PM       
do y'all like black star?
autistic licence
sloth is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:19 AM       
friend of the night is pretty awesome. im liking travel is dangerous, glasgow mega-snake and auto-rock too.

im running late for a lecture but ill upload harvestman and ginnungagap when i get the time.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:14 AM        re:
Didn't really care for Black Star, myself. But then again, the most recent hip-hop I've been into was nine years ago.
The Volcano Suns was alright. Kinda the same issues I had with Mission Of Burma... Good for a handful of songs, but then I start having trouble paying attention.
The Matthew Herbert album is downloading mega-slow for me, for some reason. All of the others go at 500+KB/Sec, but this one won't go above 30KB/Sec. I'll hang in there, though.
Didn't care for the Harvestman album I heard, but Ginnungagap are pretty rad!

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:40 PM        re:
Orthrelm - Ov

h!!p://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0Z6PE1JA553G41ATM3DL20TKVN

"There’s a brief passage in the John Fahey story “The Center of Interest Will Not Hold” that always comes to mind when I think of the best way to describe the inviting and, in its finest moments, intoxicating methods of minimalist composition. It’s a description of Fahey seeing Hank Williams perform on a Potomac River excursion boat back in 1953, and it goes like this:
“And then he started playing, not singing, ‘My Bucket’s Got a Hole in It,’ a 12-bar blues in E. And he played it and played it over and over again. For about 10 minutes. Then he started singing. But when he did sing he only sang a few verses and then he came to an abrupt halt. It was so incredibly surprising and intense that it was frightening. After he stopped there was a silence for a long time. We were all hypnotized.”
I would not be surprised in the least to find out Mick Barr and Josh Blair, the respective guitarist and drummer of Orthrelm, knew the Fahey passage (taken from the must-own book How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life) by heart. On the duo’s blistering, one-song epic OV, everything hinges on the way patterns and repetitions can lull a listener into submission and then pull the rug from beneath them, only to seduce them into another series of patterns and repetitions. At first blush, the record — all 45 minutes of it — is a dense and impassable jungle of droning and clattering and rolling noise. But repeated listens reveal alarming depths and a manner of composition that, like the pen-and-ink maze scribbled alongside the handwritten liner notes inside OV, is frighteningly complex in its simplicity.
The record isn’t so much a 45-minute composition as a series of performance segments with a massive, 17-minute introduction. During that lengthy but tightly scripted intro, the band does everything to dissuade the meek or unwilling or uninitiated from journeying further within, throwing seemingly endless loops of fingernail-on-chalkboard guitar shrieks over rumbling, kick-drum-crazed, warp-speed percussion. No bass, no voice, no verse, no chorus, no escape — this is an atypical mass of thunderous rock adrenaline, and Orthrelm wants to make sure you’re ready for the ride. Around the 17:40-mark, it’s meltdown time, the drums abruptly peeling back for a machine-gun slash and burn over a single guitar string. The moment really lasts only a few seconds — a blink of the eye given the length of the entire recording — but it carries a momentum and a punch that shifts the force of the whole damned record, like a planet being thrown out of its numbing rotations around the sun.
The loops and clattering passages continue in a series of right-to-the-gut bursts and expansive drones, but there’s a more organic pace to them, a sense that the musicians are in control of the noise (and not vice versa) and they’ve now completely trapped the listener in the proceedings. At 19:45, the shrieking treble-heavy patterns are buttressed, on every fourth and then third note, by the crunch of a power chord that could force the Steve Albini of Shellac’s At Action Park to crack a smile. Before we hit 22:00, there’s the repeated hit of an open note and then a full breakdown, a roll of almost-tribal tom hits interrupted sporadically by a hammered four-note Space Invaders measure. At 23:05, everything erupts again and we’re back into the shrieking repetitions. At 23:30, your wonder how the duo can hammer out the refrains without their fingers spontaneously bursting into flames. By 24:30, the borderline furious and nearly frenetic 4/4 march speeds up to the point where it’s hard to tell if Barr — his guitar now almost echoing the avant-rock/metal tones of David Pajo on Tweez — is even plucking out notes with a guitar pick or just madly sliding his fingers all over the frets, whatever it takes to get that viscous delivery.
The record continues unfolding with these bizarrely dramatic moments and passages to its closing hurrah (the curtain drops with a bang, not a whimper, and is trailed only by about eight seconds of deathly silence), but the point of diagramming only a few of them illustrates their alarming impact. This is a difficult record, no question about it, and even those open to structurally challenging rock/metal noise (a la Don Cab or much of the Ipecac catalog) might be turned off by the commitment one has to make before the band delivers the release to that epic practice of tension-building. It would be unfair, ridiculous, and even blasphemous to say Orthrelm is in a league with Fahey or the Hank Williams that Fahey envisions/recalls/constructs in “The Center of Interest Will Not Hold.” But when it comes to that passage, they definitely get it. And your ears will be all the better for tuning in. It’s hypnotism time." -Justin Vellucci

"D.C.-based duo Orthrelm (Mick Barr on guitar and Josh Blair on drums) has never fit the mold of, say, Lightning Bolt or Ruins (or even Ui!). They’ve always had a few too many Derek Bailey records on deck for that, and a few too many Napalm Death ones, too. Their earlier discs featured Barr sounding like an amalgam of Blood Ulmer harmolodics, death metal shred, and spiky Bailey-isms. But on this new full-length – consisting of one 45-minute tune – the band has changed styles considerably. The largest shift is from an all-out avoidance of repetition to a full-on experiment with it.
Repetition is what rock is all about, after all. But OV, while played by fellows who clearly have roots in and an affinity for heavy music, isn’t so much about sludge as it is about spasm. Think back to the halcyon days of vinyl, and picture Ride the Lightning or Among the Living. Right in the middle of a crazed guitar solo, with 32nd notes flying, the needle gets stuck in the groove - that’s OV. It’s Orthrelm maxing out minimalism - a kind of trance-thrash. Either that, or it’s the early '90s Melvins on 78 rpm. Blair’s rolling, tuned toms could almost be a sample from some awesome Louis Moholo-Moholo improvisation, were it not for the grinding, motoric repetition. And Barr’s sharp, brittle tone suggests the influence of shred-master metal as well as flinty free improv.
Each section includes a number of subtle modulations: change of attack, occasional morphing of tempo, and so forth. And there's no denying the duo’s chemistry – they’re locked in tight to the concept and to each other’s playing (very specific drum patterns cue the section changes, often just modulations of the same repeated lick from Blair). The dynamics and structure of the piece aren’t too surprising or challenging; for the most part, things ratchet up continually, with some occasional cool-downs during the latter third of the disc. The first flareup occurs roughly ¼ of the way in, with some particularly fierce unison playing (almost like some thrashy mutation of the end of Mahavishnu’s “The Noonward Race”). The first major break occurs just shy of OV’s midpoint, sounding almost as if the cage to some aviary is open, unleashing a flock of mad birds. From there, however, things slow down, air out, and the duo almost trade licks, which assume an increasingly Middle Eastern flavor, until the big metal moment of the disc’s conclusion.
The polar opposite of Sleep’s mighty Dopesmoker, the jittery OV is a 45-minute mindfuck. It’s almost like the end is beside the point: you get the feeling that no matter when, you could check in on Orthrelm and they’d still be wailing and hacking away at this material. It’s a pretty intense ride." -Jason Bivins

"Orthrelm's OV consists of patterns laid across a giant, horizontal canvas, one after another. Each pattern (or algorithm or gestalt, to use academic terms often applied to minimalist artwork) is small-- perhaps the size of your average metal riff-- and is self-contained. That is, each one relates to nothing outside of itself, and works through a "predictably terminating" process before moving on to the next. Which is still to say, OV is both a blueprint and the final result of a pretty amazing idea: hardcore minimalism in a rock context. Hardcore? Minimalism? This record, which could almost as easily be communicated via a series of 8x10-inch grids containing tiny, elaborate arrangements of points and lines, crosses a whole range of "high art" concepts. In fact, its "rock context" is more dubious than its artsy conceits, raising the question of whether electric guitars have to signify rock, or are capable of something else. Indeed, OV is something else.
In any case, isn't minimalism is supposed to be dead? That's what any art critic worth his pretension will tell you-- and has, on and off, for about 35 years-- despite the fact its remnants can be seen in almost every strand of art henceforth. Minimalist visual art happened as a result of simultaneous decisions made in the late 1950s by several young (and almost exclusively white male American) artists reacting against the wildly subjective Abstract Expressionist movement. Abstract expressionist artists like Jackson Pollack were about capturing personal experience or emotion in the purest, visceral sense. That's all well and good-- and sort of punk when you think about it-- but when Mark Rothko and Barnett Newman came along and did the same with broad planes of color and precisely defined geometrical shapes, it started to seem less a quasi-anarchic roar of purpose, and more a quasi-formalist one. So, rather than put forth subjective statements, the successive generation of artists aimed to produce art as object in and of itself, more apt to use mathematical formulas than emotional drive to create their works. This could manifest itself in anything from Sol Le Witt's math-generated sculptures, to Jo Baer's monochrome canvas-work to Dan Flavin's arrangement of neon lights on museum walls.
There was a concurrent "movement" in classical music towards minimalism, though unlike in the visual art critical establishment, nobody really made an effort to brand it as such. In the early 60s, La Monte Young, described by Brian Eno as the "grandfather of us all", was writing really slow, really lengthy pieces of chamber music in the serialist tradition (then the dominant strain of modern classical music, serialism is the organization of notes, rhythms, and other musical elements according to numerical formulae)-- perhaps the musical equivalent of painter Robert Ryman's General series of pure white paintings. Young soon moved to working with sine waves and drone performances that could last for days, or longer. However, you can't really release an LP of a weeklong performance, and a more popular, compact strain of minimalism was port forth by Terry Riley, who used tape loops and delay to concoct sprawling, repetitive soundscapes. He completed the landmark In C in 1964, whose concepts led directly to a whole school of repetition-based music from which Steve Reich and Philip Glass (not to mention Neu! and Can) made a killing.
Until now, I would never have thought to compare Orthrelm to those musicians. The Washington D.C.-based duo's previous albums-- including an almost inhumanly fragmented, 99-track EP (!) Asristir Vieldriox from 2002-- were models of monolithic non-repetition. Guitarist Mick Barr (formerly of Crom-Tech) and drummer Josh Blair (also of math-jazzers ABCs) specialized in music obviously rooted in metal, but performed as a steady string of ultra-speed riffs and brittle patterns, thrown against each other in Pollack-like collage: no clear linear progression, but when viewed from a distance, as technically impressive as it is chaotic. John Zorn's Naked City is a precedent, as Orthrelm recall the intensity of the fastest hardcore punk, and the virtuosity of the gone-est conservatory shredders-- not to mention being pretty light on their feet. However, if you wanted jams with beats and wailing choruses, you were out of luck; the band played alien etudes, but not necessarily "rawk." But if fans were left wanting something easier to tap along with, the band's latest delivers the goods in spades.
OV, containing a single 45-minute composition, makes as good an introduction to putting oneself into a trance as it does to minimalism or instrumental prog. Although recorded over a period of months, the title piece is presented as a single performance, each segment locking into the next, on and on until everything simply stops. And just as I described Orthrelm's prior releases as monolithic, this one threatens to glaze over the eardrums of anyone not particularly fascinated by the prospect of a metal mosaic, massive in size with attention to minute detail. Yet, it is the attention to detail-- the baroque refinery of the individual riffs and drum patterns-- that makes OV more than just an impressive technical feat (or an excruciating bore). As with the additive, metric modulation of Glass (who cribbed his technique from Indian raga) or Reich's rhythmic phasing, Orthrelm somehow makes music more than the sum of its innumerable parts.
At the heart of OV are adrenaline and discipline; abandon and meditation. I'm tempted to recommend the album to anyone interested in learning how to meditate; beyond the sheer length and precision of the music, I wonder if Barr and Blair had to put themselves in some kind of Zen state just to record the stuff. As the passages fly by-- beginning with the pounded tritone introduction, to a diced three-note guitar motive and tom-toms cascade, to sections featuring the thrash of cymbals and high-range dissonance alternating with sections where the drums drop out entirely and guitar lands on sustained, sine-like tones-- I look for inter-connections. Unlike traditionally minimalist music, OV's structure follows an "A to B to C" path, rather than the less intrusive (but arguably more subtle) "A1 to A2 to A3" method of Glass and Reich. On this record, each pattern takes on its own identity, seemingly unrelated to anything happened before-- yet, the speed and consistency of attack (Barr's fingers must be robotic) serve to blur the edges of what might otherwise sound disjointed.
I'm not sure history's great minimal artists would approve of OV, on the structural grounds I noted above, or due to the fact that Orthrelm's music just seems so, well, big. Of course, Frank Stella's grid-like aluminum paintings were as tall as people, while some of the great single-artist installations of the 60s and 70s could take up entire galleries, so you never know. Ultimately, this record stands as a towering achievement in its own right, regardless the context you visualize. And maybe this many words are overkill for what I'm really trying to say: This is fucking great." -Dominique Leone

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:39 PM        re:
i had some requests. here they be...

Joe Meek & The Blue Men - I Hear A New World

h!!p://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=26FKUOTWKF91F15YBV45DF3RMY

"Recorded in 1960 and then lost until 1991, Joe Meek and The Blue Men's, I Hear a New World was arguably the first concept album of its kind, delivering musical answers to questions about the final frontier.
Essentially this album was written about a sonic journey into space 10 years before humans landed on the moon. Lets put this in the context of the era: 1960 and space? People still had concepts of planets made of cheese and little green men with glass helmets wandering about (feasting on human Flesh and wailing on short-necked guitars).
"I wanted to create a picture in music of what could be up there in outer space," Meek said in an interview.
A nontraditional artist in every sense, Joe Meek was a producer who didn't play or sing on this or any other album. He was also a deeply troubled man. Meek suffered from depression and paranoia and was known for explosive tantrums. A closeted homosexual, Meek was once arrested for soliciting for "immoral" purposes after he apparently made a pass at an undercover policeman in an era when public scorn, fear and anger buried homosexuals under social taboos and criminal law.
But Meek's swirling, unpredictable emotions seemed to contribute to his creativity. Thought of as somewhat of a studio mad scientist, he became a legend for experimenting with stereo technology and with any effects he could conjure up. Meek was making British rock history before the "invasion," years before The Beatles would even release an album.
Mostly instrumental, a New World contains songs about waterfalls on the moon and gatherings of dancing aliens. The sped-up Martian lyrics can only be compared today with songs by Alvin and The Chipmunks or perhaps the Lollipop Guild from The Wizard of Oz; cheesy by today's standards, but pretty cutting edge for the time.
"Yes! This is a strange record,'' Meeksaid. "I meant it to be."
The album landed in the wasteland outside pop culture, failing Meek's attempts to market it as a demo album for stereo equipment salespeople. In the next few years Meek's life began to unravel. Then, in Feburary, 1967, he fatally shot himself in the head after shooting his landlady in the back. I Hear A New World vanished after Meek's suicide. Thirty years later, RPM records picked it up and released it in its entirety .
Is I Hear a New World a piece of musical history? The brain child of a genius, a madman? If Meek's work can be resurrected, understood, even inherited, modern DJs, swimming through stacks of obscure records, will be the artists who do it." -Shane Stornanti

"It has been said that when Joe released what was designed simply to be a sampler EP of four of this albums tracks, that only 99 copies were ever produced. It seems more likely however, that only 99 copies were ever actually sold. Various problems Joe had with his distributors and finances ensured that the full length 'I Hear A New World' LP was permanently shelved. Well, until years after Joe's death, of course. The years passed, and 'I Hear A New World' acquired something of a lengendary status, particularly amongst techno/electronica artists. Indeed, 'I Hear A New World' comes across as a particularly exotic and out of this world electronica LP. Albeit one produced and recorded in 1960. And that's where Joe Meek comes into the equation, of course. This was a project very dear to his heart, recordings designed to show the world the full range of his production, composing and recording techniques. Joe's obsession with all things outer-space lended the album its concept, even if his backing band at the time weren't particularly fond of being christened 'the blue men' and being asked to go on stage wearing costumes and asked to have their faces, etc - painted entirely blue! Needless to say, Rod Freeman and The Blue Men, as Joe had indeed christened them for this release, weren't too happy! Anyway, to get the outer space sounds of the moon and beyond that Joe desired, he used a mixture of Hawaiian guitar, bass, drums, a deliberately out of tune piano. He used combs, running water, treated electronics and a wide variety of other percussive and pioneering mixing effects.
That little potted history out of the way, what do we make of this album, exactly? How does it come across listened to in the early part of the 21st century? Well, dated in places, of course. That's only to be expected. There is a timeless appeal to the record overall, though. Some of the actual melodies that Joe composed are absolutely beautiful in their haunting simplicity. Joe Meek was tone deaf, by the way. His hummed demos are reputedly absolutely astonishing!! Still, Joe had these sounds in his head, and utilized his studio and musicians brilliantly to bring his imagined sounds into reality. Listening to 'I Hear A New World', i'd say he did a pretty good job! The title track, for example. Treated backing vocals, both the lead vocal and the backing track deliberately out of tune in places. The guitar sound ringing after each "haunting me....." vocal refrain. The sounds produced are unlike sounds you will hear anywhere else. Utterly distinctive and original sounds are all over this LP. There is a reason it is revered. 'Orbit Around The Moon' is actually more typical Meek instrumental fare, a little shuffling thing that sounds less 'outer space' than much of the LP. Well, it sounds like a delicious mix of Country And Western, provided said Country And Western musical combo were actually from Mars and Pluto. Enough said!!
'Magnetic Field' is eerie sound effects, then eerie actual melodies and undescribable sounds. 'Love Dance Of The Saroos' is a particular favourite of mine, the melody utterly delectable. The way the sound is painted around the melody, the way the echo and percussion has been used. It's hard to believe, but it's true that 'Love Dance Of The Saroos' sounds like the kind of material Brian Wilson was producing in 1967 and 1968. Instrumentals that forgoe any kind of basic rock form in favour of reaching truly for the heavens and reaching truly for sounds and places that can only be imagined. So, ambitious? Well, yes. Ambitious, at other times astonishing, at other times scary and other times beautiful and beautifully funny. That's Joe Meeks 'I Hear A New World'. I like it a lot. I'd heard about this record. Until I actually heard it though... well. All I can say is, it's truly unlike anything else i've heard in my entire life. That's a good thing, obviously." -Adrian Denning.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Kinski - Alpine Static

h!!p://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3D3ZGYQ0O16AO27TKXYNVEZVSQ

"Every fan and detractor knows the formula: Kinski alternately cajoles and pummels with warm droney passages and all-out riff-based assaults, sometimes building to climaxes, sometimes launching headlong into them. Last year’s Don’t Climb On and Take the Holy Water, presented under the Herzog moniker, offered a glimpse into some latent orchestrated possibilities, apparent in retrospect on Airs Above your Station but not really that album’s MO.
Alpine Static presents a fairly radical shift in group dynamics and deployment, successfully incorporating the sonic wash of Holy Water into the Kinski model while often stretching the boundaries of said model almost to its breaking point. Longtime fans of the trademark sludgy psych needn’t worry, as tracks like “The Party which you Know Will be Heavy” and “Passed Out On your Lawn” thrive on it, and the disc has several of those slow-burn Kinski epics. However, each track presents twists and turns that keep things fresh and exciting through Kinski’s boldest statement to date.
After coddling to expectations and preconceptions for several minutes, “Hot Stenographer” suddenly comes to a dissonant halt on a single held note; beyond the guarded fluidity of much ambient drone, this is a frozen moment of clarity before the riffage kicks back in. It is only the first of many such instances on a disc that, more than any Kinski effort so far, thrives on abrupt changes in the sonic landscape. Some of them chart new territory for the band: witness the momentary descent into a rather unsubtle but undeniable Derek Bailey-esque maelstrom on “The Party Which You Know Will Be Heavy,” or the relentlessly heavy mindnumbing conclusion to “Stenographer.” Equally poignant but similarly unexpected is a beautifully Frippertronic excursion that closes “Passed Out on your Lawn,” almost inverting the “lull, build, crush” Kinski aesthetic. The inner details exposed in each sound on Holy Water seem to have pervaded Kinski’s compositions, giving them a new freedom and imbuing Alpine Static with an experimental edge that complements the group’s already visceral approach." -Marc Medwin

"You probably know this feeling: you're watching one of your favorite bands perform, and they're on fire, nailing every song so perfectly that you wish you'd bootlegged the show. And then, during an extended version of one of their best songs, they hit that "transformational" moment; the hair stands up on the back of your neck, you feel a palpable change in the air around you, and the music becomes a whole order of magnitude more powerful. It's an amazing, blissful, body-tingling moment -- hell, it's one of the reasons we go to shows in the first place. It's also an experience that any Kinski fan should recognize -- the group's live gigs are full of little sonic revelations, though they're hard to capture on record.
Here's the good news: Alpine Static features many of those musical epiphanies, and the bits between them are totally respectable as well.
Consider opener "Hot Stenographer"; after its minute-long slabs-o'-distortion intro, you'd be forgiven for expecting an airless psych-rock jam rather than the lean, muscular, AC/DC-esque rockout that follows. It's definitely time to haul out the air instruments -- at least until the two guitars lapse into a gently bent B chord that sounds as if it may never end. You've seen this happen at a show: the players hold a single feedback-frosted note as the audience stands, wondering what's coming next. A few people start cautious conversations, and a youngish, cranky-looking female audience member puts her fingers in her ears, and you begin to wonder if the song is over. Then, shortly after you've decided that the song is over, the jam resumes full force, the sheer tightness of its stabbing riffs sending shivers down your spine. That's what "Hot Stenographer" delivers -- pulse-quickening excitement.
Losing the classic rock vibe is "The Wives of Artie Shaw"'s first order of business; the bleak, bristling lead-in and elastic chorus jam might well have been borrowed from Sonic Youth's 1990 playbook. The playing is fevered, the pace unrelenting. "Hiding Drugs in the Temple (Part 2)" sprinkles a little noodling action over the Big, Bleak Riffs™; Chris Martin and Matthew Reid-Schwartz work their way from basic call-and-response to a knock-down, drag-out guitar battle as drummer Barrett Wilke reels off thunderous fills in the background.
"The Party Which You Know Will Be Heavy"'s dual picked melody is almost unnaturally gentle and mannered, implying a massive flare-up in the offing. This time, you get a few minutes' warning -- four measures of strummed chords before the storm, which sounds like huge chunks of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless falling out of the sky into the song. Then, suddenly, the whole thing stops dead -- total silence at first, followed by the sort of near subliminal noises you hear when musicians holding very noisy instruments attempt to be completely quiet. Then, after a few cautious, throat-clearing guitar vocalizations, the song starts up with a new, more urgent melody -- a confident, anthemic bit of three-chord (and later four-chord) business, underscored by howls of feedback, decorated with tightly-fingered patterns. It's a gorgeous denouement, but it isn't enough for Kinski: with two minutes to go it fades to a sunny hum, then mounts a pretty, entirely feedback-free dual-guitar melody for a quintessential indie rock close, pure enough to give you shivers.
"Passed Out On Your Lawn" gives bassist Lucy Atkinson a chance to shine: her rhythm layer is a sinister, subharmonic presence beneath the simple, faintly Eastern guitar figure that repeats in the song's opening minutes. When the inevitable loud bit arrives, Atkinson echoes that initial guitar figure while Martin and Reid-Schwartz squall around her, shading in the shadows like a carefully inked sketch. The twist here is that there's a gaping sonic chasm stuck in the middle of this "Lawn", a black hole from which no melody escapes, and only the vaguest swirling sketches of sound reach the other side, full of funereal ambiance. "All Your Kids Have Turned to Static" sustains the newly mellow vibe, pitting Reid-Schwartz's expressive flute against Martin's plaintive finger-picked tune, plus a syrupy layer of... well, it's either keyboard or organ or pedaled-to-hell guitar, but whatever it is, it makes the song feel like a fever dream.
In the interest of leaving Alpine Static a few of its surprises, we'll simply note that "The Snowy Parts of Scandinavia" has been a staple of the band's live set for a few years, and offers a few heart-in-mouth shocks amid its feedback-drenched catharsis and Stereolab-friendly jam. "Edge Set" offers more indie rock tingles, and closer "Waka Nusa" pledges itself unquestioningly to a very intimate finale.
One of Kinski's great strengths is their willingness to commit to their basic format; although Reid-Schwartz in particular could probably rock any instrument he sets hands on, the band never add extra, eclectic instrumentation simply for the sake of doing so. Indeed, they squeeze so much depth out of their standard, straightforward formula that even the flute can sound oddly stuntish 'til it finds its place in a song. Alpine Static's only disappointment is the fact that drummer Barrett Wilke's powerful rhythms are often stranded in the background; Wilke gives his kit a near-fatal beating over the album's course, and it's a pity that his ferocious fills, so often caught in passing, don't get more chances to dominate. Listen closely to "Passed Out On Your Lawn" to hear him get his workout.
Alpine Static celebrates Kinski's near-Tantric knack for finding yet another climax in the midst of their drawn-out, cathartic instrumental shudders. It highlights their talent for finding the core of invention within repetition, and suggests far greater peaks (and much greener valleys) in their future. And as far as recapturing those fleeting concert-going thrills is concerned, it's top-notch." -George Zahora

"Maybe Kinski does rely on the loud/soft dynamic quite a lot in their compositions and, frankly, their last album seemed too bent on switching between churning, piston-driven rock and more electronic affairs that simply hummed and drifted away within the record. It was a distracting feature on an otherwise fine album; all that's changed with Alpine Static. The blasted, wailing guitars and metronomic drum performances are still present, but the compositions have more depth to them. Tracks like "The Party Which You Know Will Be Heavy" and "Passed Out On Your Lawn" pass between thumping, heavy sections and subdued portions that are equally exotic and familiar. The use of atmospheric movements within some of the pieces works much better than previously due to the inclusion of far more organic sounds. When the strings freak out and begin to convulse like a dying animal there's no sense of forced drama or pause, the album flows together as one continuous piece of music. It's pretty amazing feat considering the range of sounds to be found and the fact that a couple of these tracks have been floating around for a little while now in one form or another. Both "Hiding Drugs in the Temple (Part 2)" and "Passed Out On Your Lawn" have appeared before in some form or another and with different names. Also refreshing is the dynamic of darker and lighter songs on Alpine Static. My experience with Kinski is that they tend to pick a mood and stick to it, but between different songs and, sometimes, within a given song Kinski switch up the atmosphere and spirit easily and seamlessly. There's no shortage of very serious rocking, but the best parts of the album are when they manage to build a real tension and then release it perfectly with a wave of drumming fury and infinitely stretched guitar tones that each something like pure noise feedback. They control it just enough to give it a melodic edge that makes it captivating. Alpine Static is a huge improvement on their past albums, mainly because I want to listen to the entire record instead of skipping around and looking for the aggressive, propulsive songs on the album and leaving the rest to sit as filler. Every portion of the album is used more economically and satisfyingly, making it a more enjoyable listen and a more well- rounded piece of music all the way around." -Lucas Schleicher
autistic licence
sloth is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:26 AM       
h##p://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3EMKXFID50YF42R51IG3R8PDGB

HARVESTMAN - LASHING THE RYE

"Long known for blazing scorching psychedelic guitar trails in the heavy music realm with Neurosis, Steve Von Till now turns his attention to the world of more straightforward psychedelic rock guitar. Lashing The Rye is the first record from Steve under his new pseudonym Harvestman, and an impressive debut it is!

Hung upon the framework of traditional music and mixed with a liberal dose of the subtle sounds and textures that we've come to recognize as distinctly `Neurot' in tenor, this is a new window on the inner workings of Von Till's psyche...or at least some of what goes on in his private studio late at night." - southern.com

h##p://s54.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2BPZ9K5D0EQDC14WF7KGJDRVAA

GINNUNGAGAP - REMEINDRE

"Wishing to forego the amplifier worship of previous projects, the trio set about using acoustic instruments to create a meditative and different kind of "heavy" musical landscape filled with the drone of traditional Indian Harmonium, Tamboura and Sruti Box alongside bowed and plucked guitars and layers of wordless voice. The resulting four compositions are powerful, reflective and extremely beautiful. The inspiration for this session came from the soundtrack work of Popul Vuh for the films of Werner Herzog and Alejandro Jodorowsky's collaborative music for his films from the early 70's along with more modern artists like Ben Chasny's Six Organs Of Admittance and Jack Rose's Pelt." - southern.com