Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 09:10 AM        The President's conservation speech....
....got leaked. You can read the entire transcript here, but the best part was this:

"I ask Congress to give me authority for mandatory conservation and for standby gasoline rationing. To further conserve energy, I'm proposing tonight an extra $10 billion over the next decade to strengthen our public transportation systems. And I'm asking you for your good and for your nation's security to take no unnecessary trips, to use carpools or public transportation whenever you can, to park your car one extra day per week, to obey the speed limit, and to set your thermostats to save fuel. Every act of energy conservation like this is more than just common sense — I tell you it is an act of patriotism.

Our nation must be fair to the poorest among us, so we will increase aid to needy Americans to cope with rising energy prices. We often think of conservation only in terms of sacrifice. In fact, it is the most painless and immediate way of rebuilding our nation's strength. Every gallon of oil each one of us saves is a new form of production. It gives us more freedom, more confidence, that much more control over our own lives."
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 09:14 AM       
"On "Good Morning America," Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly took a tough line with President Bush while chatting with ABC's Charlie Gibson, saying, "Because of Katrina, people stopped giving the President the benefit of the doubt." O'Reilly said that the President cannot recover from the political damage he has suffered in the wake of Katrina with rhetoric.

The conservative talk show host also chastised the President for not talking about energy conservation sooner. "Why didn't he say this five years ago?" asked O'Reilly. "We're being held hostage. . . For 20 years, we haven't heard about any self-sacrifice.""
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM       
I find both these things... well, scary.

I support everything W is supposedly going to say, although I find it difficult to believe he will. But for this guy to say those things... it is such and about face, it goes so against the grain of who he's been up to now... the stuff he knows must be so damn bad it's nearly terrifying. As bad as things have been up to now, he hasn't asked for any form of sacrafice from anyone.

Of course, it could all be lip service. What 'manadtory conservation' is he going to ask congress or? Will it involve drilling in Alaska or some other thing that's been on his wish list all along? 'Standby' gas rationing? What does thaat mean? That he might do it? Ten Billion for public transport would be great, but is that going to Amtrak or Halliburton? And as for the rest, if even Bill Reilly says you are too late to the game to be taken seriously... I'm not sure any of the folks who got tax breaks on their Hummers are going to drive them less as a patriotic gesture.

And as for Mr. Reilly, when a rat that fat and lazy leaves the ship, there
can be no doubt at all it is sinking.

OH HOW I WISH VINTH WERE HERE!!! Or Naldo for that matter! If either one of them could be made to choose between O'reilly and Bush! I know it's vain hope, but I'll make a thread.