Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 09:13 PM        Christina Aguilera
It's time for me to confess.

I don't hate her anymore. In fact, I like some of her new stuff, like "Beautiful", and "Get Mine, Get Yours". I've even considered buying the album. I'd really like to get ahold of the Terence Trent D'Arby cover she did.

I also admit that I find her "village bicycle" image sorta sexy. I think it's just a phase, but I'll take her over Advil Latrine.

A fine essay from Nerve about Christina.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 09:32 PM       
The article is exactly what the hotshot Image makers hoped they would generate with the choice of clothes, attitude they manufactured for the pop puppet in question in the general public. It's also very shallow, in that it says that honesty is commendable, while not saying that honesty in what you are saying is what's actually relevant. And the pop puppet is saying nothing.

I'm not saying not listen to her. I'm saying do not at any circumstances take her seriously. In doing that, into seriously sitting down and analyzing wether she's this or that, no matter what your conclusion is, you are essentially doing worse than just buying her record. You put trust in an industry that has been reeking with the smell of corruption forever.
Little Monster
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 10:12 PM       
I agree with your point about the industry's scary trend toward manufactured authenticity. The industry has realized that the audience that was geared toward teen pop have realized the phoniness of it all. Hence the emergence of "punk" Avril Lavigne.

But I actually think there is a certain grain of truth to Christina's sluttiness. There's a certain conviction there that I find in her attempt that didn't find in Britney Spears' attempt to appropriate a more "adult" image. In a recent episode of SNL, there was a cartoon where the Peanuts kids went around and dressed up everything around them like they'd dress a Christmas tree. One of them was a hooker on a street. They dressed her up. Before you know it, she was singing "Dirrty". As if "Genie in a Bottle" never even existed. With Britney, people will still remember her for "Baby, One More Time".

I mean, what do a lot of 21-22 year olds think about, seriously? Lots of sexually active young adults think about sex. (That's not to say that all 21-22 think exclusively about sex--that's not true.) I think it's more honest to talk about wanting to get laid than it is to create pseudo introspective confessionals for the sake of "honesty", or to write songs about the validation of a "Skater Boy". Still, you're right--it is scary that the industry has been trying to manufacture authenticity.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 10:21 PM       
The whole point is that this manufactured or not authenticity -I do not care!- serves what? What idea and what belief? Nothing. Suddenly, believing something with true passion is enough.

It is not. This is what's scary. Many people believed lots of bullshit with a fervor unmatched. This should not be enough.

I've seen kids go on about how 'true' this and that is, and how much that person is 'keeping it real' and if you ask what exactly are they keeping real, there is no answer. I do not care how much Jennifer Lopez is true to herself, I care WHAT herself stands for. It stands for nothing.

I cannot stress this enough. Those people are empty people, and to bother just a second with their emptiness, you are justifying their choice to be vanact, and validading their existance. If we care, then they have a right to exist. They are the mark of a time where we bother more with the expression of acts than the acts themselves. It's like someone pointing at NOTHING, and us idiots are arguing over how much he believes in pointing.
Little Monster
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 11:30 PM       
Dude, lighten up. It's just pop music.

Quote:
I do not care how much Jennifer Lopez is true to herself, I care WHAT herself stands for. It stands for nothing.
Agreed.
tenno is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:36 PM       
my one taste of manufactured sex left me with a 80$ hole in my pocket and a peice of plastic that looked like a doll.

damn the dream wreckers!!!

your version intrigues me

MaskedMonk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 05:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Modular
"Skater Boy"
u SpElLeD 1T wR0Ng
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:02 PM        14 year olds fucking killed punk
Avril Lavigne is on my list of people I want to destroy. 14 year olds see her and think punk is a snotty attitude and dressing in spiked bracelets thanks to her. I'm not a punk, but I have a general idea as to what it means, and I know DAMN well it ain't little Avril.

If only Wendy O. Williams would come back to life and destroy her!
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:02 PM        14 year olds fucking killed punk
Whoopsie. Posted twice.

MaskedMonk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:26 PM       
Holy crap I know who that is!
(I had to check google to make sure though)
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:03 AM       
i haven't gotten into the music i've heard from her--which isn't extensive--but i thought her response song to eminem's "the real slim shady" was funny.

BulletCatcher is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 11:57 PM       
All I have to say is that I know alot of people in Wexford. None of them have anything good to say about her. Evidently she was a crotch vacuum for the more popular guys in her school.
jailbaitmonger is probably a spambot
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 02:39 AM       
Christina is hot!

Fookin Flappy is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 12:07 PM       
It wasn't until I saw Avril on the Grammy awards that I started to depise her, previously I had actually enjoyed her music. She was acting so snotty, nasty, and immature I just wanted to slap her!

WorthlessLiar is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 05:44 PM        re
Quote:
She was acting so snotty, nasty, and immature I just wanted to slap her!
Yeah but she's being true to her snotty, nasty self and you should admire her for that. Needless to say, I agree with Helm in this thread. Pop music is for kids and people who aren't really music listeners (No offense Mod). I'm sick of running into people who use the whole real excuse to continue listening to it. I guess if you can admit that it has no redeeming value and you just like the tune than fine. But don't try to justify it by claiming these people are poets who are true to themselves.

ceri is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:03 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie
i haven't gotten into the music i've heard from her--which isn't extensive--but i thought her response song to eminem's "the real slim shady" was funny.
Christina didn't make that song, it was some female comedian.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:02 AM       
i should've known. i downloaded it from kazaa.
Blackjack is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 02:28 PM       
Dear Christina Aguilera:

Please stop being at Number 1 this week.

Thank you.