Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 11:55 AM        Terror warnings boost presidential approval ratings
http://www.wstm.com/global/story.asp...Type=Printable

Terror warnings boost presidential approval ratings

SYRACUSE, N.Y. Pundits have long professed that the president's approval rating jumps every time a terror warning is issued. Now a new study from Cornell University confirms it.

Robb Willer of Cornell's Sociology and Small Groups Laboratory says the study found that President Bush's approval rating rose an average of 2-point-75 points after terror warnings were issued.

Rogan Kersh, a professor of American politics and elections at Syracuse University, said it's no surprise that there's a rally-round-the-president effect when the nation is alarmed.

Kersh said most politicians probably use that to their advantage. But he said the danger is that it turns into a "cry wolf" effect.

Willer took up his study in the aftermath of the September 11th terrorist attacks after watching Bush's approval rating soar from 51 percent on September 10th to 86 percent five days later.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:03 PM       
I read a similar study the other day that showed the percentage of Americans that answer "Who the Hell is Jose Padilla?" also jumps with each terror scare.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
=======

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:09 PM       
DIRTY POOL!!!

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
=======

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:12 PM       
XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX WED OCT 27, 2004 12:42:01 ET XXXXX

ABCNEWS HOLDS TERROR WARNING TAPE

**Exclusive**

In the last week before the election, ABCNEWS is holding a videotaped message from a purported al Qaeda terrorist warning of a new attack on America, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The terrorist claims on tape the next attack will dwarf 9/11. "The streets will run with blood," and "America will mourn in silence" because they will be unable to count the number of the dead. Further claims: America has brought this on itself for electing George Bush who has made war on Islam by destroying the Taliban and making war on Al Qaeda.

ABCNEWS strongly denies holding the tape back from broadcast over political concerns during the last days of the election.

The CIA is analyzing the tape, a top federal source tells the DRUDGE REPORT.

ABCNEWS obtained the tape from a source in Waziristan, Pakistan over the weekend, sources tells DRUDGE.

"We have been working 24 hours a day trying to authenticate [the tape]," a senior ABCNEWS source said Wednesday morning.

The terrorist's face is concealed by a head dress, and he speaks in an American accent, making it difficult to identify the individual.

US intelligence officials believe the man on tape may be Adam Gadhan - aka Adam Pearlman, a California native who was highlighted by the FBI in May as an individual most likely to be involved in or have knowledge of the next al Qaeda attacks.

According to the FBI, Gadahn, 25, attended al-Qaida training camps and served as an al-Qaida translator.

The disturbing tape runs an hour -- the man simply identifies himself as 'Assam the American.'

=======

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:13 PM       
Assam the American