Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:57 PM       
not much. i have stayed out by myself for only one night with nothing. but i used to camp in scouts :nerd alot and go on big week long trips. I think with a few basic tools, and a little bit more reasearch on some survival techniques i would be ok. granted i dont know how well i would do but i think i could survive for two weeks at least.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 07:14 PM       
Well Doopa... have you considered tattoo artistry?

It worked out for me. I get to do something I love and make a more than decent living at it. The best part is, the only person I have to answer to is a friendly (albeit heavily tattooed) metalhead.

Maybe it might not be up your alley, but trust me, I knew what you were feeling, and despite all the negative stigma surrounding it, it's actually a SAFER job to work than most, heh... well, just as long as you don't fuck up and forget to sterilize something.

At any rate... it was a job I as an artist enjoy the hell out of, and it's definitely not making me poor...
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:19 PM       
Skullhed, I didn't know you were a tattoo artist. How about posting some pictures of your work?

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:08 PM       
Not to burst your bubble or anything...

Is Your Job Boring You To Death?
Tuesday June 24, 2003

By MICHAEL CHIRON

HOUSTON, Texas -- Warning: That boring, humdrum job of yours could actually kill you, a chilling new scientific study reveals.

Researchers from the University of Texas School of Public Health have found that workers who drift through the day in undemanding jobs with little control over what they do are 35 percent more likely to drop dead in a given 10-year period than workers in more challenging positions.

The results fly in the face of conventional wisdom, which holds that people with exciting but high-stress jobs such as CEO, espionage agent or nuclear sub commander are more likely to keel over dead from heart attacks.

Instead, the university experts now say it's clock-watching drones -- like comic-strip wage-slave Dilbert or Drew Carey's character in his popular TV sitcom -- who are headed for an early grave.

In other words, you really can die of boredom.

The experts, whose stunning findings were published in the Journal of Psychosomatic Medicine, warn that folks in mind-numbingly boring jobs tend to feel increasingly useless and detached from events around them.

This often leads to "adopting of high-risk behaviors that can lead to a higher risk of death," such as boozing heavily, writes professor Benjamin C. Amick III, lead author of the eye-opening study.

Amick and his team based their conclusions on surveys and other data collected from 7,500 adults nationwide in a variety of occupations.

The most deadly jobs, they found, were those that the subjects found dull as dishwater -- ho-hum positions such as night janitor that "are largely lacking in meaningful content," according to Amick.

The dullsville-equals-deadville study suggests that doing something you find rewarding is essential for a long and healthy life.

"The meaningfulness of work may be an important contributor," says Amick.

ARE YOU AT RISK?
Forget about the so-called "risky" jobs like firefighter, bomb-defuser, fighter pilot or transporting nitroglycerin over mountainous backroads by truck. Experts say you're most likely to die in the next 10 years if you have a snooze-worthy job like one of these:

Tollbooth operator
Doorman
Assembly-line worker
Lighthouse keeper
Screw inspector
Exterminator
Proofreader
Night watchman
Gravedigger
Thumbtack salesman

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:45 PM       
holay makaronah thanks for the encouragement and sympathy

about rog talking about me and hating my art or overthinking it or whatnot... well if I ever actually liked it or was satisfied by something I did I would probably stop doing it. Then the 'problem' would be solved, because that's what it feels like to me - that I am solving a problem. So it's ok to hate what you do SOMETIMES.
(not with a job though. that's whole different hate)

but I agree with dole about trying to make a living off of it can kill it. I think that makes me overthink things in a bad way. In a "can I sell this" way. So that is why I have more recently really tried not to even think about that sort of success or whatever. I just need to work on it and not worry about it (this also related to what Max said about the process being more important. If I have to worry about making money, the end product is what becomes more important to me)

anyway, there is a lot in this thread I will need to think about

I had that job interview thing today. At least the people seem decent so if I get it I think that would be ok for now.

Late this afternoon I took a nap and had a FARM NIGHTMARE. So I think that killed my farm dreams. It was wicked frightening. At the end of the nightmare I literally 'put a lid on it' (the farm. a giant lid). But I am still going to start a window box, amd maybe someday I will have a fairly big garden and I can have a stand at the side of the road to sell my lettuce and peas.

I feel bad for everyone else who is miserable. I don't think it is necessary. It's just a matter of figuring out something that you wold enjoy and that is reasonably obtainable. What do I know I am still miserable. What I can't understand is why there are people in these jobs who are miserable themselves and hate it (managing/exec positions) who feel the need to inflict misery on everyone else. You would think they would be understanding and try to make things better.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 10:04 PM       
at the same time though, work is just something ya gotta do if you enjoy it or not. work doesnt have to be your whole life. i am sure once i get a real job i probaly will hate it (who knows...), but i can live with that cause there will always be time outside of work.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:39 AM       
But farming can be informative too. After my friends and I spent a whole summer bailing hay for one of our neighbors, I was able to conclude that I had hayfever allergies.

It didn't take me the whole summer to learn this but he paid us well, had a couple of hot daughters (skip the farmer's daughter jokes) and he'd buy us beer once or twice a week after we finished our work for the day. Alcohol is very important in the development of 16 year-old boys. He'd give us just a couple and say that "a man's work deserves a man's drink". I felt like a man. But then again, he was a little whacky and anti-government and had a handgun shooting range in his backyard. :/

Wherever you go, there you are.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:37 PM       
Max, my sister is an artist who is going into art therapy, she finds the field very interesting and I think she'll find it rewarding if she actually goes through with it (she's working at an apartment complex now and still living with my parents to try to pay off her college debts).

I found what you said to be pretty inspirational, Max, especially that whole bit about how the whole body of work is most imporant. People tell me I'm talented, but I'm usually too lazy to get off my ass and write anything (and I have a hard time believing in my abilities). But then I get mad when I see someone else who is truly talented wasting their talents or being selfish and not sharing them with the world.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:45 PM       
You could all just become bums, never work a day and drift around from train car to train car, hoping to rob random mice of their breadcrums. Then you'd be focused on survival, that and finding a place to take a leak.

But then you'd have to give up your wonderful computers.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:54 PM       
Or we could just run away into the wilderness, sleep in leaf beds, eat bugs, and shit in bushes like our noble ancestors.