Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 07:41 PM        Blaster Worm. Then CRC errors? Helm says WTF. Help!
Okay so apparently I had a Blaster Worm variant that activated on the 16th of this month and it was hell to clean out. Actually I'm not 100% sure that it is completely cleaned out, but then again I'm on the 'net for half an hour no and no shutdown message. So that's taken care of. Sort of.

Another (far more important problem) that popped up in the last few days which I attributed to the Blaster Worm is that when I use InstalShield installers (that depend on unpacking .cad or .bin or whatever files) or when I look in other archives (usually .rar) I get a buttload of Cyclic Redundancy Check errors. That's a CRC error, for those of you into abbrns. Header errors. Now I'm not so sure it's cause of the Blaster. This usually means you have a virus that's fucking up your data and that may well be, but Norton, Panda and McAfee check out clean besides the Worm infection. And I don't even think Blaster can do that sort of damage.

Besides, I mounted a clean bought game cd and I try to install it and I get crc errors when InstallShield tries to unpack. I try the same game on another computer and it's clean and it installs and everything. So obviously I've got a local problem. Fuck if I know exactly what's going on.

What I've tried:

Reinstalling windows (no formatting! I gotta back up 51 gigs of data if I'm going to format) : result? Same crc errors. Faulty Windows disk?

Reinstalling service pack and windows upgrade bits: result? no difference.

What I'm going to try: I'm going to buy another IDE HD in monday and do a clean windows install on that HD using another version of windows xp pro just in case there's something wrong with my disk. If I STILL get these crc errors then I've got a fucking hardware problem and I don't even know where to look for it.

What I want to ask everybody is if anyone's ever encountered anything of the like. And help generally doesn't hurt. I haven't been online for two weeks because of this bulshit and I'd like to get over and done with it soon. I got a severe case of depression because I've got a 1,600 $ machine sitting here moaning like a crippled workhorse trying to get up.

Oh and don't get me fucking started on the fact that I have to find a new code for windows activation or I'm defaulting out in 24 days. Fucking microsoft. First time I actually buy my fucking OS and it's THIS time I'm gonna get blocked out of my system for it. Somebody play that stupid Alanis Morissjtgrghrehwweeyytte song.

MEATMAN is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 08:07 PM       
Format. It's the only way. I had to throw out 20 gigs of info to clean out my disks.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 08:18 PM       
Try this for the key. No guarantees, though, and sometimes it takes a loooong time to find one (took me 30 attempts to find 1 good key). I don't really know of anything better, though.

http://members.shaw.ca/achimp/gen.exe

EDIT: The problem is likely remnants of the virus, or a problem with your CD-ROM... try switching it to the good computer.
Mocker

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 08:20 PM       
Yeah you're right I am typing with one arm right now because I had this nasty rash between my index and middle finger so I cut my arm off at the shoulder.
Mocker

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 08:39 PM       
CD-ROM? I tried on both dvd drives, and I even copied the files from the cd to the HD and tried to install from there. This happens in nearly EVERY instalshiled installer I try to use, and on nearly every archive I open. So it's not the CD Rom. And what do you mean about switching it on the good computer?
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 08:42 PM       
I meant switching the CD-ROM to the computer that wasn't causing the problem. Sometimes when a drive starts to wear out, the data can get all messed up when it's read.

I think a complete reinstall is the only thing that will save your machine...
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:18 AM       
i think i have a blaster worm thing, too. My computer is restarting automatically and all these weird spam messages are popping outta nowhere
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 01:04 AM       
So it occurs on every installsheild installer even if it is something downloaded and not form a cd?

now when u say u reinstalled did u do a repair or did u install windows to antoher directory on the same hard drive? or did u just try to reinstall over it?

oh yea and maybe try a system restore.

you should get a verison of xp without the activation. im glad I did.
although I am now an msdn subscriber so now i have legal copies of every windows version for free legally
Mocker

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 11:38 AM       
it occurs on ALMOST every installshield installer, regardless of source (cd rom, floppy or downloaded binary ) and on many archives. I've checked the archives and installers on clean computers and they work. It aint the Dvdroms for sure.

I installed over the cwindows directory. Which sort of makes sense to still have the problem in a way, but still. It's supposed to overwrite the registry and everything, right? Do you suggest I install in another directory and/or partition? I solved the regkey windows thing with getting another (cracked) version of windows. I'll try a clean install in monday on a new IDE HD and if that doesn't work I'm pretty much fucked since I've voided my guaranty by opening the computer case... Oh well. We'll see monday.

Sys restore? I just reinstalled windows, is there any sense in that? And how do I do it?
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:36 PM       
How did you get to be an MSDN subscriber, whoreable? It costs lots... or did you get a discount through college/university?
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:39 PM       
yea if you just reinstalled system restore wont do any good. but ti does bring back an old copy of the registry, in the future you access it by start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.

after you reinstalled did it change all the windows xp settigns to factory default? or does it appear to be using an old copy of the registry and still using your old settings? if the install went correctly then it should have put in a new regisrty. if not you can this

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:25 AM       
Helm, next time back up all your files and then reformat it's the only way to remove a bad virus in my opinion.
Mocker

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:40 PM       
I'm on a lan party right now. my pc is off to be repaired since apprently it is a hardware error (bought a new IDE HD and reinstalled windows off of another cd, still crc errors on bin cab and archive files) so I'm going to set it back to the people that sent it to me to fix. Like, major bummer, dude :/

Still all my data is ok so that's some consolement.