Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 04:19 AM        Shitty scaremongering 'Journalism'
I was watching the ITV (the UK's main commercial channel) News last night, and they ran with a lead story that a 'major terrorist attack in the style of 9/11' had been thwarted in the uk. They had shots of 9/11 whilst they said that Al Queda had been foiled from carrying out a similar attack in London, ie flying planes into skyscrapers......their wasn't a shred of actual proof for this bollocks. This 'story' came from a journalist who said a 'senior authorative source' had said an attack had been planned, but he refused to say who by (after they had already said 'Al Queda' in the story), what stage the plans had got to, when it had been thwarted, whether anyone had been arrested (!) nor provided even a single shred of evidence to back up these claims.
And guess what? This is on the eve of the Queen's speech which announces the laws to be made in the next year of parliament. And what a fucking surprise, there are a whole raft of new 'anti-terror' laws, allowing 'suspects' to be held indefinitely without charge, trial without Jury.....the journalist in the news item made reference to this and said it was pure coincidence! What a crock of shit.
Its the worst kind of hack tabloid scaremongering I have ever seen on UK TV.

Strapping Young Lad is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 04:46 AM       
Soon there will be the UK secret police, swiftly removing suspected terrorists in the night, never to be heard from again. Better watch what you say from now on. Any "Freudian slips" could cause you to become vaporized.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 08:36 AM       
What is the Queen going to do about this?
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:29 AM       
look constipated. I'm more interested in Dole's take on the move to impeach Blair....any chance of it happening?
Mocker
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:16 AM       
I very much doubt it - unless he gets his wang stick out and invites Her Maj to grasp 'the fleshy sceptre' whilst also gripping his 'regal orbs'.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:57 AM       
That's what I thought....
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 11:19 AM       
Ever read Alan Moore's early graphic novel "V for Victory", a story of fascism run amuck in England?
Mocker
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 11:23 AM       
Do you mean V for Vendetta? Aye, its amazing. I interviewed the artists for my local radio station cos he lives in brighton.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 11:28 AM       
Yes, of course. I had an elderly moment there for a second.

I also noticed the american style timing of the 'Thwarting' story and the announcement of new laws, and it put me in mind of 'V'.

You got to interview the artist? Very cool.
Mocker
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 11:44 AM       
Aye, twas when I was a nipper though a loooong time ago.

Max, you HAVE to see this documentary 'The power of nightmares' that was on over here that deals exactly with this sort of scremongering (and is a history of the neo cons and extreme islamasists) - its very informative and well made - can you play PAL videos or DVDs? I will try and get it burned to dvd if you can...
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:41 PM       
DVD's, yes I can. I'd love to see it.

I think we are three quarters of the way through a familliar though awful historical phenomena where leaders stir the worst instincts in people for purely political reasosns, are then overtaken by new leaders who are actual true believers (where we are right now) who are then overtaken by mob forces far beyond their (or anyones) ability to control. America has in the past been very good about avoiding this sort of thing, pulling back from the precipice just before things got really ugly, but this time I'm not so sure.

Strapping Young Lad is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 01:25 PM       

England prevails, gentlemen.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:28 PM       
A script has been commisioned for a V movie, and I really doubt anyone will have the balls to do it the way it should be done. It could, with little to no rewrites, work as a fable for what is going on today.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 01:00 PM       
see Cornation Street on monday? if an ex-lawer can blow up half of manchester because her fiance dumped her then we should be afraid when someone gets really SUPER PISSED!

anyway, the public should be calmly told in large friendly letters to 'dont panic!', it is less than likely you will be killed by terrorists when compared to the average bus to run you over or football hooligan to smash your skull in.

(this coming from someone who comes from a town which had a terrorist bombing a few years back)