Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:06 AM        Mahdi army siezes city
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- The Shiite militia run by anti-American cleric Muqtada al-Sadr seized total control of the southern Iraqi city of Amarah on Friday in one of the boldest acts of defiance yet by one of the country's powerful, unofficial armies, witnesses and police said.

Ouch. Now what? This is clearly in deffiance of the elected government. But the elected government depends on the 'good will' of the Mahdi army. But how much good will could theyt have if the Mahdi are siezing cities? Rember last year when there was an arrest warrant out for Moqutada, and then there wasn't? Might be time to dust it off. I think siezing a whole city is pretty much an official declaration that you don't recognize the legitimacy of the government.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM       
That's because the government has no legitimacy. I mean, damn. I'm all for turning the whole place into a confederal government.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:17 AM       
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi authorities are deploying more troops and senior security officials to Amarah where at least 16 people have been killed and a notorious Shiite militia is said to have seized the restive southern city.

Tense.