Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 03:25 AM        Cheapest place to buy Windows software?
So I finally settled on a new mini Netbook and just purchased it. Only drawback is that it comes with the Starter Edition of Windows 7, which is basically like a crippled version of the software. So I'd like to upgrade to a full version of it.

Since I haven't purchased a new OS in a while, I wanted to know if you guys have recommendations for where the cheapest place to buy a full version of Windows 7 Home Premium edition would be.

I know I could just download the upgrade on the netbook, but I'd prefer to have it backed up on disc with a full version.

Oh, and in case you're wondering about which Netbook I settled on (since I asked you guys for some feedback), I went with the Toshiba NB305-N410BL. Tested out a bunch o' netbooks and really loved this one. It had the most comfortable keyboard by far, a large touchpad, was in the right price range, etc etc. Purchased a 2 gig ram upgrade for it as well. Hooray :O
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 03:31 AM       
I'm not positive if they're still doing the deal ( i thought it ended in january but i saw stuff about it recently) but the cheapest way would be to be a student/have somebody who is a student buy it for you. You can get it for 30 dollars.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/...windows-7.aspx

i think you can also get and/or burn the upgrade on a disc but I'm not positive..
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 03:45 AM       
piracy
Pickled Patriarch
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 03:49 AM       
Ok, without having to resort to piracy or having some student I don't know purchase it, are there any good places you know of where I can purchase it without paying an arm 'n a leg?
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 03:56 AM       
newegg has the upgrade for $76
OH GOD
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 03:58 AM       
(i am assuming you wanted 7 home premium)
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 04:02 AM       
you know, I think my student version is an upgrade version but when i burned it to a disc it seemed to work like a normal full version. but i dunno if itll be similar to the upgrade version you get ;(
Pickled Patriarch
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 06:18 AM       
Student editions of pretty much any software are no different from the regular versions, they're just cheaper and you need to be a student in order to be able to purchase them.

Willie, that $76 version is the download one, not a copy on disc (that's one of the differences between the "Anytime Upgrade" and the standard upgrade). I'm looking for the full, non-upgrade version of it anyway though. Just grabbed one on eBay for pretty cheap in an auction that was ending while everybody else was sleeping, so that should do the trick. :P
OH GOD
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 06:33 AM       
wait, they charge $2 shipping for a download version? what the hell
BANNED

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 05:11 PM       
Yea, mine was a download version (it was also an upgrade version since it technically requires that you have windows XP or vista or something first) and i just burned it onto a cd and it worked like gravy ;o
also you can usually buy upgrade versions with backup disk which is full version.

good job though, that works.