Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:44 PM       
What is there not to understand, Kevin? Or are you too busy avoiding the question.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:01 PM       
Right, great point. Oriental. I'll tell that to my Korean girlfriend.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:17 PM       
A private party is a private party. The host has the RIGHT to refuse admission to any person he likes. That does not mean I do not find it reprehesible to treat people of a different ethnicity than yours like they aren't the same fucking species. WE are all human. Race is a social construct.

Also, I hope the following will clear up why it should NOT be called an Oriental Graduation Party, unless perhaps, you are from the deep south, where that sort of mentailty is not considered disgusting.

Asian
Usage Note: Asia is the largest of the continents with more than half the world's population. Though strictly speaking all of its inhabitants are Asians, in practice this term is applied almost exclusively to the peoples of East, Southeast, and South Asia as opposed to those of Southwest Asiasuch as Arabs, Turks, Iranians, and Kurdswho are more usually designated Middle or Near Easterners. Indonesians and Filipinos are properly termed Asian, since their island groups are considered part of the Asian continent, but not the Melanesians, Micronesians, and Polynesians of the central and southern Pacific, who are now often referred to collectively as Pacific Islanders. See Usage Note at Oriental.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Oriental
Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Orientalmeaning “eastern”is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:22 PM       
It's good that you got the dictionary and missed the joke.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:10 AM       
I was replying to Vince who has displayed a clear lack of understanding of the terms Asian and Oriental.

Old May 5th, 2003, 10:50 AM       
I understand the terms. I just like to be more descriptive in my describings of people.

And yes, kevin, go tell her. Should I get offended and go huddle in a corner when people talk about Italian sausages, Italian food or Italian Mafia members? Is the term Italian "possessive" and my "feelings" should be hurt? Hell no. It is used to DESCRIBE something! And God forbid I be able to describe something with a bit of detail. And oh man, you should describe your girlfriend's ethnic nature! You may be too obessed with it, since we know how many people can even tell the fucking difference between the various types of Oriental peoples.

If I had a paper right now, I'd hit you like a dog that shit on the floor.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:29 AM       
Vince:

You have a hissy that people insult you and won't 'prove' you wrong. Ziggy absolutely showed you have no idea at all when to use Asian and when to use Oriental in terms of the words ACTUAL MEANINGS and your response, straight out of 'Alice in Wonderland' is that a word means what you wannt it to mean.

"I just like to be more descriptive in my describings of people. "

What does that MEAN? How is confusing these two terms MORE descriptive as opposed to say, less?

As if the above doesn't demonstarte why conversation, let lone argument, is next to impossible becuase you can't express yourself with any clarity;

"You may be too obessed with it, since we know how many people can even tell the fucking difference between the various types of Oriental peoples. "
What does THAT mean?

Old May 5th, 2003, 11:40 AM       
No, max, the only reason I made a big deal out of the words in the first place is because one of my first posts here I had metioned something about having had a girlfriend who was "oriental" and someone made a big fit out of the word. I was being cute.

And max, I was typing fast the past few posts so I typed some crap. Moreso than I usually do, but at least that is my excuse today.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:44 AM       
And so am I left to conclude by Vince's remarks that he has never had the string of wanton asian women that served as the foundation for his "lady's man" image. My image of him has taken a right serious blow, gentlemen. I'm verclempt. I'll need a minute. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic: stereotyping.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Old May 5th, 2003, 11:56 AM       
What the hell are you talking about, kelly?
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:11 PM       
" And max, I was typing fast the past few posts so I typed some crap. Moreso than I usually do, but at least that is my excuse today."

An excuse is exactly what it is. A lot of stuff you type is crap, but you're too lazy to do anything about it, and yet you have a hissy coniption fit if people find you laughable and won't take you seriously. Why should anyone give you any respect when you give yourself so little.

Ego and self respect are two very different things. The first you treat yourself to like an deranged sow on steroids at a make your own sundae bar and the second you demonstrate no sign of whatever.

EDIT: You honestly don't understand the point Kelly is making? Seriously?
Mocker

Old May 5th, 2003, 12:12 PM       
It's called sarcasm. People who've never any meaningful relationships with those of another race, creed, religion, ect. tend to stereotype them. As you tend to do this a lot, I tend to think you've had little or no contact with asian women ... or asians in general ... yet you continue to speak on a topic you know little about. This doesn't really suprise me as that is the case in most subjects that you talk about. It's just that bigotry has no purpose and it's one of my pet peeves. I have a friend whose uncle was a Vietnam POW for several months. Consequently, he developed a hatred for Vietnamese. THAT I can understand somewhat. I don't necessarily agree with him but human emotion isn't always reasonable ... but YOU, who doesn't appear to have even MET an asian person, speak on the topic like you have a PhD in asian studies and just suceed in spreading ignorance, and possibly hate in some cases.

Old May 5th, 2003, 12:18 PM       
Kelly, man, that is WAY off base! Vince has repreatedly stated that he is HOT for asian chicks! He's sad it again and again and again. How you can see tht as some kind of bigotry is beyond me!? How can you be bigooted against a whole race of people you are HOT for?!? How is it RACIST to want to DO chicks if they are HOT ASIAN CHICKS?!? And what about HOT LI'L LATINAS?!?
Mocker

Old May 5th, 2003, 12:26 PM       
You're right, of course, Max. It can NEVER be considered bigotry if you're HOT! for them. Well ... that settles it ... if you generalize in a good way, then it's NOT bigotry. I'm glad we this little talk to clear things up.

Old May 5th, 2003, 12:29 PM       
Hey, I'm a Jew, so I'm really, really good at explaining things.

If I were black I'd have done a dance for you instead.
Mocker

Old May 5th, 2003, 12:33 PM       
And I'm mostly Irish ... and so I probably would have invited you to drink until we forgot about the topic altogether.

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
And yes, kevin, go tell her............ And oh man, you should describe your girlfriend's ethnic nature! You may be too obessed with it, since we know how many people can even tell the fucking difference between the various types of Oriental peoples.
You are a stupid, stupid man.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
If I were black I'd have done a dance for you instead.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 5th, 2003, 04:52 PM       
Quote:
You may be too obessed with it, since we know how many people can even tell the fucking difference between the various types of Oriental peoples.
Duh! There's the hot chicks and the uglies.

Old May 5th, 2003, 11:46 PM       
Sorry I have a rich life filled with various people. Forgive me for not saying with my "kind" as you all would put it.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:03 AM        Race
Bringing up race to use in a description of another person is one thing. But some people seem to bring it up like it's a badge of honor for themselves because they have contact with people of other varying ethnic backgrounds.

People who truly don't think it's a big deal don't feel the need to talk about it at every opportunity.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:31 AM        What?
Well I don't know about you but I had some flan today to celebrate ya dig?

Viva La Puebla!
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:01 AM       
Well, as a Jew, I agree with you, a Caucasin Woman.

And is it my imagination, or have you, GA, a Caucasian Man, not been round much lately?

And a big shout out to Vince, a cognitiively challenged causcasian male.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:06 PM       
I (being Caucasian and pasty white) was just talking to my black friend (who happens to be an African-American) about this the other day and he said "HEY, YO! DAT SHIT AIN'T COOL UP IN THIS PIECE, BIZZNITCH!"

I thought you would appreciate that, humerous Jew.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:17 PM       
Everyone who is black that I've spoken with about it or heard talk about doesn't care one way or the other.