Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM        Exxon Mobil makes big bucks
I wonder what they'll do with all the profits they've made. Donate it to New Orleans?

Exxon Mobil profit rises on soaring prices
Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:42am ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp., the world's largest publicly traded oil company, on Thursday reported quarterly profit surged, driven by rising oil prices.

Net income in the first quarter was $8.4 billion, or $1.37 a share, up from $7.86 billion, or $1.22 a share, a year earlier.

Revenue jumped to $88.98 billion from $82.05 billion.

Crude oil prices have risen steadily from about $20 a barrel in 2002 to over $75 last week, handing oil and gas companies a long-running profit bonanza.

But the fat profits have also angered U.S. drivers grappling with rising gasoline prices and provoked sharp criticism of Big Oil from lawmakers and consumer advocates.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:58 PM       
Despite that I don't know if this article is accurate or true, I've been wondering about this ;/ I remember the last time they raised gases they made record profits and it was an "Accident" so I wonder what their excuse will be this time.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM       
Morons that buy gas guzzling vehicles to go three blocks to the store?

I know, it is really difficult to imagine that a company providing the most highly sought after product in the world is making hand over fist.
say what now?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
Despite that I don't know if this article is accurate or true, I've been wondering about this ;/ I remember the last time they raised gases they made record profits and it was an "Accident" so I wonder what their excuse will be this time.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't an accident. When information like this comes around for the second time, it totaly contadicts their statement. I mean do you even own a car? Cuz if you do you would notice that exxon and mobil sells the most exspensive gas than any other station, except for shells (I think) I'm pretty sure they will blame the muslims this time around.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM       
it's a real problem for our nation's truck drivers tho.
say what now?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:36 PM       
Yeah I worry that price for everthing will go up to keep up with truckers' income
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM       
to keep up with the truckers' income? uh, geggy, they don't make that much money. is there anyone who ISN'T in on this conspiracy?
say what now?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:46 PM       
Some of the money you use to pay for the product goes to the truck driver who delivered the product. Is that so hard for you to understand?
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM       
sooooo how does that translate into MEGA CASH SUPER CONSPIRACY RED PILL
say what now?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM       
Heh you're crazy. I like you but you're crazy.
Legislacerator
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:53 PM       
wait what
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:10 PM       
Raising the gas prices has no economic repricussions. None at all. Also raising them unnecessarily high and making record profits rather than just adjusting with the market means nothing. Nothing at all.

Thanks for all of your wonderful input.
say what now?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:13 PM       
Wait I dont understand. Do truckers pay for gas with their income or the companies that that truckers deliever the products for do?
Legislacerator
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:39 PM       
the companies they work for pay for their gas. truckers aren't banking it away from raised gas prices.

kahl, what? who are you talking to?
BANNED

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:42 PM       
Geggy, I think it depends on the company. More than likely some companies who actually hire drivers to work for them might pay for gas, or mileage, while drivers who do more contract oriented work pay it out of their pocket.

Your point is horribly valid, like El Blanco said, "the most highly sought after product in the world". This means tons of people use it for various economical factors- commercially and industrially- and obviously for personal uses, thus a raise on the gas price effects all of those factors in some way.

IS, I wasn't really talking to anyone, I was just being sarcastic.
say what now?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 04:20 PM       
Italian, you're missing the point. I'm not saying the truckers are going to bank away if the price for everything goes up. I'm saying that companies will require to pay more for gas hence it will have some impact on them finacially. The only way and to keep them financially levelled, they will raise the price of the product to be able to afford to pay truckers' income because I doubt the ceo's will want to cut down their profits.

One way to keep the companies to keep themselevs finacially stable is to cut down on overtime and that pisses me off, because it will clog up the highway and it's going to take me even longer to get home by car.
Mocker
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 04:33 PM       
Every single independent trucker pays for his own fuel right out of his own pocket.

Corporate truckers would likely pay for it in layoffs, decreased benefits, or other subtle ways, but they'll pay for it if the customer doesn't.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:38 AM       
How much it costs gas guzzlin' SUV and Penis compensation Trucks is the ONLY silver lining to these prices.

Here's the only thing I've read that makes sense to me in terms of citizen action, besides the obvious measure of conserving as much as you're able to. Boycott Exxon Mobil. Free Market, right? I may have to fill up, but I can choose the station I fill up at. As the biggest pig at the trough, Exxon Mobil sets the bar. They could easily afford to bring their prices down, but what motivation do they have? Lets motivate them. Don't buy their product. Get a price war going. The most important thing to do is not to cave if they drop their prices by a penny or two. I have no idea what sort of popularity the boycott would need to have any impact at all, but it's worth doing.

In addition, and this is me personally, there's profit and there's obscenity. Gas prices affect the whole economy. I'm not expecting corproations and their CEO's to act altruistically, but when the already bloated start shoving ten times as much money up their asses as they already were, it's distatseful. There is just no damn reason to be that rich. I don't care what you do, what long hours you work, how much smarter or ruthless or just plain lucky you are, after your first billion or so you DON'T NEED ANY MORE.
i will let you down
george is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:08 AM       
max, the problem with boycotting any one fuel company is that they sell gas to each other.

if exxon has a day they dont sell any gas to us they will just sell it to bp or texaco. you cant boycott these guys.

as for shortages of refined oil, the towel head in charge of refineries in Qatar said the other day that they have so much gas in storage over there that they may have to shut down refineries because they dont have nowhere to put the stuff.

we are being raped by the oil companies no one is going to do a damned thing about it.
doctorboogie fanclub member #1
@jorgedomingo on twitter.
Mocker
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:12 AM       
one can anyone do about it anyway?

maybe bust up the psuedomonopoly by passing regulations to keep them from acting like one giant company?

anything else?

this is a portion of the energy industry though, and the energy industry rules the world.
i will let you down
george is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 11:55 AM       
there is only one way to stop them, alternate energy.

but ALL alternate energy sources are a joke. why? cause the guys that run the current industry keep it that way.

we are doomed. they will bleed us dry for as long as humanly possible cause NO ONE who could do anything about it will (ie congress). fuel prices will go down pretty quick when we get near the elections in november, then watch them go right back up once the republican majority is maintained.

vote for whatever fag says he'll make it his goal to cornhole oil, and big business in general, he wont, but at least it will be a vote for the best liar.
doctorboogie fanclub member #1
@jorgedomingo on twitter.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 12:37 PM       
ok
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 12:49 PM       
Y'see... THIS thread is a great example of why it's so important for me to finish things. If I had finished that explanation of economy, I wouldn't have to sit down here tonight and answer all these terrible misconceptions... I think the lesson to be learned here is that kahljorn shouldn't be so infuriating to talk to so we can all stay on point and finish our thoughts.

Y'know, I honestly thought that since it took soooo long for someone here to memorialize the "gas scandal" in thread form that you guys were generally looking at this from a level headed perspective. Since that's obviously not the case, I'll try to help you out with that tonight, after work.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
BANNED

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 01:25 PM       
lol i love it when you attack me and end up just getting embarassed in the end. Like in the evolution thread. And the thread before that. And every thread where you try to contradict me but end up getting irritated and pissing your panties and not responding(I'm not even saying I'm always correct, just that you can't handle debate). You only get infuriated because you can't respond to anything I say, which to me indicates a weakness on your part, like you don't think out what you're saying or something.

Respond to my evolution comments. I really want to see you worm out of the fact that I was staying on topic of why evolution should be in a classroom, and you were arguing why evolution isn't a sound theory You have no idea what science is, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't understand anything about politics or economy either. I know jackshit about it, but I understand fluctuations in the market due to increased resource cost. I also understand it's not necessarily going to effect every single thing in the world.
If you're going to make a response quit unnecessarily attacking people(because contrary to popular belief attacking people isn't really responding on topic) and divulge your SECRET INFORMATION. I like it how you key into this thread acting like you know some classified secret information knowledge you hold closs to your benevolent heart you're willing to share with us if only we're good enough.

Also it's not that hard to ignore people, you pussy.

Boycotting one gas thing won't do anything, really. Their prices are on the same level around here. We've only ever bought from BP and everybody I know does the same, so I'm not sure it will have much of an effect, and even if it did we'd be trading 317 a gallon for 311 a gallon. Just not much of a difference there.

P.S. I wasn't the only one talking about this situation in that manner. So get off my cock, I know it's big and all but I don't really like blow jobs, they feel like I'm being tickled. I don't like being tickled. Do you like to tickle cocks? Will you tickle it for a nickle? lol no but seriously you're stupid.

PPS I hope that last comment didn't infuriate you to much.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM       
Preech, can you let me know if you're going to say anything that would talk me out of thinking anyone with more than a Billion dollars should be dragged out of their palace and ground up into pet food?