Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM        What are your hopes/fears for the new democratic congress?
Just curious.

My hope is that they can eliminate the gunshow loophole. I know to many meth addicts and dealers who shouldn't legally own guns but do,or put their guns in their wife's name which is another problem. I'd love to see a crackdown on illegal arms and meth come to think of it but the war on drugs is more a republican thing imo. The gun crackdown would be nice. I think the second amendment should only go to us non-violent criminals and internet pirates.

My fear is bad economy. If things go like the Carter administration interest rates will skyrocket due to inflation and the inevitable (albeit necessary) raise in the minimum wage. This means few new businesses, no cheap mortgages, and little financial security. I hope that raise in the minimum wage is accompanied by tariffs and repealing NAFTA to prevent the obvious shipping of jobs overseas. Or simply make the increase to $7 or less.

what are some of your hopes/fears?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM       
Raises in the minimum wage, gun laws, tariffs, repealing NAFTA, sorting through your response...

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
adept_ninja is probably a spambot
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:21 PM       
I think its funny how alot of people think that all our problems are solved now that the democrats are in the house so to speak. Not saying thats what you think but that seems to be the general feeling for alot of people or maybe thats just near me.

basically the same things as you also with the gun control increasing the exile zone to more states cause that seems to work well.
Unmedicated genius
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by adept_ninja
I think its funny how alot of people think that all our problems are solved now that the democrats are in the house so to speak. Not saying thats what you think but that seems to be the general feeling for alot of people or maybe thats just near me.

basically the same things as you also with the gun control increasing the exile zone to more states cause that seems to work well.
I remember the Clinton administration clearly. I know we aren't getting squat done. but a man can dream.
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM       
I heard minimum wage was supposed to go up to 7.50. But yeah, all I hope for is that at least SOMETHING gets fixed.

j/k fuck them
Grislygus' best friend
Azrael is probably a spambot
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM       
For the Social Securtiy problem to at least not be ingnored anymore.
Unmedicated genius
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM       
$7.50 seems REALLY exorbinent for my region we just raised it $6.50. I think that would be bad for the economy to boost it that much. We need a raise but not HUGE one cause that would hit our economy.

I think the national wage should AT LEAST be $6
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:08 PM       
Minimum wage, Constitutional and cogent gun regulations, ending the Pax Americana movement or maybe revising it into something better that might actually be possible, patched relations with our allies.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:44 PM       
Does raising minimum wage by a dollar really have that big of an effect?
Seriously.
Unmedicated genius
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
Seriously.
I have friends who don't make $6 it's HUGE difference. but $7.50 is kind of binding the hands of midwestern companies where the economy won't support a wage that high.

My local walmart pats 5.25 an hour. It may be poor but it's the prevailing wage. Mark my words if you raise it to $7.50 we WILL lose our jobs and face a new great depression in the midwest where no new businesses will rise and only the lucky will be able to keep and hold a new job.

I say raise it to $6.50 nationawide BUT NO MORE FOR NOW! We can not afford it where I live.
=======

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:33 PM       
Many union contract pay scale deals are based on factors of the federal minimum wage. It goes up a buck, they get a 3, 6 or 9 dollar wage hike. The percentage of Americans actually EARNING the federal minimum wage is STILL less than 1% when you factor in tips and commissions.

This has nothing at all to do with helping minimum wage earners.

Why don't we just vote in a maximum wage and be done with it?

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:09 AM       
Wow, from 5.25 to 7.50? That's a bit ridiculous I didn't mean a difference on the people who are actually holding the jobs, though, i meant a difference on the economy.
So what is the federal minimum wage at right now if people can be paid 5.25 an hour? I th ought it was 6.25?

1 % of a population of a 300 million people is still 3 million people which is alot of people(of course the amount of people actually working is probably less than 300 million :O).

I didn't know union wages were based on the minimum wage. That's kind of dumb.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 01:41 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage the Cowardly Dog
Quote:
Seriously.
I have friends who don't make $6 it's HUGE difference. but $7.50 is kind of binding the hands of midwestern companies where the economy won't support a wage that high.

My local walmart pats 5.25 an hour. It may be poor but it's the prevailing wage. Mark my words if you raise it to $7.50 we WILL lose our jobs and face a new great depression in the midwest where no new businesses will rise and only the lucky will be able to keep and hold a new job.

I say raise it to $6.50 nationawide BUT NO MORE FOR NOW! We can not afford it where I live.
well, what would most likely happen is that wal-mart would raise the prices on their merchandise and other business would follow suit. I'd say the case for a mid-western "new great depression" is a bit overstated.
BANNED

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:07 AM       
Most places have been/are probably in the process of raising prices already...
Unmedicated genius
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype
Quote:
Quote:
Seriously.

well, what would most likely happen is that wal-mart would raise the prices on their merchandise and other business would follow suit. I'd say the case for a mid-western "new great depression" is a bit overstated.
Well first of all IF inflation takes care of it, it will be meaningless to the people getting the raise because the money will be devalued.
BUt that is a best case scenario that would cause Inflation.

BUT there are other side effects. Interest will increase which means small business loans will be impossible and the ability to start new jobs will be dead cause new businesses in my region can not pay that. Even mortgages will be exorbinent because of the interest raise so new home owners will fall off greatly.

Seriously where i live the prevailing wage is starting out at $6. And extra $1.50 per person per hour would cripple us not only locally but in a worldwide market. The increased prices means everyone will get products made in cheaper countries (more so then usual cause "made in america" is gonna cost a LOT more) If you want to raise it that high You have to eliminate Nafta.
=======

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM       
Quote:
...If you want to raise it that high You have to eliminate Nafta.
Wha?

Where the Hell did that come from?

I know there are a lot of midwesterners that take it as a matter of faith that protectionist is the smart way to be, as stupid as that is to think, but it's not a given to everybody else, especially those that understand the first thing about basic economics.

No offense, but that last sentence just ruined your whole comment.