Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:05 PM        DOSbox fun!
so I'm trying to emulate an old computer game, right.

I know that DOSbox is capable of not being a huge piece of shit and actually working, as I can play Tomb Raider and Arena no problem, but when I try to do something off an ISO it never ever ever ever ever works, ever. I also know that other people are able to succeed where I am failing, but they refuse to reveal their secrets leaving me with big old DOS blue balls.

I'm using Daemon tools to try and trick the program into thinking I've got the CD in, etc. etc., right. So anyway, I mount both the virtual CD drive and the folder the game files are going to go in, and then I install it. It refuses to do a full install and insists that a 500 MB game won't fit on a hard drive with upwards of 40 gigabytes of storage space. Smaller install sizes work fine, but now problems arise in the fact that I have to have the CD drive and the folder for the game files mounted at the same time. I'd be ok with that if it worked like it should, but when I select one drive to work with it can't detect the other for whatever reason.

Like, say, I have to go to C:\Daggerfall\DAGGER\DAGGER.EXE to start playing the game. I do that, and even though I've got my F:\ drive with the ISO in it mounted, it can't find it and refuses to let me play. If I just try to play it off the CD, that won't work either, as it doesn't know that I have the game already installed.

This happened with System Shock, too, and after beating the program in the face with various different tricks to get it to regester both drives at the same time, it still wouldn't let me in.

The thing I'm worried about here is that a game I do have a CD for, Tomb Raider, is able to run just fine, although that might not require a CD at all, and you're also able to just play the game directly off the disc. But if I actually do need an actual factual real CD in an actual factual real CD drive I'm basically fucked, since Daggerfall goes for ridiculous amounts of cash and I am not a big boy with a big boy job who can afford those kinds of things.

I guess Arena works because it installs itself automatically when you download it off Bethesda's website. It might just be that it's the floppy disc version, although I fail to see how that'd make anything different. I've got a copy of Alone in the Dark 2 around here somewhere, and that installs off a bunch of floppies so I guess I could see if that works, but again it might just be that DOSbox doesn't like it when you steal games so the result of testing that out could mean nothing :<

So yeah help prz :<

FOR THE THICK IT IS DOING THIS

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Apr 9th, 2008 at 07:04 PM.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM       
Burn it. Work it.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM       
I don't think I have another burner around here, the one I was using suddenly exploded and can't read huge chunks of stuff in the CDs I play on it
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:53 PM       
They're bupkis, buy one cheapee.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM       
I'll try that and get back to you guys I guess
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:13 AM       
srsly, burners cost about $30 for ones that can do dual-layer DVDs.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:50 AM       
And stop fucking playing Elder Scrolls games. It's like a sickness with you.

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:04 AM       
With the exception of Morrowind I actually really like this series :<

If Morrowind hadn't suffered from the shitty dice-roll skill use system it'd be about 20 times more playable and immersive. I mean, it sort of takes me out of the experience when I stealth up behind someone and attempt to brain them with a warhammer, only to miss completely because I hadn't spent 50000 hours leveling my blunt weapon skill.

Even if I wasn't some sort of expert with the goddamn thing you'd think I'd be able to do at least a little damage if I hit them in the back of the head with a gigantic blunt instrument.

Another problem is that you had to do shit to level your skills, which never happens if you can't do anything in the first place. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand if I can't do anything, I can't go out to get money to pay other people to level me, which creates a VICIOUS CYCLE of me staying the same gimpy faggot for ever and ever.

basically Morrowind can go suck a dick while I play superior games like Daggerfall and Oblivion BUT THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE YOU DICKBUTT
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:55 AM       
Normally, a character would have a specialty he is good at and utilize that skill to make moolah. Unless you purposely make your characters mediocre.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:17 AM       
That's what I think every time I restart the game!
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:23 AM       
i've never beaten morrowind without cheating but i did have a lot of fun running around everywhere doing quests!
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:36 AM       
I had fun making ridiculous amounts of enchanted items for everything in Morrowind. I missed that in Oblivion. Yes, I know you could still enchant, but unless it was a wand, which weigh a lot, it would only work as a passiv effect when you're wearing it, and wouldn't let you shoot any fireballs or cool shit like that.

Now, GW, I'm no expert...well, actually I'm a noob, but anyway: why don't you just get a crack?
He speaks truth!
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM       
If you had read my post you'd know the answer to this mystery, retard
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM       
fathippo why don't you get OFF crack
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:15 PM       
im almost certain that i've mounted a virtual drive as a cdrom in dosbox and had that work. did you read the readme :o
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM       
No, that's for nerds.

It'd probably help though since I have no idea how to work DOSbox right ;<
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM       
look at the explanation of the mount command, the -freesize switch might help with your installing problem. the parts in the faq about cdroms not working correctly might help with your other problems.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:31 PM       
I actually tried running Terminal Velocity a few years back off the CD, but no matter what I did, I could not get it to run at a decent framerate. Which pissed me off because I used to run it on my old Pentium 333mhz with Win98 DOS mode just fine. Fucking computers.

125% 3D
Cfr5 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM       
If you haven't heard about it already, use D-Fend with DosBox.

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:06 PM       
man, I couldn't even get it to find the game folder with that thing running

One problem might be that the program is too stupid to go into other folders that you haven't mounted, even if they're inside the directory it's looking at, and the Daggerfall CD has a few folders in it.

But again so does Tomb Raider god fucking damnit why is this happening

It won't even let me install Alone in the Dark

God fucking damnit
OH GOD
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM       
not 100% sure if this has anything to do with anything but how come you're mounting drives as A: and B: when they would normally be c: and d:

maybe daggerfall is designed to disregard those letters since when it came out they were generally only for floppy disks and therefore irrelevant
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM       
I'm not sure if it really matters what drives you mount them to, I've tried "C" and "F" and got the same result.

It also tells me that mounting a drive as C is a really bad idea, and although I don't see what that could do I think it'd probably be best if I avoided it
OH GOD
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:23 PM       
i always do it like that, it causes none difficulty

hey maybe you can send me that .iso /point me to where you got it (after i get off work @ 6) i will try and work out a solution
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM       
http://www.torrentreactor.net/torrents/1036223/Daggerfall-%281-cd%29

there's also the possibility of it being a bad iso, but there it is

I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP SIR
dead end
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM       
i downloaded it from your link because i have trouble turning down a videogame challenge

but it was pretty much like i imagined

mount d [virtualdriveletter]:\ -t cdrom
mount c c:\ -freesize 2000

run the install from the d drive, there was no problem doing a full install

and for playing

mount d [virtualdriveletter]:\ -t cdrom
mount c c:\dagger

switch to c drive and run using the line
fall z.cfg

the mouse didn't lock automatically for some reason, but manual lock using ctrl+f10 worked

you can also copy the patch in the dagger directory and run it through dosbox. i did, i don't know if it's necessary.

the game itself seems alright, but i didn't mess with it for long