Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 02:43 PM        Don Imus and Rutgers Women's basketball
I don't know if this story is that big of a deal outside of NY, but it seems to be getting bigger and bigger. I know Imus was on the Today Show this morning, along with Al Sharpton (?). Anyway, Eugene Robinson had a good piece on it today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040901003.html

Misogyny in the Morning

By Eugene Robinson
Tuesday, April 10, 2007; A17

What would possess nappy-headed radio host Don Imus to think "nappy-headed hos" was an amusing way to describe the Rutgers University women's basketball team? Why would it occur to him to say such a thing even in private conversation, much less to millions of listeners on CBS Radio and the MSNBC cable network?
The simple answer would be -- all together now -- racism. Imus employed that horribly offensive phrase against young black women who are students at a great university and who also happen to be superb athletes. If I had a daughter on that team, I'd want to slap that cowboy hat right off Imus's unkempt head.
At this writing, Imus is in full self-flagellation mode. He made the offending comment last Wednesday. On Thursday, he dismissed the whole thing as unimportant. On Friday, as criticism mounted, he apologized. Yesterday, MSNBC and CBS Radio suspended his show for two weeks. By then, Imus had entered the soul-searching phase, apologizing again and telling listeners, "I'm not a bad person. I'm a good person, but I said a bad thing. But these young women deserve to know it was not said with malice."
I can accept that Imus doesn't believe he is racist, but "nappy-headed hos" had to come from somewhere. Jobs have been lost and careers ruined for similar rhetorical offenses. The Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have called for Imus to resign or be fired, as have officials from the NAACP and the National Association of Black Journalists. I'd shed no tears if Imus were compelled to retire to his ranch, where he could sit at a microphone every morning and regale the livestock with late-breaking opinions.
But I'd rather lock him in a room with the parents of those Rutgers kids and let him try to explain himself. I'm not sure that kicking him off the air would accomplish much of anything, since there would still be plenty of morning radio jocks spewing racism, misogyny and other forms of cruelty for the amusement of gridlock-bound commuters. Howard Stern, another radio superstar who has expanded into television, recently held a degrading "Miss Black Howard Stern" contest.
Drive-time radio has become a free-fire zone, a forum for crude and objectionable speech that would be out of bounds anywhere else. There's an intimacy about radio. The medium creates the illusion of privacy -- it's just the jock and his or her entourage speaking to you, the listener, alone in your car where nobody else can hear.
Maybe, in your heart of hearts, you think some of those stereotypes are true -- about black people, or white people, or Latinos or Asians. Somewhere on the radio dial you'll find some jock who not only agrees but is willing to say so out loud, willing to ridicule those "others" and thus cut them down to size. You can have all your prejudices confirmed on your way to work. It's almost like putting on a suit of psychological armor.
If anything, Imus is more substantive and less offensive than many of his competitors. In a sense, that's one reason for his current predicament. Prominent politicians and other notables regularly call in to his show, and sometimes actual news is made -- which brings him greater scrutiny. You can be a shock jock or you can be a respected interviewer, but you can't be both.
One question remains, though: Why would Imus think to use the word "ho" to describe those young women from Rutgers -- or, for that matter, to describe any women?
The word is an abbreviation of "whore" that was introduced to the popular lexicon by hip-hop music and that appears to have become firmly established. We know what the word used to mean, but it's not so clear just what it means now.
Rappers use it as basically a synonym for "woman," but their lyrics are so focused on sex that the word retains the connotation of loose morals. The word is often used these days in contexts where that sexual connotation is ignored. It's still there, though.
It's easy to surmise that Imus came out with the word "ho" because hip-hop is an African American art form and he associated the word with black women. He knew nothing about those women from Rutgers, except that they were black. It's hard to imagine him describing, say, a Swedish basketball team as a bunch of "stringy-haired hos."
That's something for Imus to think about as he performs the ritual public examination of his soul -- and fights to keep his job. Meanwhile, the rest of us should banish that hateful word "ho" from the language.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM       
No, it's a national story.

Honestly, I don't get it.

I mean, I think Imus is a bag of crap and not even remotely funny, and that opinion predates this brou ha ha by more than a decade.

I also think what he said sucks and is a sign he's a bag of crap.

But I don't think it's as serious as either Michael Richards tirade or Mel Gibsons anti jew drunk shouting, both of which seem to me evidence of deep seated racism. AND I think both those events were taken way to seriously. Imus said his horrible shit in the context of desribing how tough the team was. Richards and Gibson said what they said cuase they were angry and drunk.

I particularly don't think he needs to apologize to Al Sharpton, who never felt the need to apologize for being totally wrong about Tawana Brawely.

The proper response is for people who feel offended to make a public statement that Imus is a stupid fuck and what do you expect from a washed up bag of crap like that? If they are really pissed off, they could stop buying stuff sold by folks what advertise on his show.

Beyond that, let it go. People in America can say what they want to say, even if it's hateful, ignorant crap. And if you want to say that he shouldn't be allowed to keep his job 'cause he's pig, get ready for everybody and their brother attacking gangster rappers and southern preachers and all kinds of comedians, not to mention the whole ugly debate of wether it's okay for Dave Chapelle to use the 'n' word and who gets to call who a 'ho' until we can have ourselves a national free for all about keeping our mouths shut.

The cost of the first ammendment is that dumb ass people get to say dumb ass things. parody, ridicule, satire and good old fashioned ignoring are more powerful than outrage when it comes to slurs.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:32 PM       
Now, today I heard Jesse say he also, in the same show, compared Venus and Serena Williams to apes... or at least say they belonged in a zoo or something... Did anybody else hear this?

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:48 PM       
Yeah, I think he did say it. If not him, it was probably one of his producers, Bernard. bernard is sort of the problem...he drags Imus into a lot of this stuff.

I like his show, and I actually like Don Imus. He does a lot of work towards Autism research, and he's a very charitable guy. I think he deserves the hit he's taking now, and his team needs to figure out where the line between funny and cruel is at.

Sharpton has no place in this debate, I agree.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM       
Wow, Imus and women's basketball. When was the last time either of those mattered?

Imus owes the women an appology for his really cruel remarks. But thats it. Thats as far as it goes. They have every right to accept it or reject it, but the rest of this is rediculous.

Rev Al has no place in it. Matt Lauer has no place in it. Jim Corizine has no place in it.

One of those women told a reporter this has scarred her for life. Sweetheart, your life has been way too easy if thats true.

And it was Sid Rosenberg that compared the Wiliams sisters to apes. He is horrifically unfunny and fails miserably when he tries to make a joke.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:15 PM       
lol how can you be scarred for life for a like days after it happened unless you lost an appendage stupid nappy ass ho
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:32 AM       
Now it's a presidential issue, because Obama didn't condemn it soon enough or harshly enough, which he' required to do, because he's black.

I wish Obama had come out and said "While I think it was ugly, as a presidential candidate I have many, many more pressing issues I devote my time to. You want to talk race in America, okay. You want to talk about Don Imus's racist remark? I think that's a waste of time."

This has been a top story for days now. It's beyond absurd, and the people most upset about have mountains of more serious issues this is taking energy from. Imus is a symptom, not a disease. You don't fight AIDS by spending days on end focusing on painful cancor sores.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:08 PM       
i read his apology thing and it made me sick i wish they'd just say they said it and don't really care all that much. I know their job and reputation is at stake but it just seems like such a cop out to try to beg your way back into the hearts of cunt americans who aren't going to accept you and probably just get more ferocius anyways once they "See blood".

"Some people don't deserve to be insulted for jokes as part as my program"
Mocker
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:25 AM       
Obama simply proves he's just another politician.

He canceled his appearance on Imus' show. Which he has appeared on before. If Obama really was offended over these remarks, he would have never gone on the show in the first place. This is not anything new. We've already pointed out how Imus has been in trouble over this sort of thing before.

And MSNBC has canceled Imus telecast. Hours before his telethon to raise money for cancer striken children. But, they are still pimping his name. They are soliciting viewers to call in and discuss it on air. And Oberman is dedicating his show to bashing Imus. All this after their cunt drip of a boss babbled on about the integrity of the station.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:46 AM       
The one aspect of this I'm fine with is sponsors dropping him. Not that I think they should (actually, what I think is they should never have sponsored him to begin with on account of him having always been a racist jerk and not funny) but that's just the market at work. I think boycotts are fine, I think sponsors have a right to say who they want to associatte their brand with.

I think this is all nuts, but I also think it suits just about everybody with money or power to have a nice circus to focus on instead of anything that might actually be hard to deal with. This could be even more important than knowing which guy is Anna Nocle's babies fater, which I think we do now.
Mocker
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco View Post
Obama simply proves he's just another politician.

He canceled his appearance on Imus' show. Which he has appeared on before. If Obama really was offended over these remarks, he would have never gone on the show in the first place. This is not anything new. We've already pointed out how Imus has been in trouble over this sort of thing before.
Not like this. The thing that has always made Imus funny but topical is that he often went after people who were seemingly "deserving" of his assaults. This of course hasn't always been the case, but there's a HUGE difference between, for example, Tawana Brawley and the Rutgers Women's basketball team. I've listened to him a lot the past few days, and I think he has been very sincere on this whole matter. I think he means it when he admits that not everyone should be fair game, and just because you have the free speech to say it, it doesn't make it right.

As for obama...well duh! Dodd announced his damn candidacy on the show, and he won't be back for a while. McCain and Edwards all "forgive" him, but let's see how quickly they go back on the show. Go figure, Obama is a black man who wants black people to vote for him. The black community DOES have a genuine gripe here, no matter how much that agitates some people. Just because Al Sharpton saw a parade and jumped in front doesn't make it a non-issue.

Quote:
And MSNBC has canceled Imus telecast. Hours before his telethon to raise money for cancer striken children. But, they are still pimping his name. They are soliciting viewers to call in and discuss it on air. And Oberman is dedicating his show to bashing Imus. All this after their cunt drip of a boss babbled on about the integrity of the station.
And Imus has no one to blame but himself. He exercised his free speech, and risked his own financial arrangements in the process. God bless America. Max is right, once it became a financial liability to keep Imus, they had little choice. He has done the telethon for many years, MSNBC has only been around a for a handful. He'll do ok, although it is unfortunate.

And Oberman and company have every right to be all over this. Everybody else is, why shouldn't they be? Oberman and his producer didn't hire Imus. MSNBC gets no ratings, so they need to talk about it. I'm actually listening to Mike and the Mad Dog right now, and I agree with them that MSNBC has shown no class throughout this whole thing...but what should MSNBC with no ratings do, talk about Iraq?
BANNED

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:33 PM       
yea, i saw that obama thing and i thought it was kind of annoying as well

what's with america lately and trying to trounce any racial speech? It's kind of ridiculous, but whatever. I just don't get how people suddenly become the center of these things. You know there's tons of people out there being racist/sexist/whatever right now on the air but nobody is blowing up at them. I understand the people in question might not have deserved this, but very few people, if any, deserve to be racially/sexually insulted, anyway.
Mocker
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM       
Imus' words reach millions a day, that's what makes his words more significant than the racist who lives down the street.
Mocker
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM       
Quote:
Not like this. The thing that has always made Imus funny but topical is that he often went after people who were seemingly "deserving" of his assaults. This of course hasn't always been the case, but there's a HUGE difference between, for example, Tawana Brawley and the Rutgers Women's basketball team. I've listened to him a lot the past few days, and I think he has been very sincere on this whole matter. I think he means it when he admits that not everyone should be fair game, and just because you have the free speech to say it, it doesn't make it right.
So, it was not a big deal when Rosenberg compared the Williams sisters to gorillas?

And my issue with MSNBC isn't that they fired him or that they are reporting it. Its that they are still pimping him out after that whole sob fest speech the news director gave.

Yes, if he is going to cost MSNBC more than he will bring in, they should cut him loose. But call it a financial desiscion. Don't say it was some kind of moral one. That press conference was total bullshit.

And, yes, they pretend to be a news network, so they should report it. But, don't hold a special during his timeslot the day you canceled his show to field calls about it.
BANNED

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:02 PM       
i wasn't talking about racists who live by me, i was talking about other racists/sexist/jerks who broadcast on the air and are in magazines and newspapers who people dont make big deals over
i think at some point people re just going to have to shut the fuck up about stuff like this because it serves no good purpose to label someone a racist who's not really a racist.
Mocker
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco View Post
So, it was not a big deal when Rosenberg compared the Williams sisters to gorillas?
Um, and Sid ultimately got shit canned for his comments about Kylie minogue, along with his drug problems. But whenever Sid said those things, EVERYBODY would attack him for it. Imus, Bernard, Charles...they all played straight man to Sid's controversial character. It wasn't Don himself, the namesake of the show, saying these things.

Quote:
And my issue with MSNBC isn't that they fired him or that they are reporting it. Its that they are still pimping him out after that whole sob fest speech the news director gave.
But MSNBC is the scandal network. They know that virtually no one takes them seriously, so they can't do all serious news like CNN, or even FOX. It would be weird if MSNBC DIDN'T talk about the Imus scandal.
Mocker
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM       
SO the Imus in the Morning Show is no more (unless he goes to Sirius or whatever they're called now). CBS just fired him.
BANNED

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 07:21 PM       
yea i saw this on netscape and they have pictures of him in a cowboy hat and it reminds me of those bronzed statue guys
Mocker
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 07:37 PM       
Jeez, they couldn't wait one more day? He would have started his suspension Monday. Was appeasing a bunch of under employed loud mouths so important, that CBS just had to pull the plug on a fund raiser for cancer treatment?

Quote:
Meanwhile the Rutgers women's basketball team appeared Thursday on the Oprah Winfrey show to discuss the controversy. "Not only did he steal our dreams, he hurt our character of Rutgers University, our state, and all who have been associated," Rutgers Head Coach C. Vivian Stringer said on the show.
I do have sympathy for the team, but its waning. Statements like this are why.

How exactly has he prevented these women from throwing a ball at a hoop? Or not winning the championship game?

How does it affect RU?

How the hell does it affect New Jersey?

What he said was awful and he should apologize in person to those women. Depending on how you feel about language over the airwaves, he may have even deserved to be fired. But the whole thing is being handled wrong by everyone.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:02 PM       
Fuck these nappy headed black hoes.
BANNED

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM       
black assed stump jumpin niggas

we misinterpreted that from morgan freeman in glory
Mocker
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM       
So Mike and the Mad Dog will be filling in for him the next two weeks...good times.
BANNED

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM       
so do you guys think he should've been fired? i dont.

On a similar note did you guys know Micheal Richards is being sued for "Emotional Damages?"
This shit's ridiculous.
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM       
Why does anyone care what a shock jock says? Some of the offended black people have said MUCH more racist things and they are politicians and "reverends"

When did we become so afraid of racism we can't call a sports player a Ho? I call Paris Hilton and Britney Spears Hos all the time.

SANJAYA IS A NAPPY HAIRED HO!

Michael Richards lost his career and all hope of a comeback. Seems just enough to me.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 07:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore View Post
Imus' words reach millions a day, that's what makes his words more significant than the racist who lives down the street.
Wrong, if Al Sharpton didn't get involved it wouldn't of mattered if his show reached billions. Without that man this would never of became a national story.