Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:52 AM        ***BAD NEWS FOR LIBS***
Sorry max....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nat...tion-headlines

Key swing states leaning toward Bush

By Ronald Brownstein and Kathleen Hennessey
Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
Posted August 27 2004, 7:56 AM EDT

President Bush is leading Sen. John F. Kerry in three hotly contested Midwestern states, despite continued doubts about the country's direction and the administration's policy choices, new Times polls have found.

Bush has opened small leads -- within the surveys' margin of error -- in Ohio and Wisconsin, states where the presidential race was closer in Times polls taken in June. The new Times survey also finds Bush ahead in Missouri, though by a narrower margin than in June.

The three states, with a combined 41 electoral votes, are among those both sides view as critical to the outcome of the race.

In Missouri, Bush leads among registered voters, 46% to 44%; in Wisconsin, he leads 48% to 44%; in Ohio, the president holds a 49%-to-44% advantage, the surveys found.

Like a nationwide Times poll released Wednesday that showed Bush ahead, 49% to 46%, the state surveys underscore Kerry's difficulty in converting a general desire for change into support for his candidacy.

Kerry trails in the three states even though a majority of voters in each says the country is not better off because of Bush's policies and "needs to move in a new direction."

Bush draws support from virtually all voters who support his policy direction; by contrast, Kerry attracts about four-fifths or fewer of voters who want a new course.

Barb Chiamulera, a special-education teacher from Florence, Wis., who responded to the poll, said she remained torn between disappointment in Bush and uncertainty about Kerry.

"It seems like we're kind of at a dead end," she said of Bush's presidency.

"But I just feel I don't know Kerry's philosophy as well as I should. I still don't really feel like he's come up with any definite plan for what he would do and how he would change things."

The Times Poll, supervised by polling director Susan Pinkus, contacted 507 registered voters in Ohio, 580 in Missouri and 512 in Wisconsin, from Saturday through Tuesday. It has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4 percentage points for each state.

Wisconsin, which Democrat Al Gore carried by less than one-half of a percentage point in 2000, ranks among the top targets for Bush's campaign. Missouri and Ohio, both of which Bush won by less than 4 percentage points four years ago, are two key targets for Kerry.

The three states have attracted large amounts of the advertising dollars spent by the two candidates and independent groups supporting them.

Times polls in June showed Kerry and Bush tied in Wisconsin, Kerry holding a statistically insignificant 1-point advantage in Ohio and the president leading in Missouri, 48% to 42%. The new results show that the race has tightened in Missouri, while Bush has improved his position in Wisconsin and Ohio.

Wisconsin and Ohio were two of the three states where a group of anti-Kerry Vietnam veterans ran an ad accusing him of lying about his military record in that war. (The commercial also aired in West Virginia.) The ad also was frequently broadcast nationally by cable network news shows.

In Ohio, 58% of voters said they had seen the ad, in Wisconsin, 56%, and in Missouri, 47%. In the national poll, the figure was 48%.

As in the national poll, a majority of voters in each state survey rejected the charges that Kerry misrepresented his record.

Those allegations, made by the group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, have been challenged by a succession of witness accounts and official documents that mostly confirm Kerry's version of events.

Doug Redd, a union carpenter from Portsmith, Ohio, who voted for Bush in 2000 but now backed Kerry, said of the Democrat: "He went and he fought for us, and that's all that matters."

In a reference to the dispute between Kerry and the veterans group opposing him over whether he deserved all of the five medals he was awarded in Vietnam, Redd said, "I don't care if he got that Purple Heart when he tripped over a branch. He fought for us."

Kerry leads in all three states among voters who have seen the ad. Bush holds big leads among those who have heard about but not seen the ad -- a finding that probably reflects the right-leaning audience for talk radio hosts highlighting the controversy. Bush also leads in the three states among those unaware of the dispute.

Kerry may face somewhat more risk from the Swift boat group's second ad, which criticizes antiwar Senate testimony he delivered in 1971, after returning from Vietnam. That ad has aired only in Nevada, New Mexico and Pennsylvania, but the percentage of voters aware of it is nearly as high in Ohio, Missouri and Wisconsin as for the first commercial.

One finding in the state polls suggests negative reverberations for Kerry from the ad.

In the national poll, 48% of voters said Kerry's combat service "demonstrated qualities America needs in a president," while 37% said his protests upon returning "demonstrated a judgment and belief that was inappropriate in a president." Thus, voters nationally tilted toward Kerry on those questions by 11 percentage points.

But in Ohio, the margin favoring Kerry was 7 percentage points, and in Missouri it was 6. In Wisconsin, by a 2-percentage-point margin, more said Kerry showed inappropriate judgment with his anti-Vietnam War protests than said he had demonstrated the right qualities for a president.

Beyond these shadows over Kerry, Bush is being buoyed by improved ratings on several fronts. For instance, since June, approval for his handling of the conflict in Iraq has edged up in all three states.

Voters in the states picked Bush over Kerry when asked which man was most likely to develop a plan to succeed in Iraq and who would be more qualified to serve as commander in chief. They also gave Bush a big lead when asked which candidate would best protect the nation from terrorism.

"As for his No. 1 duty to protect citizens, I feel he's doing everything in his power to do that," said Tom Kelly, an equipment operator in Cudahy, Wis.

Bush's overall approval rating increased slightly since June in Missouri, to 52%; and in Wisconsin, to 54%. But in Ohio, his approval rating remained at 47%, with 50% disapproving of his performance.

That's a potential problem for Bush in Ohio. And other warning signs for him flicker through the state surveys.

In Missouri and Wisconsin, slightly more voters disapprove than approve of his handling of the economy. In Ohio, which has lost 230,000 jobs since he took office, 52% disapprove of his economic record.

"Our jobs are going overseas faster and faster, and he doesn't even care," said Redd, the carpenter from Portsmith.

In all three states, more voters say the country is moving on the wrong track than in the right direction.

Voters in Missouri and Wisconsin are somewhat more optimistic than voters nationally about the country's direction, but in Ohio, voters are more pessimistic. Just 39% there say the country is on the right track, compared with 54% who think it is moving in the wrong direction; nationally the numbers were 40% and 52%, respectively.

In all three states, Kerry led Bush when voters were asked which man had better ideas for strengthening the economy. In Wisconsin and Ohio, Kerry's lead on that question stretches to double digits. In each state, Kerry fights Bush to a draw on honesty and strength of leadership.

One other result spotlights the challenge for Bush -- and the opportunity for Kerry.

In each of the three states, fewer than 40% of voters agree that "the country is better off because of" Bush's policies. A majority in each -- 55% in Ohio, 53% in Missouri and 52% in Wisconsin -- say "the country is not better off and needs to move in a new direction."

Still, Bush's overall lead in all three states is explained in part by the almost unanimous support he gets from those who say his policies have left the country better off. In each state, he wins at least 96% of those voters.

But among those who want a new direction, Kerry wins 81% in Missouri, 77% in Wisconsin and 75% in Ohio. The rest are either supporting Bush or undecided.

Those figures provide fodder for Democrats who think the challenge for Kerry is harvesting more of the voters open to change -- a process strategists call "closing the change gap."

Norma Benedict, a tax advisor in Kansas City, Mo., typifies the sort of voter Kerry probably must convert to win. Though she usually supports Democrats, she voted for Bush in 2000. Now, she's worried about the cost of prescription drugs, funding for schools and the war in Iraq.

"Maybe we need some new blood," she says. Still, she's leaning toward Bush again. "I guess I should study more about Kerry," she says. "But I just don't like him."

Copyright © 2004, The Los Angeles Times
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:57 AM       
Again, lacking a point.

I thought you said polls were crap.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:00 AM       
Polls are crap, I just hope this makes a bunch of people realise how misguided voting for anyone but Bush is.

(I'm serious, I want Bush elected.)

Edit: I just home... WTF?
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:05 AM       
you really hate america dont you

as much as i despise bush, i think bush is better off winning the election. wouldnt want to dump shit onto kerry and leaving him responsible for all the mess bush had already made. its only going to make matter much much worse.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 11:23 AM       
I said this is bad news for liberals......not good news for me.

I don't believe polls all the time but since liberals base all their policies upon polling data it only makes sense that this is bad news for liberals...

FS is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:43 PM       
Nice save.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:36 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggy
you really hate america dont you

as much as i despise bush, i think bush is better off winning the election. wouldnt want to dump shit onto kerry and leaving him responsible for all the mess bush had already made. its only going to make matter much much worse.
See, there is some logic to that theory, but I think it doesn't hold water. See, it would only work if Bush were ABLE to dig us out of the huge pile of shit that he himself excreted. But since he isn't able to do anything about it (because he is an incompetent leader), him winning the next election will only dig us deeper.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 03:57 PM       
** RONNIE STILL POSTING IN CAPS **

sorry max.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:40 PM       
He won't win Wisconsin. And Missouri? Surprise, Surprise! Did Oregon and new Jersey, once "competitive states," get this sort of press on the drudge report?

Once again, you're a sad little man, Ronnie.
Mocker
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
I don't believe polls all the time but since liberals base all their policies upon polling data it only makes sense that this is bad news for liberals...
Who does this? Name them.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 05:38 PM       
Doesn't every politician do that?
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:30 AM       
I agree totaly. All politicians are Liberals.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 09:38 AM       
What does the term "liberal" mean anyway?

FS is probably a spambot
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 11:45 AM       
Someone who's wrong
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 12:32 PM       
Dictionary definitions -

Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.

Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

- I don't think that there are too many politicians who are labeled "liberals" that fall under those categories.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 12:42 PM       
Thats because Weakness is Strength :1984
Mocker
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Doesn't every politician do that?
I think that's the ultimate point, yes, but i want Ronnie to name names, since he seems so sure that only liberals do this, and apparently quite blatantly.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 10:43 AM       
What do you call an angry Democrat?

A mad lib!
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:32 PM       
Jeez, Naldo. Been a while. Maybe because it's been months since there was anythin g to post here that could have been even construed as being 'bad news' for 'libs'.

I'm not really interested by that take in any case. I think it would be 'good news' for 'america' and 'everyone else on the planet' if W looses the election.

It's been a statistical dead heat for months. I'm pretty much inclined to predict a very close race, a lot of dirty tricks, no clear result and a decision by the supreme court, which is probably 'good news' for 'W', 'oil companies', 'military contractors', 'really rich people', the 'world mortuatry industry' and 'boneheads'.

Say, Nalds, were you ever elligable for overtime, or just until recently?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:36 PM       
[quote="mburbank"] 'really rich people', and 'boneheads'.[quote]

Like John Kerry! It's a win-win!!

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 02:51 PM       
Sure, for him, but what about me?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:21 PM       
IT'S ALWAYS GOTTA BE ABOUT YOU, DON'T IT?!

Why can't you FOR ONCE just think about the politicians, Max?! All those years they spent suffering, out in the cold, being forced to work part-time for next to nothing, trying to represent our country to France wearing nothing but rags, virtually outcast from society if not exactly guaranteed invitations to the best parties... Is it too much to ask for to cut them a little slack now?

I mean, what kind of society do we live in when a choice to serve your fellow man as a CIVIL SERVANT gets you branded as a scumbag and leaves you open to whatever barbs some librarian on the internet wants to throw at you? Do you think George Bush learned to fly those planes for fun? I bet you'll still be laughing on the day some super-enemy invades our country and for some reason it all comes down to who knows how to fly a plane that was decomissioned back in the 60's (because all our modern planes were tore up or something... use your imagination) and the only person raising their hand is DUBYA. He'll be there to save all our asses and you'll still be cracking wise on him, won't you?

Or Kerry. Have you ever spent four months doing something? Well, HE has. It wasn't just something stupid, either... It was VIETNAM, man. Sure, everybody else went for over a year, but even if he didn't have enough time to grow one of those uber-kewl jihad beards he sure as Hell risked his life to save yours! Come off the hip a little, dude! Max Cleland doesn't have any LEGS, for Chrissakes! And John Edwards... Well, he's kinda sucky... but he's bet his whole political career on this election. Have YOU ever bet YOUR career on anything?! Your Tax Money is the only thing keeping Dick Cheney ALIVE, Max. He's so damn old, if he had to quit now he wouldn't last a month.

Dammit, this is AMERICA, and we're supposed to be above your kind of political racism. After everything these folks have had to endure, we BY GOD owe them a little something, don't you think? Call it reparations, but say it with a little reverence and respect. If it wasn't for great men like George W Bush and John F Kerry, we'd all be... Umm... something bad. REALLY bad!

Now, send them some money.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 10:22 AM       
That was pretty funny. Have you ever heard Bill Mahrs thing about how having sex with Monica Lewinsky was a great sacarfice that Clinton made for the country ?