Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:30 PM        new nin album - 05/03/05
http://www.nin.com/current/index.html

Click the little box icon and you'll get to see a short promo trailer for it that has some of the music. Sound really cool. I hate how long they take to put out albums, but they always sound incredible so I'm extremely excited to hear this latest project. Their live shows were nothing short of incredible spectacles either. :o

huzzah!
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:31 PM       
american music of which I can't understand the appeal at all
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:19 PM       
dammit, rog, get with it... this was announced eons ago, we're already looking at leaks of poor quality strewn about cyberspace.

a friend of mine bought two tickets to go see him in davis so i guess i'm going too.

he's a terrible lyricist ("WHY! CRY! LIE! DIE!" ), and his whole "i either hurt myself or im fucked up" thing isnt terribly appealing either, but it should still be fun.

felix_tibs is probably a spambot
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:34 PM       
they are headlining cochella so you know i iwll be there to pick up on desperate goth chicks. Its always a toss up with NIN though, sometimes it takes me a long time to come around to appreiate the music. Broken for example took a bit, but Downward Spiral was instant.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:42 AM       
nine inch nails songs are either hit or miss. i liked pretty hate machine the most.
Bod is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:20 PM       
I'll be going to see NIN in July - hoping the albums good
emujunkies is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 02:58 PM       
Yea, pretty hate machine was for me the best one too.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 05:20 PM       
The new single is so fucking terrible it hurts ;_;
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:55 PM       
I was a fan of NIN waaaay back... but it should have seriously stopped after TDS. Reznor's 'poor me' anthems and high school lyrics are just lame, but this new cock rock shit of his is even more embarassing.
Hay Ladiez! Howzit going?
BlueOatmeal is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:10 AM       
What a shitty website

CALL ME! CALLL MEEE! WHY DON'T YOU CALL THIS NUMBER NOW!678-416-3492 How about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
What the fuck are you talking about? He loves da ladiez.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:11 PM       
the fragile was excellent damnit

but yeah trent writes like a fucking tool
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:44 PM       
i just got my mitts on it. on the second track so far. i've been pretty hyped up for it since the live show and it's not disappointing so far...

save the lyrics, but everyone knows it's a lost cause anyway, so as long as it doesnt get in the way it's not so bad, right?.

11 tracks to go, .

felix_tibs is probably a spambot
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:26 PM       
I cant for the new album...Fuck Ticketmaster and those presale bastards who bought EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TICKET!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:37 PM       
A-WITH-A TEEF-AAAAHHH!

funny to name the CD after one of the crappiest songs on the album, but the whole generally isnt bad.

5 really standout tracks, about 3 of them suck, and the rest is good. 7/10

and now i get back to my autechre.
Mocker

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:57 PM       
WATCH THE GRAF MUTATE

I just saw this NIN videoclip. So bad.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:58 PM       
So far i've only heard Hand That Feeds, which is absolutely the most mediocre piece of fluff I've ever heard by Reznor.
Mocker

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:59 PM       
yeah that was the video clip. What, didn't he bother to write a song there so he just got a rythm section play for 5 minutes while he sang crap over it?
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 03:47 PM       
track by track. note that this comes from a casual NIN fan. that means someone who is cognizant enough to recognize what's expected and how good it can be and enjoys the music in the right place (i.e.: not during a birthday party when we're with friends we havent seen in awhile and trading stories, richard, you jerk), but doesnt have the same "favorite songs" devout fans have, nor enjoys this "i'm crazy in da head" mentality that runs throughout each and every fucking album.

it also means a lot of "personally" and "i think" because i know there are songs i like that expectant and hungry nin fans may detest.

so. onward.

all the love in the world - good title for a song which doesnt say what songs called that usually imply. minimal but engaging, builds up and plays ut excellently. continues the streak of fanastic openers, no matter what the album.

you know what you are - best track. so fucking memorable live that i was taken back to it. it a bit like candy though, there's enough yelling and genuine anger to get into it, but you dont know how good or bad it is until 3 months later when you may or may not realize that it's pretty laughable (star fuckers inc. anyone?)

the collector - also done live. but i remember that i took this time to think about how the new material was generally unexciting. because this song sucks. it's not atrocious, but just persistently dull

the hand that feeds - what helm said. the wierd thing about this song is that it fails because it doesnt develop, but at the same time i like it when it ends. the early ending just says there were pactically no ideas for this one because there was a lot of room for improvement.

love is not enough - decent. forgettable.

every day is exactly the same - love this one. if trent refuses to change what he's talking about, he can at least provide music that doesnt scream "ISNT THIS GUY FUCKED UP?". as a NIN track, it's a bit of a failure coz it sounds like a really good track from Garbage, but personally it's a keeper.

with teeth - i like the beginning
trent likes different rhythms to his music, which is cool, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. this one's beats hop and skip until all momentum halts and it meanders. and when it ends you realize 5 and a half minutes passed.

only - ok. the beginning sounds like Fischerspooner, but stick with it. it's not great, but it'll be underrated. i think it's really good. it's the track that says what the changes in this album are, and whether you're going to humor it or whine about how the downward spiral was so much better.

getting smaller - this is a rip off of something, but i can't place it right now. also a track to see if you'll be curious or make a . i find it fun to listen to. decent chorus and he goes "FLIP FLOP! FLIP FLOP! FLIP FLOP!" which is like the best thing on album.

sunspots - real good, personally. you'd like it too, depending on what standards you go by. as just a song, it gradually gets better as it keeps going, as a NIN song, you're gonna ask what happened.

the line begins to blur - close second to 'you know what you are.' i didnt think so much of this for awhile and then it just sorta clicked. trent sounds 30 feet away from the mic, theres enough static, theres enough movement in the drums, there's enough reverb w/ the guitar, and the songs reaches out just enough to make a really great NIN song without being overblown.

beside you in time - two great songs in a row! it's the subdued stage of trent now, the same stage that made 'la mer' and other such fluff that was really hit and miss but was admirable anyway. this one's a hit. it's low key, but the pace is fast, and the growing hum of these guitars increase ever so slightly that it creates this good tension that is ever so slowly relased throughout the rest of the song. totally beautiful.

right where it belongs - the lesser brother of the one before it. decent. has some good qualities about it, but just becomes a non-entity after awhile. it'd be excellent live though.
Mocker

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:57 PM       
you know what I'm going to do now, I'm going to download this album, and listen to it very carefully. I'm curious to see if I'll find any of the things you said in these songs, especially the 'good' points, since I've yet to listen to a song by NIN that stayed with me for more than one second after it was over.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:04 PM       
ah shit.. i'm being scrutinized.

this whole album isnt going to stay with me more than 2 weeks, because there are better, more engaging, and more interesting albums out right now that i have,

but as far as a straight sit-down with a nin record, what's above is what i got out of it.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
you know what I'm going to do now, I'm going to download this album, and listen to it very carefully. I'm curious to see if I'll find any of the things you said in these songs, especially the 'good' points, since I've yet to listen to a song by NIN that stayed with me for more than one second after it was over.
Have you listened to all of The Fragile? Aside from a track or two (ie: Starfuckers), that album blew me away. The production on it is phenomenal too...
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:49 PM       
condensed into about 60 minutes, yeah, it's an amazing album... but man... filler-rama-jamma.

if the rest didnt suck it was just tedious.
good memories though.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:08 AM       
you know what time it is? it's time for... mini posts!

all the love in the world - actually pretty decent. Liked the juxtaposition between piano and the gated beats. Don't like it when it goes charleston at the end, but hey, at least, progression, crescendo, ending! Good job, mister trent. Don't like your voice but I guess that's that.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:10 AM       
You know what you are - well orchestrated, methodically fuzzy, devoid of any real feeling, formulaic. It's a miracle that when it's so transparent that there's not a single real emotion behind it, it's still interesting to listen to. The quiet middle part is great. The constant drumbeat is nice to listen to. I don't like the guy's voice, and I like it even less when he's 'screaming'. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when singers scream, you can tell on the spot if it's rehearsed, calculated and without feeling. This is it.
Mocker

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:14 AM       
the collector - this song makes it really apparent that you can't rely on trent's voice to carry the burden of the main melody. There's an interesting 'tool-ish' guitar riff behind it all, though. In fact, it's directly lifted from a song on lateralus I think. If this is supposed to 'rock', it's not rocking at all. It's not bad, though. I dig the atonal keyboard bit in the middle. More ideas than I expected.