Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM        Age of Conan (MMO)
Chojin and I just picked this up at our local Best Buy. It's been getting really good reviews from a lot of different places, so we thought we'd try it out. It takes FOREVER to install, but we'll give you some updates later!
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:26 PM       
I heard the servers collapsed for some amount of time the day the game was released. Have they fixed that yet?

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM       
So wait, they've taken the fantasy genre and made an MMO out of it? Unheard-of!
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:13 PM       
Females can take their tops off and have nipples.

and Boogie? I don't know. It's still installing.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM       
just wait until I make a hilarious joke about late night talk show hosts!
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM       
yawn. wrath of the lich king alpha!
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:36 PM       
My brothers been telling me about how you control all movements of you arm in a sword swing while on a horse and so on. Fuck that.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:02 AM       
So far the game is pretty fun. It's a very BETA game, though - tons of really strange graphic bugs and stuff that - while it doesn't kill the game - really smacks of rush-to-release. Then again, that's so enormously typical of any MMO released ever.

The best way to describe the game so far is a combination of Guild Wars and traditional MMOs - there are multiple instances of towns and areas, but unlike Guild Wars, leaving town doesn't leave you cold and alone. In the newbie zone, you can choose to work at 'day' or 'night', and the latter will let you travel around all alone with easier enemies.

Quests so far are your typical MMO choreboy bullshit - find X item here, kill 20 of enemy Z, etc. I still am on newbie island, though, and will continue to be marooned here until level 20. There's a level cap at 80, and after maybe 6 hours of playing, I'm level 13 or so. Combat for warriors is pretty satisfying after you wrap your head around what's really going on - until then it seems a little too crazy to understand what's happening on screen. Instant-kill moves are fucking wicked. Dual-wielding different weapons is cool as shit, too, and when you attack left you use the right weapon and vice-versa, and you swing them both around and bring them down on someone for the center attack.

The writing for the dialogue is well-written and totally non-engaging. The voice acting is absolutely terrible, but I hear that that shit stops entirely after you leave the newbie island anyway.

Adventuring in the wilderness is kinda cool since you can leap all around and find your own way to various locations, but the great outdoors is more confined to paths than some wholly open-ended worlds like Lineage 2 or WOW.

You can ride horses, rhinos, and mammoths. Guilds can build 'entire cities' of buildings and shit, and the rhinos and mammoths can plow through them and break shit up.

There are naked boobies.

Graphics are pretty good, but run a little worse than they should. From what I hear, the way it runs now is MUCH improved over even yesterday, when they introduced a new patch.

The game installs on 2 DVDs which takes a ton of time (the game whole is 32 GB), and then you have to download 700 MB of patch updates.

Character gen is above average - about 20 hairstyles, 20 facial marks, 20 body marks, and then complete face and body morphing.

The game's M rating and pay-to-play system seems to be keeping a few members of the younger crowd out, which is a godsend.

MORE BULLETINS AS EVENTS WARRANT

Last edited by Chojin : Jun 21st, 2008 at 12:08 PM.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:23 AM       
how does the mounted combat compare to say, mount & blade

(if you've played that, i mean)
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM       
I wanna hear more about these boobies
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM       
Quote:
the game whole is 32 GB
Jesus fucking christ
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:10 PM       
meowmixcity: So here's the update note from Age of Conan for today:"Withdrawing cash from the bank should now correctly add coins to your inventory instead of replacing the already existing ones."
knife side down:

i don't know why she told me
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
how does the mounted combat compare to say, mount & blade

(if you've played that, i mean)
You don't get mounts until level 30 or 40. So, I don't know.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimecow View Post
meowmixcity: So here's the update note from Age of Conan for today:"Withdrawing cash from the bank should now correctly add coins to your inventory instead of replacing the already existing ones."
knife side down:

i don't know why she told me
Because it's like that hilarious Korean MMO updates thread we had!

You should talk to me more often, Emily, I understand stuff.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM       
Age of Conan was rushed out in the hope that they'll be able to fix all of the bugs before Wrath of the Lich King is released, which will probably be around Christmas.

It might work to their advantage, but then again, it might not. DDO was rushed out to beat Burning Crusade, and it has essentially died because they couldn't fix the bugs fast enough and cut down on a lot of content so players ran out of things to do before they got bored.

Plus, people don't have a lot of patience anymore for dealing with buggy MMOs, especially if the company isn't handing out massive amounts of free time like Blizzard used to do.
was never good
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:58 PM       
DDO?
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:00 PM       
Dungeons and Dragons Online, mabye?
was never good
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM       
Oh, I assumed that no one ever talked about DnD without the N.

Like I said, Conan's buggy as fuck, but most of it's graphical bugs and not horrible gamebreaking bugs. Except for that time today where I was standing on a mountain and it said YOU ARE BEING INCINERATED and I was all WHAT NO and then I died, and it was apparently because I was standing 20 feet away from a river of magma with an errant kill box.

Besides, most of the graphical bugs are endearing, like when you talk to an NPC and the camera zooms in on their feet while they talk, or that time there was a lightshow rave going on in town for a few minutes before it bluescreened my computer.

On second thought, maybe I just REALLY ENJOY beta testing.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:59 PM       
whats the point of being topless?

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:04 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvare View Post
whats the point of being topless?
Quote:
Age of Conan (MMO)
You've never heard of Conan, have you

So can you adjust the size of your jubblies or are they restricted to the "Lady Gym Teacher" model?

i ask on behalf of science
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:36 AM       
that is ridiculous and now I want to play it.

I'd rather not take up half my hard drive, though.
was never good
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:20 AM       
Yes, bust size is one of the sliders during character gen.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:45 AM       
man i want to play this game if only so i can be all fake-racist and then get all "dude i was just being in character, have you not READ any of the original conan shit" when i get in trouble for it
was never good
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:49 AM       
Oh, forgot to mention - there are PVE servers, where you have to ask players if they want to PVP, and there are PVP servers, where you can kill anyone at pretty much any time, though I think the town guards will chase you around if you do that in town. Also, there are RP PVP servers, which I imagine involves the guy ganking you monologing before he does it.

All these servers are labelled as such on the server list. There's no RP PVE server yet.
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:03 AM       
One thing that gets on my nerves are all those loading screens...I even get a loading screen, when I´m being rezzed by someone. Thats really not necessary...and of course the whole thing does not feel like a "World" even for one second...it´s just a bunch of maps with teleport-spots that connect them. At least thats what it seems like to me.