Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 02:02 AM       
They changed the ending of the first slightly; at the end, something grabs you and drags you back inside as you fall unconscious.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 02:11 AM       
Yea, there was an ARG maybe a year ago where a few seconds were added. Also, there's an official comic on sites like Escapist and IGN that covers the timeframe between Portal 1 and 2 and talks about Rattman. It's actually really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSappington View Post
Excursion tubes were rendered pretty moot by the funnels or whatever they're called. No point in adding a feature that's like a less cool-looking version of another feature.
Even still, there were other levels that were yanked out completely that were shown in trailers to make the game easier.

And excursion tubes had the bonus of violently tearing panels off the walls. I was actually really looking forward to that since you could basically replicate the ending, but on a much smaller scale, and anywhere you wanted.

Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 02:29 AM       
They probably realized that clever/retarded players would probably rip off every piece of the walls they could, leaving everything a huge mess. I think it'd also subtract some of the hopeless feel to it; when you're in a test chamber, you're not in control, and being able to rip off panels at your whim might hamper that feeling a little.
That's how I felt, anyways.
mmm muffins
Wiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 09:55 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
some things that i didn't think were as cool

Spoilers!

Spoilers!

took me like 15+ hours to finish the game. because i like looking for small details rather than running through everything ^^

Last edited by executioneer : Jul 8th, 2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spoiler tag fix
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 11:04 AM       
Quote:
The Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, originally marketed in the 1950's as an Aperture Science Portable Quantum Tunneling Device, also commonly known as a Portal Gun or by its acronym, "ASHPD", is an experimental tool used to create two portals through which objects can pass.
Quote:
1950's
Nope.

mmm muffins
Wiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 12:39 PM       
The 50's gun they had was huge and prolly emitted radiation due to its reactor. Glados made the new version though. But yeah it seems dumb for APERTURE to not release it back then... maybe they were looking to refine the design further?

I never really thought how much they retconned the old story of Portal gun being invented after Cave's death. Absolutely makes no business sense, the again Aperture science never made any sense
Token Bleeding Heart
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 05:48 PM       
Aperture wasn't about marketing. It was about doing science, because WHY NOT?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 02:38 AM       
Cave Johnson died and I think a lot of the steam ran out of the company when that happened.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 02:42 AM       
lets hope valve's steam doesn't run out ha ha ahha oh god kill me
mmm muffins
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 03:02 AM       
OK heres a rational explaination why they didnt sell the portal gun back in the day.. it basically peeled off your skin if you tried to enter it, because a proper portal conducting surface wasnt invented yet... as heard from the audio clips

This was before they invented the Conversion Gel which I assumed they use it to paint their test facilities with too.

Still, they had a portal gun (bulky) and conversion gel back in the 80s. This was also when cave Johnson was terminally ill (due to the convesion gel), so I guess they werent able to market it properly. Carolyn, the new owner of the company probably didnt know what to do with it either.

Last edited by Wiffles : Jul 9th, 2011 at 03:29 AM.
Token Bleeding Heart
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 04:08 AM       
well, I think the biggest reasons they didn't market it were:
1. It was huge, bulky, and unfinished
2. It was horribly unsafe and expensive
3. All Aperture has ever really cared about was just fucking around with science and making new things. The shitloads of money were just a plus to do more science with.