Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:11 PM        Canada vs. Conan O'Brien
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...n_dc&printer=1

Canada Condemns 'Racist' Conan O'Brien TV Show

Fri Feb 13, 3:26 PM ET
By David Ljunggren

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's government on Friday condemned a show by U.S. late-night television host Conan O'Brien that insulted people in French-speaking Quebec and seemed to suggest everyone in the province was homosexual.

Ottawa and the province of Ontario paid $760,000 to help O'Brien -- who appears on the NBC television network -- bring his show to Toronto for a week to boost the city's profile after a deadly SARS (news - web sites) outbreak last year.

But the federal government said O'Brien had gone far too far with the show broadcast on Thursday in which he went to Quebec, a province which has had separatist governments for much of the last 20 years and is a delicate political topic in Canada.

"We want to disassociate ourselves from the comments which were broadcast last night because we do not support them in any way," junior government minister Mauril Belanger told Parliament.

At one point in the show, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog -- a hand puppet that is a regular on the show -- said to a Quebecer: "You're French, you're obnoxious and you no speekay English." It told another: "I can smell your crotch from here."

O'Brien's team were also shown replacing street signs in the province with those that read "Quebecqueer Street" and "Rue des Pussies."

Alexa McDonough, a legislator for the left-leaning New Democrats, described the program as "racist filth" and "utterly vile" and demanded the government seek the return of the C$1 million subsidy.

"There may be those who would say, 'Isn't this interfering with freedom of expression?' It's not interfering to say we will not publicly fund this kind of vile, vicious hatemongering," McDonough told reporters.

Belanger did not commit to asking for the money back. No one at NBC was immediately available for comment.

The complaints over the puppet's comments come on the heels of a similar uproar following criticism of European French-Canadian hockey players on CBC television by the country's best-known sports commentator, Don Cherry.

The "Late Night" show, which taped in Toronto all this week and featured guests such as Jim Carrey (news) and Mike Myers (news), was broadcast in Canada by CHUM television, which said it regretted any offense that may have been caused.

"We offer our apology and assurance that it is never our intention to air programing that offends any of our viewers," the station said in a statement.

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has landed in trouble before, most famously when it had an altercation with rap singer Eminem (news - web sites) at a music awards show in 2002.
###

phnompehn is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:44 PM       
Funny, I heard plenty canadians in the audience who cheered, laughed, and applauded during those segments. Next someone'll say the mud wrestling between the CN Tower and Seattle Space Needle was anti-American.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:50 PM       
Everyone in Canada who lives outside of Quebec knows that everyone who does live in Quebec is a huge faggot.

Nobody gives a shit, the NDP are blockhead nobodies, and French still sucks.
Pee Wee Herman is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:16 PM       
I saw it, and some of the Quebec stuff was funny, some was not funny, but it was not offensive. Sure, they were poking fun at the ol' seperatists, but it wasn't offensive. I'm sure most French Canadians would find it funny.

AChimp, not everyone in Quebec is a huge faggot. Some are, but most of them aren't.

"Boy, me and my family sure are quoyed a lot in people's signatures"
-Max Burbank
Resident Chimp
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:25 PM       
Nope.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:26 PM       
You're a huge fag.

-Max Burbank
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 03:43 PM       
It's only ex-politicans and the media that are making this a story. It's not even news in Quebec, no one cares there even. And it's former NDP people, no one in politics right now could give a rats ass. It's a perfect example of the media making a story out of the 15 people that called in too complain, even though a million watched it.
Resident Chimp
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 03:56 PM       
Pee Wee said a swear word!
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 04:35 PM       
I live in Quebec so it has to be cool. At least Montreal is. RT is totally right - I don't see anybody here getting uptight over it.

AChimp until you actually kiss a girl and are assured of your own sexuality you should refrain from calling everyone else homosexual.
Resident Chimp
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 04:46 PM       
You're the biggest homo of them all.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 05:33 PM       
I am one of those Canadians that doesn't have a beef with Quebec. Seperatists on the other hand can smoke my cock. I would love to go to Montreal; fucking Leonad Cohen is from Montreal.
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 06:24 PM       
- I'll tell ya who has a beef against Triumph the Insult Comic Dog for quite sometime now, and that's Citytv's Ed the Sock.

:/ - Knowing TO once voted in a real life troll as mayor, and he in turn called the military 'caused it snowed, and knowing TO is lodged right smack center of the Universe, it's perfectly understandable for the locals to boo CĂ©line Dion, the cities of Montreal and Quebec and even the Winterpeg outpost, but what I found totally fuckin' retarded was the non-stop fanatical anti-American booing.

- Afterall the main purpose for fed and provincial sponsorship was to promote TO's tourism in the US, and what better way to show this than by having a bunch of fat fucks in Make Beliefs sweaters chanting "Go Leafs Go!" and jeering every US reference, including their national anthem.

- And one more thing, my Canada includes Quebec, and if you don't like it ya can go spank one of them Borneo monkeys!
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 06:36 PM       
I know nothing of Quebec but Montreal is fucking great. Cheap rent, cheapest tuition in Canada, 24 hour bagel stores and 99cent pizza slices on like every block, beer and wine sold in convenience stores, bars open 'til 3am, legal age to drink/smoke is 18, pot/hash delivery service anywhere in the city from 3pm-11pm, excellent subway system, great food, beautiful girls and a touch of wannabe Paris. It's like Toronto used to be before it was purchased by the GAP, but still better. Only a hardcore heterosexual like AChimp would have a problem with this city (which I bet my first born he's never been to). Are there even chimpanzees in the jungles of Borneo?
Resident Chimp
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 06:57 PM       
See? Bagel stores. I rest my case.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 09:04 PM       
And you can "touch" in Montreal

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtest
I know nothing of Quebec but Montreal is fucking great. Cheap rent, cheapest tuition in Canada, 24 hour bagel stores and 99cent pizza slices on like every block, beer and wine sold in convenience stores, bars open 'til 3am, legal age to drink/smoke is 18, pot/hash delivery service anywhere in the city from 3pm-11pm, excellent subway system, great food, beautiful girls and a touch of wannabe Paris. It's like Toronto used to be before it was purchased by the GAP, but still better. Only a hardcore heterosexual like AChimp would have a problem with this city (which I bet my first born he's never been to). Are there even chimpanzees in the jungles of Borneo?
may i visit?
BombsBurstingInAir is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:40 PM       
I think this is the New Hitler's doing. He wants to detract from the National Guard Issue.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
See? Bagel stores. I rest my case.
I live in the US and there is a bagel store within sight of my apartment. What's your point?
Resident Chimp
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM       
You should move.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtest
...Are there even chimpanzees in the jungles of Borneo?
may i visit?
Why the hell do you want to visit the jungles of Borneo?

-Max Burbank
Resident Chimp
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:05 PM       
You sure are a quick one, huh?