Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:29 AM        Weekly Game Review: Mass Effect
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Game Review: Mass Effect.
Enginseer
Mac Brookman is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 03:54 AM       
I found the game good but not great. The side quests and interaction with the squad members was a little less than desired and their impact on the story as a whole wasn't that great. Still, I liked the game for being so cruel and hard some times, something that really surprised me and made me say that this wasn't some happy-peppy Star Trek thing.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:27 AM       
I can't wait for Mass Effect 2. It's time to stick it to those gigantic Reaper assholes.
¿
wobzire is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM       
Thank you for a fair and true review of the game! You are the first review I have read, and im sort of pathetic so i have read alot, that didn't mention the sex. Good for you beacause it's honestly not even a big detail! In fact I shouldn't even mention it! So maybe I wont...

awe piss I've already typed this comment now so fuck it.
Spiteful Jerk
Magic Flyin' Lemur is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM       
Actually, EA thought that awful DRM would be a snazzy idea, since they consumed BioWare. So sad. I know that seems like an annoying nitpick, but it's important to remember that the people at BioWare are still good guys, they just got eaten up by a fucking monstrous dragon. I have to keep reminding myself that just so I don't snap my copy of KoToR in half as a symbol of BioWare's death. Anyhow: I'm curious as to how they improved the Mako. That thing kind of fucking sucks on the 360 version, and my computer will burst into flames if I bring a game this graphically intensive within ten feet of it. Details?
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM       
I never played the 360 version so I can't say exactly what was fixed. In the PC version, you control the Mako with standard tank controls, the jump jets can be used for... something I guess, the two mouse buttons control for the machine gun and cannon, and the shift key cycles through the zoom levels: normal, just above the Mako, regular zoom, and enhanced zoom.

Freelance Product Tester
BurntToShreds is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:10 PM       
I heard that the Mako can climb steeper slopes in the PC version.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM       
That it can. Up to like 80 degree slopes. On most planets, you can just drive straight to your destination. I was surprised at first, but then I just got annoyed at the handful of planets with hills that were just too steep.

Scruffy drunken Brit
Fat Ugly Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM       
While there's a lot of issues in the gameplay that I would love to go on a million hour rant about, I love the story, characters, music, and everything else about the game too much to speak against it.

Oh, and Saren's voice actor, Fred Tatasciore, also does the voice of Baird in gears of war, and Handbanana in Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
Try taking Mass Effect seriously now, when the badguy is a bright yellow serial rapist!
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 01:03 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ugly Drunk View Post
Try taking Mass Effect seriously now, when the badguy is a bright yellow serial rapist!
OMG SPOILERS
Funky Dynamite
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM       
Quote:
While there's a lot of issues in the gameplay that I would love to go on a million hour rant about, I love the story, characters, music, and everything else about the game too much to speak against it.
The writing is really fantastic. But the thing is, at the end of the day, it's still a game. The most important part of a game is the gameplay.

Blah blah blah

krish-0 is probably a spambot
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM       
The Mako can climb 80 degree inclines in the 360 version. Damn near straight up. So I wouldn't say that's an improvement on the PC version.

Also - in regards to the overheating bug. I don't think this is a PC only problem. I experienced the same thing on the 360. Did you try switching weapons, firing off a few rounds, and then switching back to your regular gun? Worked for me.
Funky Dynamite
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM       
Well then that part is PC only. I was able to get all 4 weapon types to become permanently overheated at once.

Scruffy drunken Brit
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 07:58 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
The writing is really fantastic. But the thing is, at the end of the day, it's still a game. The most important part of a game is the gameplay.

It'd be expected of us now to get into some sort of debate about this view, much akin to Shepard and Garrus talking about what they think counts as "right", but it wouldn't be very funny

I'm not saying that the gameplay in Mass Effect is bad, far from it, just having a go at some of the issues that almost stop it from being enjoyable.
Turrican't. :(
Kitsunexus is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:32 PM       
So like, when are you guys going to review RETRO games again, you know, like why we go to I-Mockery instead of IGN? ¬__¬
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:00 AM       
http://www.i-mockery.com/weeklies/we...pe=games&id=52

there are you happy now you fuck*ng jerk
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:59 AM       
Quote:
It'd be expected of us now to get into some sort of debate about this view, much akin to Shepard and Garrus talking about what they think counts as "right", but it wouldn't be very funny

I'm not saying that the gameplay in Mass Effect is bad, far from it, just having a go at some of the issues that almost stop it from being enjoyable.
I never had any issues with the way the game played. The action seemed about perfect as far as I was concerned. Are your problems mainly related to awkward control/difficulty controlling your squad? Because I couldn't imagine playing the game with a 360 controller.
Scruffy drunken Brit
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:57 AM       
I didn't have any trouble controlling the squad. The Mako takes some getting used to, and the fact that when you're going on a rampage and killing guys and have no earthly idea that your item count is rapidly approaching 150 results in a total facestab when you find that you can only get rid of a certain bunch of items when you go over the limit, forcing you to scrap some good.
However, now that I know to keep an eye on my inventory, I don't have this problem.

Hardcore and Insane could have been put together a little better.
"Everyone and their dog uses Immunity constantly, except for the Geth" doesn't make for challenging gameplay, it just makes for long and dull gunfights. That bit with the Thorian, I ended up having to put those explsoive rounds in my guns so that I could just kill everything by knocking them off the ledges and sending them to their deaths.

I'd complain at the fact that considering that BioWare said they'd be avoiding typical sci fi cliches where humanity have pretty much become the macdaddys of the universe and are fucking everywhere but instead you see a couple of Salarians with the same voice, one or two Krogans (Not including the ones working for Saren) a few Asari, three Elcor and the entire human population of Earth crammed into every available space, but I'd just be being a prick.

Incidentally, I don't see the problem some people seem to have with how slow the lifts in the Citadel and what not go.
The one in the Normandy only takes, what, sixteen seconds, the lift at where I used to work took about seven weeks to move one floor.