Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
Spooky is probably a spambot
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 05:23 PM       
Oh, two tihngs I forgot to mention that I noticed, and don't worry, they aren't really spoilers.

since Tarentino likes to connect his movies in subtle ways, to show they're all in the same "universe", I had an eye open the whole film, and I sadly only noticed two, when I'm sure there's more.

- During "The Bride" scenes...it's the same Texas Ranger that's in "From Dusk 'till Dawn", or at least the same actor playing a similar character.

- When Uma's character is walking through the airport in Tokyo, there is a large wall-ad for "Red Apple" cigarettes, which have been used in every film Tarentino's even had a HAND in.
Drev is probably a spambot
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 07:58 PM       
Oh my God......

This movie is a theatrical orgasm!

The story....the fight scenes, the overuse of blood...ALL WAS PERFECT!

I am so getting the DVD when it comes out!

Sergeant_Tibbs is probably a spambot
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 09:45 PM       
This was by far the best movie I've seen all year.

Kaboom cereal; now with a free gun inside!

Edit: how many body parts do you think Sophie(sp) lost? I'm guessing most of her hand and some toes.
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 10:26 PM       
What the hell is with this thread? It's passed 2 pages, but only lets you select the first 2. Mods, if you see this fix it. Thank you.

Snatchtastic is probably a spambot
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 11:48 PM        .
I just picked up the soundtrack for this movie and it''s fantastic. The only dissapointment I have with it is it doesn't have the song they play when......

*MINOR FIGHT SEQUENCE SPOILER DO NOT READ BELOW*

When Uma Thurman is breakdancing while she chops of the feet of attacking yakuza, when they played that song I shat myself from LOL BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Other than that, It's the typical Tarantino sndtrk with tons of 70's 80's music.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 01:57 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky
Oh, two tihngs I forgot to mention that I noticed, and don't worry, they aren't really spoilers.

since Tarentino likes to connect his movies in subtle ways, to show they're all in the same "universe", I had an eye open the whole film, and I sadly only noticed two, when I'm sure there's more.

- During "The Bride" scenes...it's the same Texas Ranger that's in "From Dusk 'till Dawn", or at least the same actor playing a similar character.

- When Uma's character is walking through the airport in Tokyo, there is a large wall-ad for "Red Apple" cigarettes, which have been used in every film Tarentino's even had a HAND in.
The DIVAs are also kind of similar to Fox Force 5. Obviously not meant to be the same thing, but close enough to be interesting.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 12:02 PM       
Something I noticed... that band that was playing was called "The 1,2,3,4,5's" The name was on their drumset.

Snatchtastic is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 12:03 PM        .
Nice Av.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 01:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by some imdb user

Dan Grant (dandgrant@hotmail.com)
toronto

Date: 10 October 2003
Summary: What a fraud!!

Kill Bill is a fraud. Terrible, terrible movie! SPOILERS

Spoilers within this post. Enter at your own risk!

I just got back from the noon showing of Kill Bill in which the theater was half full (for a noon showing, that is huge. The theater is one of the bigger ones at the Queensway in Toronto, so it will do well this weekend). What I witnessed in that 100 minutes in the theater can only be described as Tarantino's flipping of the bird to all of us as he looks in the mirror and congratulates himself on being the smartest man in the world. Straight up, Kill Bill is one of the biggest disappointments I have seen in my life. After masterpieces like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction and other greats like True Romance, you would think that Kill Bill would live up to those lofty expectations bestowed upon it by virtue and name recognition alone. But not only has Tarantino told us all to **** off, he he has done it while laughing in our faces.

Kill Bill has all of Tarantino's quirky and weird trademarks in it. And it contains strange techniques that at first you think is simply an homage to a film genre. But in reality, what QT did here was get too cute and at the expense of artistic integrity. What we are left with is more Matrix style garbage, a 10 minute anime introduction to Lucy Lui's character, black and white photography for no reason and the bleeping out of the bride's name just because he can. All of this is looked at as being brilliant by the critics and those in similar circles because Tarantino has a free pass right now. His films have enamoured critics for 10 years now and this one is no different even though it is a shadow of the opulence that we are used to from him. To sum it up, this film is all style and has no substance. The style is there, but for what purpose? Why does he choose to do the things that he does? Is it just because he can? Or is it because he thinks he is so much more clever than the rest of us? You guys thought Matrix Reloaded was pretentious, this film might as well be the Architect meets Socrates meets Locke, meets Rouseau meets Japanese smart guy meets Marx. That is how it comes across. Pretentious doesn't even begin to describe it. There is even a blatant rip off of the burly brawl in this film right down to beings jumping up a flight of steps to come and meet the heroine.

I knew I was in trouble five minutes into the film when it just didn't feel right. You know how in Pulp you just knew you were in for something special? You just felt it with the dialogue, the acting, the soundtrack and everything that encompassed the film. Well Kill Bill has the opposite feel to it. None of that magic is present and it is just a bunch of people getting sliced and diced and maimed. There is no snappy dialogue and that is what QT is good at. Tarantino is a lyrical genius and he abandons that here and goes Wachowski Brothers on us and it just doesn't work.

I despised this film with every fibre of my body and it left me in a p***ed off and foul mood. Shame on you QT. Shame on you for starting to believe everything that was said about you. Now wipe that stupid smile off your face and go clean Harvey's shoes and polish his golf clubs. There is a lot of sychophantic baloney going on here and I thought you were bigger than that.

F or a 1 out of 10.

This is why i never talk to people about movies. Stupid opinions from people who just don't get it. At least SnakeAss got it. I didn't see anything wrong with his post, he sounded like he enjoyed it. And if the reviews so far tell me anything, this will be a million times as bloody as Lone Wolf and Cub, and as "Holy Shit!" as Riki-Oh.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 01:45 PM       
"that band that was playing was called "The 1,2,3,4,5's""

No, they were the 5, 6, 7, 8s. It was even in the credits.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 02:04 PM       
The fights were amazing. I loved them.

The plot was dissapointing. I expected better from Tarantino.

:/
The Goddamned Batman
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 04:07 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
"that band that was playing was called "The 1,2,3,4,5's""

No, they were the 5, 6, 7, 8s. It was even in the credits.
Yeah, and it was on the drumset. I think Roger was making a joke.

And I didn't have a problem with people laughing at the movie, so much of it was obviously MEANT to be funny. It was the WAY people were laughing at the showing I went to, they were obviously MOCKING it. Laughing like they thought it was a ridiculously bad film. That's why I said they didn't "get it". They were laughing for all the wrong reasons. In my opinion.

I saw the movie a second time this morning, and I just bought the soundtrack and I fucking it.

Incidentally, that bad review up there is not the first time I've heard people refer to the fight scenes in this movie as a Matrix rip-offs. I love when I hear that kind of shit, because those people are wearing their ignorance proudly, like a badge.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 04:14 PM       
I have to admit, I almost didn't want to see this movie because the sheer number of times the phrase, "get it," was used in this thread, but it turned out to be a pretty good movie. Plenty of action, no shortage of blood, and just enough cheese to make it a great action movie.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 04:36 PM       
Did you get it though?
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 04:49 PM       
I got most of it.

At least hopefully all will be answered in Vol. 2.

BTW, doesn't Vol. 2 come out in December or Janurary?
The Goddamned Batman
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 05:04 PM       
Volume 2 comes out in February.

Does anybody know what the music is that's playing when Beatrix is looking at all of the katana's on display in Hattori Hanzo's attic? I fucking LOVE that music but it's not included on the soundtrack.
Mocker
Spooky is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 05:31 PM       
I don't know, but it made me think of all the training scenes in the Karate Kid movies, where the kid's trying to balance on random shit.
Lord Felch Demon
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 06:44 PM       
<raving>

Too cool. Too fucking cool. I loved the anime segment, and i thought that it was just the most perfect movie i have ever seen. Blood, humor, anime, swords, Uma, Madsen, and DEAAAAAAATH. Great characters. I loved Buck's death, nice and brutal. I loved the schoolgirl, she was cute in an ugly sort of way. It was fantastic when (spoiler)Uma was shot in the head mid-sentence at the beginning, (/spoiler) i loved Hanzo's bickering with the other guy in the restaurant, and the fights were obviously fucking cool. God damn, there is absolutely no way The Last Samurai will top this. Tarantino is my new hero.

</raving>
The Goddamned Batman
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 06:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjavenom
I loved the schoolgirl, she was cute in an ugly sort of way.
Funny, I thought she was cute in a cute sort of way.
Lord Felch Demon
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 07:02 PM       
She had to grow on me, kinda like Molly Ringwold. :/

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 07:37 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
Did you get it though?
I think so, though I might have been laughing "for the wrong reasons," so maybe I'm not leet enough. Who knows.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 07:38 PM       
Did you think it sucked becuz if you think it sucked you prolly didn get it okthxbye

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 07:41 PM       
Shut up, Johnny Blow.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 08:54 PM       
This was a good fun movie. It was by no means a truly great movie though. I saw alot of style and action, but it lacked the Tarantino dialogue and plot that I loved in Pulp Fiction.

And there wasn't very good character development either. Revenge movies are supposed to truly make you sympathize with the protagonist's cause, but we learn practically nothing about the Bride. I understand that its a homage to the way old Samuri films were done, but he could do better. :/

Don't get me wrong, I liked it. I'm gonna buy the DVD and watch it again because it was cool, but I could barely tell Tarantino even made it.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 09:05 PM       
Who cares? It had Lucy Liu.