Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drev is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 12:51 AM        The Nintendo DS Thread
It came out, and I want one, but I don't have any cash right now to buy it with.
No sir, I don't like it
DeadKennedys is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 12:59 AM       
It's bulky to hold, unattractive, and the games other than Metroid: Hunters didn't really entertain me.

I pray it's not another Virtual Boy.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 01:23 AM       
How are you supposed to use the stylus and push the buttons at teh same time? Hold it with your teeth?
frunk as duck
Drunkenbrigade is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 04:04 AM       
I got my D.S. on hold for me till tomorrow. I got to try metroid (they had a ds to sample at gamestop.) It had a control option to use the face bottons instead of the stylus for shooting and moving.

It looks like it'll take a while to get used to. :/

Alcoholism- The new fad in todays society. Dont be left out! Get a free "How to drink your way through life!" tape with 2 proofs of purchase with every 24 pack of Budweiser.TM or
Bud-lite.TM
XboxLiveTag-IXISilencerIXI

FS is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 05:11 AM       
I've heard people mention this and I have no idea what it is. Google just gives me a lot of images of people making fun of it. Is it just Nintendo's latest unnecessary Gameboy update?
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 06:10 AM       
you haven't heard of the DS? it's the new handheld, a dual screen. I've heard good things, actually.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 10:08 AM       
It's actually quite unique. My friend and i played the metroid prime demo on it at the local EB, and were both impressed. The bottom screen acts like a map, and you use the stylus in conjunction with that to perform all the tasks besides shooting (L and R) and strafing (ABXY). You tap the stylus on the screen twice to jump, you use it to move your cursor on the map to aim, and you use it to click on icons to use things like morph ball and missiles. I think the hardware is based on 64-bit technology, because prime looked very, very nice for a handheld game. It looked very similar to the first one, only not as crisp or shiny. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very nice looking game, and very impressive for a handheld. I don't think i'd ever really want one, however, as it seems a little active for a video game console. It takes some time getting used to the move & aim with the stylus and d-pad, but after a few minutes it can get to be quite responsive, albeit a little tiring to swing that pen at just the right angle to laser rape someone for so long.
adept_ninja is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 01:01 PM       
The metroid demo was good. I just coundnt figure out how to shoot missles. I might pick it up but right now there are only a couple of titles that intrest me (metroid, golden eye, and mario) My friend is getting it today so later on im gonna check out the mario. Ihope the jump isnt like the metroid jump.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 05:28 PM       
Not at all. The jump is designated to a specific button, and the D-pad works surprisingly well for a 3d game. THis is one nice piece of machinery. It feels good in your hand, it responds well, and the graphics on it are just gorgeous for a handheld. Sure, PSP's graphics will be better, but battery life will suck. If anyone had any doubts as to which handheld will dominate, I think this clinches it for the DS. Great gameplay mechanics, innovative ideas, and nice graphics. I got Super Mario 64 DS on it, and it rocks. New levels, 30 new stars, and three new characters.

P.S. If you want to shoot missiles in the Metroid demo, you need to tap the missile icon on the bottom screen like you do for the morph ball. A little odd, but you get used to it.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 06:53 PM       
Its gonna be hell for Us leftys because they stylus is like a pen and I'll have to use my left hand with it and warp my right hand to the D-Pad. I heard you could load roms and Snes emulators into them is that true?
Mocker
EverythingWillSuck is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:14 PM       
i preordered one with super mario 64, but i have to pick it up tommorow
zoom
eggyolk is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowX
I heard you could load roms and Snes emulators into them is that true?
Very interesting. Where did you hear this?
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:33 PM       
gossip at the EB games
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:47 PM       
That sounds fishy. I doubt that.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 08:25 PM       
Well, if you have a GBA rom cart, yeah, you can, since this DS is backwards compatible with GBA (but not GB or GBC) games. But they're pricey and you gotta mail order those things from Korea or China, so it's not like everyone will do that.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 09:10 PM       
Having just worked my first 5 hour shift at Gamestop... blah...

I can answer some questions that I was asked, and had to find out.

The download capabilites of the D.S. are amazing. Say, 2 people have a DS, but only one has Mario 64 DS, and they both want to play multiplayer. Well, get within 30ft (the game claims 30 feet, but active testing from the employees put it at about 100)
and you can download the game from their DS and play multiplayer.
I wasn't there for the testing, they had tried it out that morning.
It's like the old StarCraft Spawn. Speaking of StarCraft and RTS, I believe the DS is perfectly situated for RTS. And it's wireless capabilities allow you to get a bunch of people together and destroy it up for hours. Just imagine a road trip, 3 of you guys/girls battling it up, while the driver silently sulks at being left out.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 11:30 PM       
Arrow, you could do that with the GBA with those flash cards (as Ziggy said)...I have one myself.

I'm probably not gonna pick this up. I played a demo of Metroid Prime: Hunters and I really, REALLY disliked the control system.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:14 AM       
I actually did find the system to be more intriguing, once I got to handle it. My only complaints are;

-I worry about the screen's resistance to scratches, when using the stylus or even your own finger.
-A D-pad for 3D games is just really awkward.
-Lack of titles that interest me right now. Though with the few titles that interest me for the GBA, that helps.
-Problems with the lighting. Is it backlit, because I found it looking very dark unless I held it at the right angle to catch the light.

I really would consider buying this system, though. But not until I see more. I'm glad I didn't break down and buy a GBA SP, though. I saved myself $100 which I can now use toward this... or the PSP, which I am still really interested in.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:55 AM       
I say hold out in case they pull another stunt like they did with the original GBA. No backlighting, what the hell?

I'll bet the second DS has a more resilient screen, or something.

Ah, what the hell am I saying? If they had another Castlevania clone on it, I'd already own it.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:41 AM       
i would buy one in a second if that were the case (assuming it was as good as aria oif sorrow )

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
I say hold out in case they pull another stunt like they did with the original GBA. No backlighting, what the hell?

I'll bet the second DS has a more resilient screen, or something.

Ah, what the hell am I saying? If they had another Castlevania clone on it, I'd already own it.
It has a very nice backlight, actually. Works perfectly.

There are things you can pick up for about 15 bucks that protect both screens, and buying those would probably be cheaper than buying a "new" DS, like the SP was more expensive than just backlighting your old GBA.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:23 PM       
One more problem with the DS. The Power button turns the system on and off with a simple press. No holding it down for a certain amount of time is needed.

This was what many of us thought, considering how close it is to the D-pad. And, in my first play of the handheld, I did turn the system off by accident.
Charming
Dr. V is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:08 AM       
I love it, can't complain about anything. all my buddies at my work bought one and we're gonna do a 4 player mario fest later this week.
Location: In that place where i didnt know where we were before
Comrade Rocket is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:35 AM       
Ah, i got one today and i have to say im really impressed. I love the use of both screens, and yes the whole stylus deal is a little akward but i was able to find a comfterble postion which i could use it effectively. I was only able to get the system since i get paid tomarrow. So my GBA games are going to have to hold me over till then.

Fighting the green samus at the end of the demo was a blast and i wanted to try the multi player and slapped myself realizing that i could have used the Display DS at the game store. Im the only one in my area with one, but im going to try to get some of my neighboors to get it too so i dont have to even leave my house to play some games.

It feels like im playing a fucking portible nintendo 64. The cartriges are like a freaking memory stick and i would be worried about losing them, of course i felt the same why when i got some of my first GBA games. Between this and the PSP i think the DS comes out on top. I hear things that the only thing the PSP has over it is better graphics but it suffers from being very expensive (i hear $300 for the system?!) a short battery life (3 hours comparied to the 10 on ds) and a lack of apealing launch titles (MGS card game? wtf) also i hear that there using mini disks.
Charming
Dr. V is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 07:04 AM       
I think psp plays mp3s too. But I was looking at it and the graphics aren't even close to DS. DS actually has better graphics than the 64. Mario is much more detailed in this one.