Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 03:55 PM       
No Half Life game ever explains the story and I don't understand why everyone thinks it's well written.

Valve just expects you to INFER what's going on without telling you anything, which is retarded. Anyway, my synopsis is this:

The Combine are a race of humanoid aliens who defeated and enslaved humanity in a war that lasted only 7 hours, aptly named the 7 Hours War, and Dr. Breen who was the administrator back at Black Mesa (but was never mentioned in any of the previous games!) is the head of City 17 for some reason, and somehow the Vortigaunt aren't the badguys now and have come over to our world from Xen even though you cut the route between the two off in the first game.

Also, the pistol isn't weak. If anything, it's ridiculously overpowered and one of the more useful weapons in the game.

If you aren't having fun now I hear it gets better once you start open rebellion against the Combine with your homeboys, so mabye hold out for that?
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:09 PM       
The thing with half-life 2 is that while the overall story may be unremarkable the way it is conveyed to the player though the character interaction is extremely good. For example you might overhear the NPCs having conversations which reveal new things about the story or learn things through the set pieces with the main characters. All of which are very well 'acted'.

If you compare it to other high profile FPS titles it really doesn't get much better than HL2.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:19 PM       
I just got the game up and running on my mom's PC, Chojin, and after I got a gun everything became shits and giggles. I don't know what your problem is, mabye you should stop looking for the flaws in the games you play and try to enjoy life!
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:08 PM       
I wasn't trying to hate it. Honestly, I was hoping to like it because I love portal and have HL2 episodes one and two anyway. My standards are actually really low, I just hate it when games bore me.

I'm driving around a buggy that controls about 1000x worse than the speedboat for some reason, I'll let you know how that goes.

Oh, also, MM, I agree and really like the character interaction. Especially the scene where you first get the gravity gun and play catch with the dog, that was cute. And then it was all over and I was back to doing prince of persia jumps in first person along rooftops.

Another thing that really bothers me about this game is that it feels like a very intricate mod, like the game mechanics aren't supposed to be there. What I mean by that is when you're driving something or picking up objects, you never see your HANDS or anything operate them, they just magically operate on their own. Throwing barrels and stuff is especially queer because you just hover them in front of your face instead of like, hoisting it over your head or something. It really ruins the immersion.

And I didn't say the pistol was weak, GW, just that it FEELS weak. It has a hit area the size of a grain of rice and makes the most pathetic 'piff' noise when it fires. The shotgun seems underpowered, though.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:37 PM       
I hate the vehicles with a passion.

By the way, Gordon Freemon is telekinetic.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM       
I love the sound the pistol makes for some reason

The POK POK POK POK BEEEEEEEEEEP when you kill a Combine soldier is always intensely satisfying to me :<

But yeah, the shotgun is a piece of shit.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:47 PM       
Also, one thing nobody ever talks about is the great soundtrack the game has. I always get COMPLETLEY PUMPED when one of the tracks starts playing.

I don't even like techno that much!
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM       
UGh.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
And it has all the capabilities of Live - including achievements -
That isn't exclusive to Steam. It's Games for Windows or Windows Live or whatever it's called. For instance, you can view your Halo 2 achievements on an Xbox 360. I think.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:08 PM       
Which... would be a Live thing, right?
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:11 PM       
Yeah, it's all part of the Live thing. What I was telling you was, "It's not Steam. It's just Windows."

By the way Chong, do you have the Orange Box for the PC or Xbox 360? I'd love to play you in Team Fortress 2.
was never good
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:12 PM       
Okay, but Steam achievements have nothing to do with Windows.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:15 PM       
YES DAMNIT.

Wait wait wait a second. I believe that if you had Windows Live (silver or otherwise) the gamerscore and achievements would get added to your total. Can you get me a screenshot of the achievements section in Steam?
was never good
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:17 PM       
I have the PC orange box.

And again, no, Windows Live and PlaysForSure and all that bullshit is part of Vista, which I don't use.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:18 PM       
Damn. Cool beans, anyway.
was never good
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM       
I don't think Steam itself tracks achievements, it's just a feature in some steam games.

I don't know. I know it's not tied into Live, though.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM       
It is. Trust me. Please. Can we get someone else that is not me to verify this?

If it's not, than everything I've ever understood about Window's Live is wrong. Can you create a Windows Live Silver account, Chojin, and test it out?
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:26 PM       
yeah, only certain Steam games have achievements.
was never good
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:26 PM       
I would like a webpage or something from Microsoft or Valve to verify that.

And I know not all Steam games have achievements, that wasn't the point.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM       
ASKJFDASJFDASJDGADSGLKJHFDSALKJHFDSA

I don't see why Steam would be tied in with Live, that's stupid

I WILL CHECK ANYWAY SIT TIGHT
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM       
Like, games you can get in the store.

Oh, try Bioshock. Also, I bet the achievements are the same in both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman View Post
ASKJFDASJFDASJDGADSGLKJHFDSALKJHFDSA

I don't see why Steam would be tied in with Live, that's stupid

I WILL CHECK ANYWAY SIT TIGHT
I JUST FUCKING SAID IT WASN'T STEAM. I think that they offer games that also have achievements. That's all. It's the games that have the achievements, NOT STEAM.
was never good
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM       
My point is that Steam isn't tied in with Live, that certain Steam games just have achievements. And if those games also show up on the 360, it'd make sense that the developers would make the achievements the same.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:32 PM       
Like Kane and Lynch, Bioshock, whatever. Someone test this or I will send a letter to Gabe Newell personally.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:37 PM       
I have no idea what the fuck is going on

See this is why I don't like steam why the fuck does it have to be so confusing
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:38 PM       
fuck you guys