Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

James sucks
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:15 AM        Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Just watched this tonight. It's a good movie, but I NEED to see it a second time (at least) to figure out what the fuck was going on.

Part of the confusion is because none of the written documents are translated, and they're all very integral to the plot. Another problem is so many Asian people look alike. I'm sorry, but it had to be said. I'm watching the movie, and only after I checked IMDB did I realize there were TWO main female characters, when I watched the whole movie thinking there was only one.

So having the knowledge I do now, it'll make the film a little less confusing. I'm still concerned that a few moments STILL won't make sense, so I'm scouring the boards on IMDB (God help me) for more explanations.

Has anyone else seen this? It's the first in a revenge trilogy. The second in the trilogy is Oldboy, and the third will be Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, to be released this year.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:39 PM       
probably some SPOILERS, i dunno, i'm just going to rant on it.

it's a senseless vehichle for murder and death that becomes without meaning, without commentary, without sympathy. i rooted mainly for ryu, but in a movie as liberal with death as this is, we all know that a deaf and dumb kid fueled by desperation and fear and in constant pain wouldnt live to the end. so the movie's focus turns from plight to total loss of control of what happens. a friend of mine said he was relieved it didnt use misunderstanding to drive the plot, but all it did was keep the film from being totally infuriating.

the message (because there must be one) is rather difficult to get at, because all i kept remembering is ryu bashing in someones face with a steel bat after he killed him with a screwdriver to the neck.
at first i thought along the lines of "dont get some gross out fucking disease that's going to drive your family broke because you'll start a horrendous cycle of rage and murder."
which was funny to me because it sounded like David Brent.

eventually i thought WAY too much about it and made some hazy conclusions involving the way a system (in this case, capitalism) can look good on paper, but cease to function in the real world, unable to sustain itself in the face of everyday chaos. small variants like kidney failure ruin families involved in "the greater good for the greatest amount of people"

i dont know if i enjoyed it, but it's pretty good, and worthwhile.