Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 03:04 PM        Red Steel
Gamespot hates it (SUPLISE), IGN US didn't like it, but the UK and Japan seem to love it. People in general seem to rate it around 7.5 and either love or hate it.

Personally, I love this game ;< It controls excellently (aside from swordfights, which are spotty, and a vibrating crosshair problem), looks great (especially on later levels), and has plenty of awesome destructible environments and hardcore shootout scenes (parenthesis). I didn't notice any of IGN's claimed 'EXTREMELY BUGGY MOMENTS OH GOD', which leads me to believe that they are either lying or full of shit. The game is extremely long for an FPS (9+ hours), and after you find the nightclub you can outfit yourself with whatever weapons you want before you start the next level.

It isn't all good, though. The plotline is absolutely ridiculous, the worst offender being when you have to shoot your way through this fag's anime playhouse where men in pink wigs attack from every corner and anime realdolls hand you loaded firearms. All of this happens in a part of the game when you are trying to save your fiancée and you got really close and OH and BUT WAIT, THERE ARE FOUR MEN HERE AND YOU MUST DO US ALL COMPLETELY UNRELATED FAVORS FOR NO REASON, OK? Add in some really predictable plot points and some hilariously bad voice acting, and you have a game that is no worse than any other first person shooter ever made, but plays like a dream. The menus are absolutely terrible. It's not bad enough that you have to drag your options onto a giant billboard just to select something, but all of your options are in neon japanese. SCORE.

Also particularly annoying is that I beat the game once and got the bad ending, but when I went to replay the last level to get the good ending, the level just ended with no cutscene (as apparently replaying a level just doesn't roll like that). Also in queer news, replaying a level doesn't let you choose your weapons like in the normal game, and you will never see a grenade again. So now it's up to the internet to tell me what the fuck even happens in the good ending as I'm not about to spend another 9+ hours to beat this game start to finish again.

In conclusion, I love the single player game for its gameplay, but the story and everything surrounding the game is retarded. Luckily, gameplay is all that really matters here.

YOUR THOUGHTS.

Shifty is probably a spambot
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 03:48 PM       
I find it fun. the only bad part i have noticed about the game is the sword fighting. its not really responsive to me. and at points of nothing going on it lags, and at points with big explosions it runs awesome. But i like the gameplay and i enjoy it. The multiplayer is quiet fun to play. only tried 2 people not 4.

Cliff burton Gotta love the best metal bassist to get crushed by a bus.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 04:20 PM       
looking forward to getting this, the shooting looks kinda fun, even if it is more awkward looking than other games.

reminds me of trespasser, the Jurassic park FPS, which i got a year or two ago and quite enjoyed :P

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:38 PM       
Shifty, did you try setting the sword sensitivity to short movements? After I did that, most of the moves would work fine.

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
Shifty, did you try setting the sword sensitivity to short movements? After I did that, most of the moves would work fine.

No i havent ill try that out. thanks.

was never good
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:49 PM       
No problem. How is your illegitimate bastard child liking the Wii so far?
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:50 PM       
Quote:
I'm loving it AND Red Steel thanks for asking.

it's just the plot and storytelling sucks, I love the gameplay.

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:55 PM       
Quote:

he likes zelda thats for sure. he still cant grasp the concept of hitting A. but he will soon thats for sure!

EDIT:

The settings changed helped alot. sword play is quiet fun. thanks chojin.

was never good
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM       
Had a couple of friends over last night and schimid suggested as a joke that we play some RED STEEL together.

God damn is this game fun in multiplayer. Seriously. I kept terrifying Schimid by crawling into all of his hidey-holes as THE MASKED MAN, and the other guy was playing as DINOBOY and making some hilarious movements. The way your character looks around when you're aiming all about is lol. I once rolled a grenade off of the dojo roof and it landed right in dinoboy's lap. Headshots are king.

I would go on, but I'm already not interested enough in posting to make my description of last night's festivities interesting.

Point being, if you have 2 or 3 friends who aren't named Zomboid and who liked Goldeneye back in the day, pick this up and try out the multiplayer.

Oh, and turning the remote's sound off stops the cursor from going crazy.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM       
i wanted to try it but the day i went to rent it they removed it to add more copies of mario kart

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:16 PM       
I remember wanting to play this game, but then I saw this:
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/8021

Matter of fact, that video damn near made me dismiss the Wii all together.
...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:00 PM       
Woah, Broken Pixels did a video on Red Steel? How'd I miss that one?

Anyway, Red Steel rubs me in all the wrong ways, and after playing Metroid with its sublime controls, I've never had a reason to play it. Supposedly they were developing a sequel, but I haven't heard anything lately.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:29 PM       
if any FPS on the wii didn't use similar controls to corruption, then i can't see it being any good