Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2003, 01:06 PM        Re: spoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthlessLiar
SPOILER
He's going to use the spoon to kill Agent Smith.
Haha, wouldn't that be funny?

That said though, it does remind me that we shouldn't be too critical of unresolved plot threads or things that seemingly don't make complete sense...yet. If they leave a bunch of shit unresolved by the end of the THIRD movie, then it's time to get annoyed.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2003, 01:23 PM       
Is it just me, or is the rebel Agent Smith the most badass villain EVER? I mean, when like 7 of his copies cracked thier necks.. I was just like "Wow, dude. That's badass"
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2003, 01:36 PM       
your sarcasm fails to amuse me.
Banned
Old May 17th, 2003, 01:47 PM       
Uh, I wasn't being sarcastic, stupid.
Old May 17th, 2003, 01:52 PM       
yes you were.
Banned
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:01 PM       
I could see how it could be read as sarcastic, with the "I mean". But that's just how type things out, it wasn't sarcasm. As soon as I saw that scene, I cracked my neck to be cool like Mr. Smith.
:rolleyes
Mister Sarcastic is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:03 PM       
Only one person can be sarcastic around here

FS is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:09 PM       
I'm surprised so many people found this movie inferior and even in parts bothersome. I tend to be more blown away by big spectacles seen in theatres than when I catch them on TV, which might taint my opinion, but still.

AW HECK, JUST SKIP THE REST OF THIS POST IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HIT A SPOILER.

I thought the deepening of the story with the Oracle and other beings in the Matrix being explained as independant programs was great. I'd have to watch the movie a second time to ensure that I fully understood the explanations of the Architect, but what I understood of it now is that Zion is as much part of the great system/plan of the Machines as the Matrix is. I liked that. I feel the story has come a great length with this movie - in the first one it was more simplified, with Neo as a Jesus that would set everything straight.

Since the Architect suggested that the One is more like a human program than a messiah, my take on Neo stopping the Sentinels is that he's rising above himself. He's becoming the One in the real world, something which will probably be left more up to spirituality to explain than to the tricks of Agent Smith or the Matrix itself. No doubt he will be able to jack into the Matrix without use of his neckplug in the next movie. I suppose the next movie will be all about Neo defeating Agent Smith to save everyone still in the Matrix from getting killed when the 24 hours run out.

The action scenes: I thought Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a bore and I've never cared for most flavors of Japanimation, but I was blown away. Sure, it was over the top and crazy, and you could tell by the movements it wasn't all real stuntwork, but I just tried to keep my jaw from dropping into my lap. The clone fight, the fight in the hall with the art and weaponry, the freeway chase - I loved it all. And inbetween, I liked the story plenty.

I guess my idea that this movie was great for everyone was wrong, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. My only thought now is that they've laid the bar pretty damn high for the next movie.
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:19 PM       
n00b, you were yet again being sarcastic, and FS, you're absolutely right.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:43 PM       
I'm supprised I was the only one who thought the Trinity and Neo love thing was fucking cheesey
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:21 PM       
No, believe it or not, I thought that too. It seemed more like it belonged in a different movie. I don't mind love scenes, but the whole "dance/Trinity and Neo Get It ON!" scene struck me as gratuitous. The pacing of the movie was haphazardly and despite that I still liked it, but this scene was really fucking pointless. Even if I felt inclined to agree as earlier stated that the spoon scene was unnecessary, I would've included it over the dance scene.

And indeed, Morpheus with a katana

FS is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:25 PM       
IF YOU DON'T WANT THE MOVIE SPOILED FOR YOU WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS THREAD, MOTARD?

Does anyone know if the albino Twins will be in Matrix:Revolutions too? They were blown up with their car, but if I remember correctly they were just launched into the air by the explosion.
Banned
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:47 PM       
SPOILER, HONKEY

Uh, I'm not sure. It looks as if their ghastly versions turned orange/black and were flailing in agony as the flames consumed them. But, they were passing through shit, so why wouldn't they be able to pass through an explosion?
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:10 PM       
SPOILER

There is more than one matrix. There are six altogether. Or even more. Rember when the maker of the matrix was saying that there were five glitches before neo? Well they all took the door that restarted everything aside from the matrix it's self. The Matrix was programmed after how neo lived and stuff like that. So i'm guessing that all of the Matrix's were programmed after 'the ones'. I don't understand about neo stopping the sentinals, but the real world also must be another Matrix. Don't those ghost twins look like Milli Vanilli? This movie is to deep to comprehend.

FeuerAffe is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2003, 01:53 AM       
The albino twins rocked.

FS is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2003, 03:27 AM       
Hickman, I'm not sure if I'm right about this, but my understanding was that the other Matrixes - or Matrices - he was talking about were the previous versions of the Matrix, among which the very first one that failed because it was too perfect. Basically, everytime a prophecized One arises and causes the downfall of that Matrix to give rise to a new, more perfected one.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2003, 07:13 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongi
However, the whole dance scene and blending in neo and trinity having sex almost made me want to leave the theater. What the fuck was that?
Sexual energy is the most positive energy that could ever come out of a human's body. What you saw was a beautiful thing. I wonder what it's like to have sex with the One.

Johnny Horton is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2003, 08:50 AM       
SPOILER

The Matrix is about layers of complexity, layers of choice. Here is what I think is truly behind the Matrix.

Zion is not a free city. It is another part of the Matrix. Our heroes in the first and second movies have never really left the Matrix. They just think they did. You can see this in the second movie when Neo holds up his hand and stops the sentinels after stating, "Something's different." He has finally awoken to the fact that "the real world", is not actually the real world after all. It is yet another computer simulation.

The old man, the architect, gave it away when he said that human existence was all about choice. Free will, in other words. The machines wanted to develop a way to control the humans, so they developed a system that gave humans the choice to be enslaved. As the architect pointed out, 99.9% of all humans accepted the choice. However, anomalies arose... 0.1% of humans didn't accept the choice of conforming to the Matrix. As the Oracle stated, the Matrix is simply one system built using a bunch of other systems. So, in order to control the 0.1% anomalies who rebel against the system, the architect reveals that they developed another control system - that is, the control system of "The One."

Also the architect states that the mathematical anomaly for "the One" is a program that they use to control. So essentially "The One" is a program in the simulation.

There were six "The One" predecessors before Neo. The architect matter of factly states this, and the French Merryl Lynch guy confirms it earlier in the movie when he repeatedly states that "your predecessors didn't kill me, and you won't either."

"The One" control system was designed to eliminate the 0.1% anomaly of all humans who choose not to accept the Matrix. How does the Matrix eliminate the 0.1% anomaly? - By providing them with another choice, the choice to live or the choice to die.

The architect points out that "The One" chooses thirty two people and then they all go and basically repopulate Zion. "The One" is set up to force a choice to accept going to Zion and repopulating it. Why? Because the machines destroy the existing Zion, and if "The One" doesn't go repopulate, then the human race will be extinct. So, The One for six straight times has chosen to "save" the human race. But, what The Ones have really chosen is continued bondage to the machines. They have bought into the whole control system.

Unfortunately, what the makers of the Matrix can't control is the fact that of the 0.1% anomaly from the original choice, there is yet another 0.1% anomaly. So, the entire system that the architect has built (the original Matrix plus the Zion Matrix) accounts for the choices that 99.99% of all humans will make. There is still an anomaly of .01%.

Why is there an anomaly? - Because of choice. Choice is what Neo is presented with when he stands before the architect. Does Neo save the existence of the human race and repopulate Zion? Or, does Neo choose to save his love Trinity? 99.99% of all people won't ever make that choice (either through not having the chance or through not making it), but Neo does.

This is why he realizes that something is different in the "real world." This is why he can stop the machines, the sentinels. Because it is just another system. And as we learned in the first movie, you are bound within the rules of the system only as long as you don't realize that you can bend or break them.

This is why the little orphan boy who bent the spoons in the first movie sends Neo a spoon message in the second movie. It is to remind Neo that it is not the spoon who bends, but himself. He must bend to see through what the Matrix truly is.

The Matrix is about choice.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2003, 11:41 AM       
Hey, that's great. Here's what I think:

The Matrix is a movie with neat action sequences, followed by long periods of psychobabble delivered by actors who were told that they absolutely must not show any emotion whatsoever. Such is the Matrix.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2003, 12:12 PM       
Johnny, I am impressed. That was a very well-written, thought provoking explanation. I think you're absolutely right.
Mocker

Captain Robo is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2003, 01:23 PM       
SPOILER ALERT

It's sad how Trinity dies

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2003, 01:52 PM       
as far as "religious" ideas go..The first matrix left me with a heavy christianity/buddist impression. This matrix seemed like it tried to go past christianity (neo is only human. Disturbed by being treated as a deity, and later rejecting that notion all together.). It still seemed to retain buddist ideas, but seemed to move on to some freemasonry (the architect obviously.. but I think there was more than that to it. Maybe the whole speach about machines and humans "we need them, they need us". And posssibly because he seems to be on his 3rd rebirth now)
I need to see it several more times though. And hard to say much without seeing all 3 movies yet

anyway onto something else, being the geek I am... I thought the way they did the backdoors was pretty funny

FS is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2003, 03:14 PM       
Boogie, I agree that they could've balanced the emotion shown in and out of the Matrix a little better (Morpheus' speech seemed a bit... insane?), but it's not much different from the first movie. When people are hooked into the Matrix, apparently they have to act like asexual robots.

Johnny's analogy is pretty solid. I'm doubting my theory now.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old May 18th, 2003, 08:53 PM       
(possible spoilers? meh, you should have seen it by now anyay!)

I have to say, I fucking loved this movie. I've already seen it twice and I'm still ready to see it again. From the beginning, I wasn't expecting to be able to "relate" to it as much as I could to the first one. A lot of people liked the first one so much because it was something that really hit home with a lot of us...

It stated out with a guy working a horrible, mindless job and he finds himself thinking, "this can't be all that there is to life"... and then he finds out that indeed there is much more. That's why it was so easy to relate to. This new one couldn't possibly be as easy to relate to because he's already gone through all of that stuff and now the story is progressing. Minus a few cheesy moments (ie: the drawn-out love scene) I love what they did with the story. And holy shit, the action in this movie was just badass. The big battle between Neo and Agent Smith was great... yeah you could tell during some parts that it was CGI, but other parts of it you simply couldn't tell that it was computer generated. All in all, it was a great sequence. And then the big fight in the hall when Neo picked up a pair of SAI, goddamn... I was so happy to see that.

And then there was the big freeway battle... I swear, I have never seen a better action sequence in my entire life. That entire sequence was just too perfect. It's really surprising too, because you'd think the scenes with Neo ("The One") would be the most amazing ones. Definitely nice to see the other characters kicking ass.

In conclusion, I don't care what any reviewer thinks of the movie... it was fucking great and I can't wait for the next one. A fight between Neo and Agent Smith in the rain! That right there is an action movie fan's wet dream.

-RoG-
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:16 AM       
I thought it was pretty visually stimulating. An entertaining ride...

spolier

...but I would like to hear Mr. Sarcastic's thoughts on the cave rave scene.