Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Julio is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM       
When I as a kid I used to read comics quite a lot, even though I never got any special degree of insight about their true quality. These days I mostly read an old collection of comic srtips (Calvin & Hobbes being my favorite) as well as other local ones that are published on the local newspapers (my favorite one being Trino).

Commanderraf: Being that you are a fellow Mexican, do you think that you can give me advice about a good way to start reading comic books again?
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM       
Aries: It's coming soon. Within the next month or two for sure.

Poxpower: You have NO idea, dude. Roger is right. I could own my own island by now. But what would I have to READ on the island without comics??

Tetsu Deinonychus: I was reading Superman/Batman for a while (probably the first 30 issues) but I lost interest in it sometime after that and dropped it. Too many crappy stories in a row.

KanyonKreist: Go back and give Iron Fist another chance. Seriously. The book hasn't lost ANY momentum at all since Brubaker and Fraction left.

Relaxing Dragon: Yep, the last issue of 100 Bullets came out the same day this article posted. Great book. Not quite sure about the ending though.

hisholiness: I have to admit that I've not yet checked out The Walking Dead. I read a shitload of comics but that is one I've not checked out yet. I've heard lots of good things though.

MallardMan: Booster Gold almost made my list, but I think it'd be pretty inaccessible to someone unfamiliar with the DC Universe. And I had to draw a line somewhere. I read the current Jonah Hex book for about the first 20 issues or so, but I had to drop it because I was spending too much money. Might start trade collecting that one though.

Nick and Icculus: Believe me, I hear ya. I'm starting to trade wait for some books (like Conan) now myself. I like to support the industry as much as I can though, so I buy a lot of issues monthly and then I sell them on eBay later and then swap out for the trades. Some books I sell over what I paid, some under, but on the whole I think I break fairly even.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I hope you check out some of those books and that you aren't disappointed!
The Magnificent Bastard
Tetsu Deinonychus is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper
And to Tetsu: Check out Les Bijoux (I have a feeling I'm butchering the spelling) if you haven't already. It's the same artist as Tarot Cafe (which is a fab book, too!) I Luv Halloween is just...wrong on so many levels (but I find myself flipping through it anyway.) and Bizenghast needs to come out quicker, dammit!
I've heard good things about Les Bijoux. I'll definitely have to check it out.

And, I Luv Halloween is so wrong it's right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxpower
Warning to everyone: DO NOT BUY HEAVY METAL MAGAZINE.
Unless you like paintings of hot women doing things like riding motorcycles, cutting off the heads of ogres and kissing lesbian cyborgs.

The stories are shit though.
Actually, the stories range from awesome (like John Buscamares, and Awakenings) to awesomely bad (like The Kiss), but I'm usually pretty amused by them. And, there's almost always one really good story, and at least one "so bad it's good" story per issue. I dig it!

Of course, all the sexy sci-fi-girl paintings you mentioned don't hurt, either.
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
I've heard good things about Les Bijoux. I'll definitely have to check it out.

And, I Luv Halloween is so wrong it's right!

Actually, the stories range from awesome (like John Buscamares, and Awakenings) to awesomely bad (like The Kiss), but I'm usually pretty amused by them. And, there's almost always one really good story, and at least one "so bad it's good" story per issue. I dig it!

Of course, all the sexy sci-fi-girl paintings you mentioned don't hurt, either.
It's a good story, but too short, in my opinion. It's five issues long (or 6. Man, the memory *is* the first thing to go...) but they skip a lot between the next to last book and the last. Not so much skip as...fast forward, I guess you could say, and I get the impression it's the type of stories I'd have liked to read. (I enjoy the whole "gathering of the fellowship" type of thing and discovery of powers type stories.)

As for Heavy Metal, gods, I haven't leafed through one of those seriously since I was in college. Now and then, I'll flip through them to check out the art, but lately nothing past the covers has really grabbed me.
RevengeVirus is probably a spambot
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 10:02 PM       
Outside of my hatred for that Godless Femi-nazi Joss Whedon, I dig just about all of these right now.

also, I throw X-factor along with Captain Britain and MI13 in there as well.
Clobbersaurus
King Credo is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM       
I got a girlfriend so I had to unsubscribe to all but two series. I wish you made this article when I could buy more than just Deadpool and The Sword.
The Magnificent Bastard
Tetsu Deinonychus is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:46 PM       
Why does having a girlfriend mean you had to drop all those comics?

Is she telling you what to read?
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 04:01 AM       
Could be that Credo's spending most of the comic money on her *laughs* At least, I hope that's the case and she's not making you give up comics.
Forum Virgin
mrpointy22 is probably a spambot
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM       
Kudos, on mentioning Buffy. The comic is great and the TV show is untouchable.

Copper: As for the Buffy, I will admit to not recognizing Xander at first, but it was a pleasant surprise.

'Cause of the numerous other characters who wear any eye patch?
Forum Virgin
hobbsend is probably a spambot
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM       
Well done on a damn fine list Proto! I can not thank you enough for including Fables as part of your list, and I'd add onto that the series that took off from Fables, Tales of Jack
Forum Virgin
hobbsend is probably a spambot
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM       
Well done on a damn fine list Proto! I can not thank you enough for including Fables as part of your list, and I'd add onto that the series that took off from Fables, Tales of Jack