Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Sports & Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:04 AM        Sports rivarlies
Post the sport teams rivarlies, may it be your favorite team or most hated team, that you love to watch...

i think you all know what mine is

despite the babe ruth curse, i have respect for the new york yankees and their history up until the time george steinbrenner took over and corrupted the team, although one of my all time favorite players, reggie jackson, played under steinbrenner and coach billy martin. my profound hatred for the yankees began in 1983 when dave righetti made me cry after he pitched a no hitter against the sox when he struck out the last batter, wade boggs.

other rivarlies i enjoy watching are bruins vs habs and celtics vs lakers/pistons in which these rivarlies still exists today. i miss watching new york knicks (and spike lee) play the chicago bulls and indy pacers in postseasons back in the 90's.
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:41 AM       
Orioles vs. Rays. I'm serious:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...rivalry/080430

It's lonely being a Maryland sports fan. Maryland teams don't really have any knockdown, dragout rivals. The Heels have the Blue Devils. The Sox have the Yanks. The Steelers have the Cowboys.

...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM       
Cowboys-Steelers???? What are you smokin'? They play each other what, once every four years? Some rivalry.

Try the three interdivisional teams: Cowboys-Eagles; Cowboys-Giants; and my personal favorite, Cowboys-Redskins. All three are legitimate rivalries, but the last is my vote for the best in the NFL.

PS - I don't particularly like the Redskins, but I detest the Cowboys.
You may already be there.
Oozes machismo
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM       
http://greatsportsrivalries.com/steelers.html

I'm smoking crack-cocaine, but that doesn't change the fact the Cowboys and Steelers have storied rivalry that *gasp* most often has taken place on the grandest stage; not unlike the Celtics and Lakers. How old are you again?
...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:26 PM       
In case you haven't realized by now, i'm a big Minnesota homer, so here I go!

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin for Paul Bunyan's Axe:

The is the longest and most played rivalry in Divison 1A football, dating back to 1890. The Axe didn't come into play until 1948. Unfortunately, those damn Badgers have won the last 4 contests and I can't see the Gophers getting it back untill 2009 at the earliest.

Minnesota vs. Iowa for Floyd of Rosedale:

This one goes back to 1935 and is always heated. Somehow Hawkeye fans manage to drive their tractors up I-35 to the big city of Minneapolis whenever the game is played there.

Vikings vs. Packers:
Cheeseheads are bad. Green Bay fans are fat. Brett favre is a crybaby boozehound pill popper. Skol Vikings!

Minnesota vs. Michigan in the Battle for the Little Brown Jug:

The Battle for the Little Brown Jug dates back to 1903. Michigan fans don't concern themselves with this game too much as they have a wide lead in overall wins, but this game is always big for Minnesotans.

I'm also quite fond of Twins vs. White Sox, Michigan vs. Ohio State, Minnesota vs. U of North Dakota (hockey), and Minnesota vs. Minnesota-Duluth (hockey).
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:14 PM       
Pacman, I'm just sayin' that it's hard to maintain a great "rivalry" if you only play the other team every few years. And according to the web page you reference, the more appropriate rivalry would be the Steelers vs the Browns.

I'm (probably) older than you.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:49 PM       
He's right, a true sports rivalry would be a yearly affair, the Steelers-Cowboys games of the 70s are classic matchups like Lakers-Celtics in the 80s or the Yankees-Dodgers in the 50s, but they aren't rivalries in the strict sense of the word.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:33 PM       
Steelers v. Browns. Hands down.
Oozes machismo
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:17 PM       
I'll just go back to smoking my crack cocaine.
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
It's lonely being a Maryland sports fan. Maryland teams don't really have any knockdown, dragout rivals.

Don't the Ravens and Browns bitterly hate each other? Or is that more of a one sided afair with fat Browns fans forever pissed at the Ravens?
Oozes machismo
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:23 PM       
I've never heard it called a rivalry, but that fucking field goal game made me hate the fuck out of the refs.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 12:14 AM       
Detroit Red Wings vs. Everyone Else

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 12:36 AM       
Philadelphia vs. Anyone not wearing a Philly jersey.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 08:55 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
Philadelphia vs. Anyone not wearing a Philly jersey.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 12:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat View Post
Don't the Ravens and Browns bitterly hate each other? Or is that more of a one sided afair with fat Browns fans forever pissed at the Ravens?
It's more that we are forever pissed at Art Modell. That and we are bitter that they won the Super Bowl shortly after moving to Baltimore. That should have been out team of gangstas, rapists, murderers, and mafia thugs winning the Super Bowl, not Baltimore's
Beloved Cunt
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 12:29 PM       
Don't forget the big fat italian loudmouth Tony Siragusa!
Oozes machismo
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 03:11 PM       
At least Cleveland got their franchise and franchise history back.

Baltimoreans to this day can't fucking stand the name Jim Irsay.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat View Post
Don't forget the big fat italian loudmouth Tony Siragusa!
I didn't. I did say "mafia thugs" didn't I?
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 10:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
Baltimoreans to this day can't fucking stand the name Jim Irsay.
Then Baltimore vs Indianapolis should be a pretty good rivalry. What's the scoop on this?
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 10:02 PM       
I can't believe I forgot the Packers/Vikings - I knew a guy who lived and died by the results of these two games every stinking year.

Edit - Sorry WR, I missed the two lines you dedicated to this one in-between all your JPEGs!

Last edited by Colonel Flagg : Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Reread thread for comprehension
Beloved Cunt
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM       
I put the pics up so those in the dark could see what the trophies look like. I only gave the Vikes/Pack 2 lines because really, what more do I need to say about the rivalry? All you need to know is right there.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM       
Maybe so, but for my co-worker it was gleeful bashing of all the lunatic packer fans if the Vikes won, or enduring weeks of spite and vitriol from those same Cheese-heads if the Pack won. It was even tougher for him since he spent a great deal of time in Appleton, WI. I often wondered how he made it out alive.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:31 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
Then Baltimore vs Indianapolis should be a pretty good rivalry. What's the scoop on this?
As I recall the times they have played it has been a pretty big deal
Oozes machismo
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:37 AM       
I missed it entirely. Though it won't go down on ESPN as a great rivalry, to anybody who knew and loved the Colts as a Baltimore franchise, Colts vs. Ravens is a rivalry. Only because that's our fucking team god damn you Irsay and fuck you too John Elway.