Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Red, dead meat!
Carnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:09 AM        Return of the King
I just got back from the midnight showing and, no great shock here, it was an amazing cinematic experience. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields is, beyond the shadow of a doubt, the greatest battle sequence ever. The story is mostly true to the books, but there were some elements missing. Hopefully, they'll be found in the extended editions. I'll spare the spoilers for now. Despite the gradeur of events at Minas Tirith, Frodo and Sam's story doesn't become a side-show, and it's not at all disappointing when they leave the battle to check their progress. All in all, the expected fantastic conclusion to a fantastic trilogy. Not to get my sore ass into bed. I'll comment more later.
Daphne is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 05:08 AM       
I just got back from a midnight show too, and my ass is as sore as yours, I bet. Very fucking good, I hope he wins the Oscar for this one, he really, really deserves it. As long as it was, I can't wait for the extended dvd. I don't want to spoil anything either, so I hope everyone sees it soon
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 06:44 AM       
FAGS
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 08:18 AM       
This movie is so hyped up I'll be crying from disappointment when I get around to see it.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 10:22 AM       
I'm going at 3:10 this afternoon. I'm going to cry like a baby I'm sure
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 12:07 PM       
I DON'T GET TO SEE IT FOR A FEW DAYS BECAUSE I HAVE EXAMS.
PonchtheJedi is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 01:48 PM        Oh yeah
It was so good that when I got to my car afterwards I was suprised that it was three and a half hours long.
Red, dead meat!
Carnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 02:02 PM       
It will definitely make most people cry. I got watery-eyed a few times. It was emotionally-charged and visually stunning. The more I think about the missing elements, however, the more they annoy me. I'm just going to post the two things that disappoint me most.

Faramir may as well have not been in the movie. After he's saved from the funeral pyre, he doesn't even appear until the very end where he's seen merely standing next to Eowyn. The two of them don't exchange a single word in the entire movie.

Saruman doesn't even appear! They merely say he's holed up in Isengard and Treebeard will watch him. He doesn't exchange words with Gandalf. Wormtongue doesn't throw the palantir out the window, Pippen merely finds it in a puddle.

I seriously hope they remedy these in the extended edition, but the movie was still incredible despite these shortcomings of which only people who read the books will be aware.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 02:25 PM        Re: Return of the King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore
I just got back from the midnight showing and, no great shock here, it was an amazing cinematic experience. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields is, beyond the shadow of a doubt, the greatest battle sequence ever. The story is mostly true to the books, but there were some elements missing. Hopefully, they'll be found in the extended editions. I'll spare the spoilers for now. Despite the gradeur of events at Minas Tirith, Frodo and Sam's story doesn't become a side-show, and it's not at all disappointing when they leave the battle to check their progress. All in all, the expected fantastic conclusion to a fantastic trilogy. Not to get my sore ass into bed. I'll comment more later.
frodo and sam become anything BUT a sideshow. i like sam about 500 times more after seeing this film.

as for the entire movie trilogy, i shake my head whenever i think of how unbelivably powerful and outstanding it is. too goddamned brilliant. third movie was more than ace... i cant even find the word for it right now...the catapult scene, the legolas/mumakil scene, the dead army scene, eowyn/wiki fight, it was more than epic, it unbelievable. somehow fucking great movies such as these cause an "asshole" reaction where one feels the NEED to find something wrong. if parts of the book are missing and you feel vaguely slighted, thats fine, but dont, DONT bitch about the film itself. you're not going to find anything better than what we've seen here in terms of book adaptation, storytelling, and passion. this will be see again, and i'll be hanging on still, because it was so fucking well done.

Snatchtastic is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 03:26 PM        .
What a movie! There was absolutly no dissapointment with this amazing piece of 3 hour eye candy. I couldn't have hoped for anything better. No words can describe it for me now!!!

The Grey Havens :cry

Although nothings better than Eowyn challenging the Witch King.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 03:31 PM       
that was so badass it boosted eowyns character (who was always one dimensional :/ ) into legitimacy.

McWorld is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 03:56 PM       
What a great movie the only thing that puzzled me was the focus on the orc with no fingers (the one that looked like Sloth) was he the one wearing the ring in the first, they cut to his hand to show it clearly, was he the embodiment of Sauron?
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:02 PM       
***VERY MINOR SPOILER BUT NOT REALLY ONLY IF YOU LIKE TO BE SURPRISED ABOUT EVERYTHING ROLLEYES***

??

are you talking about wiki? rode a nazgul that got it's head cut off?
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:04 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez
that was so badass it boosted eowyns character (who was always one dimensional :/ ) into legitimacy.

She was always a legitimate character. *SPOILER*

She was pissed that she was left behind and she masqueraded as a man to fight with the army anyway and then she saved the day and was a hero and all that fun stuff. What more character development did you need? A complicated love interest?

EDIT: Oh, and they better have had Merry stab the dude in the foot, too. That was the best part of the book.
McWorld is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez
***VERY MINOR SPOILER BUT NOT REALLY ONLY IF YOU LIKE TO BE SURPRISED ABOUT EVERYTHING ROLLEYES***

??

are you talking about wiki? rode a nazgul that got it's head cut off?

No the orc that looked like Sloth from the Goonies not the Witch King
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:28 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez

She was always a legitimate character. *SPOILER*

She was pissed that she was left behind and she masqueraded as a man to fight with the army anyway and then she saved the day and was a hero and all that fun stuff. What more character development did you need? A complicated love interest?

EDIT: Oh, and they better have had Merry stab the dude in the foot, too. That was the best part of the book.
sounds to me from that last bit you posted you havent seen the movie yet. come on though, IN THE MOVIES, this give her credence, other than that beforehand she was there to show women fight and be inspired along with hundreds others and engage in unrequited adoration for aragorn. she needed to be in the movie, for everyone's sake, but she was flat... until then...oh my.

and mcworld... i think it was just the lead orc who had to distinguish himself from the others :/

could be wrong.
Lurker extreme
Maverick Zero Unit is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:38 PM       
Ha, I saw all three movies last night, The Fellowship and Two Towers special extended versions, plus Return of the King started at about 10:00! Ha I saw it before all of you!
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:41 PM       
oh well!

once you see it, it doesnt really matter when you did :/

besides, it all depends on what time zone you're in.
Lurker extreme
Maverick Zero Unit is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:53 PM       
Eastern Standerd
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:58 PM       
I sure hope that this gets an Oscar for best movie and not another gay musical. I didn't see it yet, because I didn't reserve tickets because I'm a loser (). I am probobally going to go see it on Friday. I was humming the theme all during school today quietly.
If it's even half as good as the second one, which it will be better, I know, I will be the happiest boy in dee world.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 05:37 PM       
Nope, I haven't seen it yet. I meant she was plenty interesting in the book.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 06:04 PM       
fucking christ, I haven't seen this yet but SPOILERS

WTF they leave out the part at the end where Saruman has taken over the Shire? That's the best fucking part, you jerks. I mean come on

-willie
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 08:22 PM       
I just got back and I fucking LOVED it. Sure, I was disappointed to see things were cut out from the theatrical version (Saruman, the Mouth of Sauron, the Houses of Healing, etc...and the Scouring of the Shire was never filmed so I wasn't disappointed because I did not expect it in the first place) but for me the definitive version will certainly be the extended one. I got the sense (much as I did with Two Towers) that a LOT of scenes were cut and/or shortened, and it did feel rushed at times.

Despite all that, the movie was EXCELLENT and I know that the Extended version will kick this one's ass into next week (as has been the case in all of the movies).

I got a bit misty eyed in some parts myself, and I'm not afraid to say it.

Oh and Willie, you will be happy to know that the "sneaking" conversation with Gollum was in the movie practically word for word.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 08:43 PM       
well that makes up for it ALMOST

SPOILIES

but they could almost make another entire movie just about the scouring of the Shire maybe they WILL

they left it out of the (gay) cartoon version too
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 10:11 PM       
Reading all the spoilers in this thread has ruined the movie for me.