Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:39 PM        Mac OS X
So, it seems quite likely that I'll be signing up with a company that's going to give me a top-of-the-line MacBook Pro. They are EXTREMELY anti-PC, and seem to favor Macs way over Linux or whatever else is available. I've used the new Mac operating systems maybe twice before, and I was just wondering how you recommend I get acquainted with it. Before I get the computer, I was thinking I might go and play with some Mac desktops available at the University library. What all should I look at and practice?

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 03:32 PM       
There's not all that much to learn actually. You should be an expert with it in a couple of weeks or less. A couple of things that come to mind:

- Shortcut keys: the Command/Apple button is usually used as the Control button is on Windows keyboards. Check out this list: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

- The minimize, maximize and close buttons are on the left and behave a little differently. Close closes the window, but the application is still loaded. You have to quit it from the menu (or Apple+Q). Maximize doesn't make a window take up the full screen space. Instead, it maximizes it to the space it needs (i.e. no scrollbars).

- If it's not enabled by default, enable the two-finger right click/scrolling on your trackpad.

That's all that comes to mind. If you run into anything specific let me know.

Cue the anti-Mac trolls.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM       
I bought my wife an I-Mac and really so far I'm not impressed. If you have spent any time on a PC a Mac is ass backward's as though someone handed you a left handed guitar and swears once you get it down it's much better. My customer/friend lets me take it back anytime we have a problem and we need to take it back again with a list of things that just don't seem to work properly. The computer I'm using is one I built for $500 bucks compared to the $1500 I-mac and yes the I-mac has some pretty cool programs that my kids love and yes the I-mac does look better and it's cool....but I keep going back to my PC to do things that need to get done and not fuck around trying to figure out why or how some nerd came up with "a better way" of doing certain things that nerds do. Give me a Mac in ten years and I might change my mind.

Oh and if you read this Soundtest I've been in a band for a month now and it's going very well...bought a SWR LA 15 Bass amp that sounds great
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:42 PM       
Macs are definately the easiest of all computers to use. It's been a while since I've used one, but if you've used a PC all your life, you'll feel yourself right-clicking in vain. That's the worst problem in my eyes.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM       
My opinion is definitely the correct one. This sentence seems like it might be related, but it's not. In closing, I suck.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:55 PM       
You really are a Moot Monster :/
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM       
that's the fartin i know and love
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM       
I unbanned you, didn't I?
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 07:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero
Macs are definately the easiest of all computers to use. It's been a while since I've used one, but if you've used a PC all your life, you'll feel yourself right-clicking in vain. That's the worst problem in my eyes.
Macs have supported right click for years.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 07:14 PM       
Well, I guess my only gripe would be the fact that I'm prejudiced against Mac for some reason. The last time I used a Mac was in the fourth grade. It's been a while, to say the least. I'll have to give them another go.

Macs are very easy to use, I mean very, very easy.

Do they still have that button in the top left corner that turns the window into nothing but a floating title bar? I never saw the point in it, but that's just me.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 07:17 PM       
if i'm spending money on a NEW computer, pcs get my vote every day, if only for the money to usability factor

i'm not gonna say "I'LL NEVER USE A MAC OMG THEY R SUX" cause they aren't, they're just not cost-effective in my opinion
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:35 PM       
Has there ever been a Mac topic posted on the internet that didn't have a PC user completely ignore the point of the thread and give their opinion that nobody asked for? I'm gonna start replying to Windows posts like that:

"My computer is real slow ever since I installed this blasterworm2000 game. Anybody know how to fix this?"

"Yea, I've used Windows before and I think it's alright. My only gripe is you have run as Admin to do anything. Good for gaming though."

was never good
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:59 PM       
haha :<