Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Miss Modular Miss Modular is offline
Little Monster
Miss Modular's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Haus of Gaga
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:18 PM        Michael Moore to make movie about Katrina
I dunno about this one. Do we really need Michael Moore to reiterate what's already been said?

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...na%20on%20film

MOORE TO CAPTURE KATRINA ON FILM

Controversial film-maker MICHAEL MOORE is planning to make a hard-hitting documentary based on US President GEORGE W BUSH's handling of the Hurricane Katrina rescue operation.

Moore grabbed international acclaim with his scathing 2004 film FAHRENHEIT 9/11, which studied Bush's handling of the September 11th (01) terrorist attacks.

The Oscar winner is now "seriously considering" documenting the catastrophe in America's Gulf Coast region.

He tells the New York Daily News, "There is much to be said and done about the man-made annihilation of New Orleans, caused not by a hurricane but by the very specific decisions made by the Bush administration in the past four and a half years.

"Do not listen to anyone who says we can discuss all this later. No, we can't. Our country is in an immediate state of vulnerability.

"More hurricanes, wars, and other disasters are on the way, and a lazy bunch of self-satisfied lunatics are still running the show."
__________________
Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!!!: http://notready4primetime.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Zero Signal Zero Signal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: /dev/null
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:03 PM       
An open letter to Bush from Moore about Katrina:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/me...ate=2005-09-02
__________________
I-Mockery Forums: Turn-based stupidity in a real-time world
Reply With Quote
  #3  
CaptainBubba CaptainBubba is offline
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 03:12 AM       
I swear when I first looked at the title article it said, "MOORE TO CAPITALIZE ON KATRINA". Man, I guess it was just my eyes. :/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
VinceZeb VinceZeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 06:35 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBubba
I swear when I first looked at the title article it said, "MOORE TO CAPITALIZE ON KATRINA". Man, I guess it was just my eyes. :/
No, you read it right.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
kellychaos kellychaos is offline
Mocker
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Where I Started But In A Different Place
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 12:15 PM       
Capitalism in the guise of liberalism. Punk. Whatever.
__________________

Wherever you go, there you are.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
El Blanco El Blanco is offline
Mocker
El Blanco's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 02:21 PM       
Quote:
Controversial film-maker MICHAEL MOORE is planning to make a hard-hitting documentary
Man, thats a real loose defenition of the word.



Quote:
caused not by a hurricane but by the very specific decisions made by the Bush administration in the past four and a half years.
Yes, thats it. He shouldn't look at the role of all levels of government the last 30 some odd years. Make sure you go after Bush again.

Help the Republicans secure the 2006 and 2008 elections.


I'm not saying Bush hasn't contributed to this royal cluster fuck, but to make this "documentary" nothing more than a smear campaign against an administration thats on its way out in three years is going to do a great disservice to the people already victimized and those who will be in the future.

I can already hear the rich white hollywood film maker playing the race card and trying to protect that moron mayor and governor.
__________________
according to my mongoose, anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 02:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Quote:
Controversial film-maker MICHAEL MOORE is planning to make a hard-hitting documentary
Man, thats a real loose defenition of the word.
okay, i hate to do this, because I really don't have much of a dog in this fight, but Blanco, I'd like for you to tell me what are generally regarded as some of the greatest documentaries of all time, and then tell me how "non-partisan" and objective they were.

I can understand disliking Moore for his liberal (in the true sense of the word) use of facts. You and I had it out over that a while back, and I don't particularly feel like doing that again.

However, it really bothers me to see people jump on him as a documentarian, as if the style he used was not true to form. Well what the heck is the litmus test you're using? Should every documentary be like a special on crayfish that you'd see on PBS at 4:30 am???
Reply With Quote
  #8  
El Blanco El Blanco is offline
Mocker
El Blanco's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 07:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Quote:
Controversial film-maker MICHAEL MOORE is planning to make a hard-hitting documentary
Man, thats a real loose defenition of the word.
okay, i hate to do this, because I really don't have much of a dog in this fight, but Blanco, I'd like for you to tell me what are generally regarded as some of the greatest documentaries of all time, and then tell me how "non-partisan" and objective they were.
Honestly, I have no desire to drag this out right now, either, but I'll put it like this.

There is a difference between partisan (which is pretty much guarenteed when a human being is involved) and what he does. Partisan means you're showing things from your point of view and shining the light the way you want to.

What he does is butchering facts and ............. well, we agreed we won't do this.

Quote:
I can understand disliking Moore for his liberal (in the true sense of the word) use of facts. You and I had it out over that a while back, and I don't particularly feel like doing that again.
I think you're using the word "fact" rather liberally.

Quote:
However, it really bothers me to see people jump on him as a documentarian, as if the style he used was not true to form. Well what the heck is the litmus test you're using? Should every documentary be like a special on crayfish that you'd see on PBS at 4:30 am???
No, but they should be able to stand up to scrutiny. The maker should be able to say more than "oh, those are just whacko nazi republicans going after my work." He should be able to answer issues that shake the underlying principal of his work instead of just dismissing it as nitpicking.




Anyway, that was only part of my point and I'm willing to drop it.

My issue is he seems to be more interesting in sticking it to Bush (who does share a large portion of the blame) rather than actually figuring out how it actually happened and what can be done to fix it. It comes off as spitting bile and feeling self satisfied in pointing a finger rather than you know..........



SOLVING THE PROBLEM

And its not just Moore that does this. O'Reilly, Hannity, Franken and any other talking head on TV.
__________________
according to my mongoose, anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Ninjavenom Ninjavenom is offline
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 07:30 PM       
The fucking thing isn't even over yet >:O

fuck mike moore >:O
Reply With Quote
  #10  
the_dudefather the_dudefather is offline
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Trapped in a box by a cockney nutjob
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM       
watch micheal moore as he speculates on what the president is thinking based on absolutly nothing!

will it cost millions of dollors to make and 95% of it will be interviews and news footage?
__________________
Its only taken me about 10 years to understand the water jug riddle in Die hard with a Vengeance. My brain takes a while, but it gets there in the end

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Cybernetico Cybernetico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Location: Location: Location:Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:12 AM        Meh
I don't like it, I don't like it at all. I realize he may be educating people. though some of what he says is a bit biased, but it's all just to make money.

As soon as he starts making these things for the sake of spreading knowledge, and not for profit, I'll start listening. At least, he should donate a large amount of his personal earnings to the relief effort, y'know however he can help those who were hurt at whatever time he releases this thing.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
the_dudefather the_dudefather is offline
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Trapped in a box by a cockney nutjob
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 08:40 AM       
micheal moore: profiteering off national disasters and human misery!

something he accused george bush of doing in f:9/11
__________________
Its only taken me about 10 years to understand the water jug riddle in Die hard with a Vengeance. My brain takes a while, but it gets there in the end

Reply With Quote
  #13  
mburbank mburbank is offline
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: right behind you
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 01:35 PM       
I think this trumped up hatred of Michael Moore is like the trumped up hatred of Sean Penn in the article Eye Tie posted. A totally misplaced level of rage over small potatoes. Frankly I like Michael Moore, but that's neither here nor there. Even if for sake of argument I grant the very worst slant on Moore, he's a DOCUMENTARY FILM MAKER folks, and he's preaching to the choir. He's not a policy maer, his decisions don't effect peoples lives, no one ever got a paper cut because of him, let alone died. If you buy into a dislike of him that inspires emotions any greater than a passing thought, I would suggest you either haveanger management issues, or you are getting played.

It's like Limbuagh and Boortz. Yes, I dislike them and I think they are mean spirited douchebags. But so what? The assholes who find them inspiring don't trun into assholes because of them, they were already assholes. No big deal.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
WICKED WICKED is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NC
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 10:59 PM        Just the way of the wurld
If Mr. Moore wants to, nothing is going to stop him from making a Katrina movie. He makes movies, we write in forums. Different strokes, people, that's all it is. Personally, I think that if he is sincere, he should donate an assload of revenue from his film to the Red Cross or something.
__________________
"Of all the species in existence that act in mob mentality, only homo sapiens have the ability to destroy the planet."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Pub Lover Pub Lover is offline
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Mogadishu, Texas
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM       
But should he tell everyone that he donated all that money?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
No YouTube embeds in your sigs, poindexter.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
WICKED WICKED is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NC
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 11:25 PM        Donating
Well, let's look at it logically. If he donates the money and doesn't tell people, then all his detractors will have unlimited ammo to shoot him with. There will be vitually no reason to believe he made to movie for anything but the money. However, if he does tell the media about his donation, there will at least be serious doubt about the gold-digging motive, regardless of the truth.
__________________
"Of all the species in existence that act in mob mentality, only homo sapiens have the ability to destroy the planet."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Royal Tenenbaum Royal Tenenbaum is offline
Senior Member
Royal Tenenbaum's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Winterpeg
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM       
I think the best part about this thread is that everyone here (excluding a few morons) will go to the movie and probably enjoy it. I say hell yeah to Michael Moore making this film. If anything at least Bowling for Columbine and F 911 were entertaining. They're not in the league of Roger & Me, but they were still good movies. Better than another Stealth coming out in theatres.
__________________
"Well, I hear that Laurel Canyon is full of famous stars, But I hate them worse than lepers and I'll kill them in their cars."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Cosmo Electrolux Cosmo Electrolux is offline
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux's Avatar
Join Date: May 2001
Location: In your distant memory
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 12:40 PM       
I think it's hilarious that these cons get so bent out of shape over someone like Moore....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Rongi Rongi is offline
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: POOF
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 02:56 PM       
i personally enjoyed every moore film i've seen, but I just have one question. has moore ever donated any money to charities of any kind with the money he has made?
__________________
ill fuck that bitch so hard in 10 years she'll crack her back and remember my dick - kahljorn
Reply With Quote
  #20  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM       
OMG, WHO CARES!!?

I'll bet he has, but so what!? What is it with the latest craze of buying your opinions???
Reply With Quote
  #21  
mburbank mburbank is offline
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: right behind you
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 03:10 PM       
You're only saying that because you haven't given any money. How do I know? Simple. Jews have always had access to a data base showing who donated what to whom down to the last penny. It used to be an 800 number. Now it's on the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 03:19 PM       
Can I use your login name and password?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Rongi Rongi is offline
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: POOF
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 03:46 PM       
it was just a question.

it's not like i said "if he didnt, i'm gonna slice his fat gut open and use all the lard to feed the needy!!"
__________________
ill fuck that bitch so hard in 10 years she'll crack her back and remember my dick - kahljorn
Reply With Quote
  #24  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 03:53 PM       
I apologize, it was more frustration from a growing trend on this board.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Cybernetico Cybernetico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Location: Location: Location:Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:35 PM        Re: Donating
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICKED
Well, let's look at it logically. If he donates the money and doesn't tell people, then all his detractors will have unlimited ammo to shoot him with. There will be vitually no reason to believe he made to movie for anything but the money. However, if he does tell the media about his donation, there will at least be serious doubt about the gold-digging motive, regardless of the truth.
If he publically donates a large sum of money, it will prove he is for real and will kinda give his film more credibility.

But then, assholes like me will simply say he did it for publicity, or at least be skeptical.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

   


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 AM.


© 2008 I-Mockery.com
Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.