I don't know whether this should be in the music forum or what but w/e
You know how sometimes you get that completely spontaneous urge to do something to yourself that you know you won't enjoy and won't leave you any better for it? Like when you just feel like punching your thigh because you felt like it and not because you're really
schizophenic? I had one of those today.
I have decided that at some point in the next few weeks, I am going to spend an entire 7 days listening to absolutely nothing but J-pop.
Some background may be required:
1. I am no fan of, nor have I ever (willingly) listened to, any J-pop. The only J-pop I've ever heard was from friends of mine playing Dance Dance Revolution while I stand off to the side (Cuz I'm too rad
for that gay shit, nigga) or the opening themesong to Teen Titans. I can tell you now, I hated it.
2. I will be testing for several variables. Those are:
a) Whether my intelligence and general aptitude suffers a positive or negative effect.
b) Whether my consumption of delicious-but-off-beat Japanese candy (i.e., Pocky and its cocaine-laced sister products) increases.
c) Whether my hard drive becomes inexplicably filled with pornography featuring catgirls or tentacle rape (or both)
d) Whether or not my text becomes laced with the so-called Japanese smilies (^_^, XD, etc) without a clear indication of intended internet irony (or i-rony)
e) Increased instance of acne or any of the other physical symptoms associated with being Wapanese.
f) Increased usage of the "V for Victory" sign at wholly inappropriate times.
3. As stated above, I know next to nothing about J-pop. I will need reccommendations. Preferably something good. If I'm going to spend a week listening to crap, I want to listen to good crap. Pufi Ami Yumi and the pillows are already on my list and they're basically the only ones I can think of at the moment. I would prefer to have enough music that I don't have to listen to anything more than three times at the most. I would prefer specific bands and whole albums as opposed to specific songs.
And don't recommend me video game music, you queers.
Edit: Oh, and I would prefer them to be English releases when possible. In spite of what the anime queers think, I can't absorb the full effect of the music without at least having some collateral understanding of what they're singing about.
Of course, I will be keeping a daily journal consisting of these things:
o What music I listened to that day
o The factors listed above
o Any mood swings or irritability that may be associated with the music
o Physical symptoms
o General attitude
As always, I will attempt to control for other factors as best I can. The amount of non-J-pop music that I hear will be limited to as close a minimum as is feasible. In order to stay "kosher," if I eat out I will try to eat at restaraunts which play predominantly Japanese music, though it may not be J-pop. This is about as close as I can get.
Edit: Oh, and I forgot one important factor:
- I will carry around a portable CD player and headphones (and extra batteries, of course) while I am out during the day and not in class or another inappropriate setting.
- I have two half-hour long drives to and from school, and my car stereo is pretty rockin'. So, I will be listening to this music while I drive.
- I have not yet decided whether or not I should listen to it while I sleep. I rarely listen to music while I sleep, and I share my bed with my fiancee, and her comfort comes first. If she agrees, then I'll do it. If not, then the silence of sleep may be the only thing that saves my soul.