Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:04 AM       
Can you make downloadable versions of shows once they become old?

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:07 AM       
The shows are big time filesize and Jixby simply doesn't have the bandwith to host them all.

Right now we are still moving material onto the new computers, what you hear on a loop is basically everything we made in the month and a half WFYB was up.

Just record it if you want a personal copy, I don't see why you would.

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:12 AM       
Well Riddles for some reason my media players can't support the file and I'm not computer savvy enough to know what is the deal so I just thought I'd suggest pal.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:17 AM       
if you have got windows media player or winamp blocked to internet access in whatever firewall you have got you won't be able to get to it that's what my problem was
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:17 AM       
lol or you guys could start selling cds of like a bunch of shows on .mp3 for 5 bucks idk
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:41 AM       
I was thinking of selling CDs of it when it looked like it was KAPUT for good

yeah basically i took everything we recorded, including dumb little bits that weren't meant to be aired on their own (me testing my microphone, sketches mark made, other clips like that) and a bunch of songs. So if you listened to it all day you'd probably hear everything twice
dipshed
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:37 AM       
Milhouse get a skype account (since you can't get AIM) and I'll send you whatever you want.

Mocker
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:38 AM       
SOON! (when the file transfer is done) i'm going to have some FRESH MATERIAL for the airwaves, which i will repeat all night so you get a chance to listen to it. A brand new show from mark and jixby i think you'll like it !
Mocker
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:10 AM       
Okay maybe tommorow night
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:24 AM       
You dudes need to compress your audio :< (not in the filesize compression way, dynamic range compression) ;< I can't hear a damn thing anyone is saying half the time nad the other half you're clipping the shit out of me ;<
Mocker
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:58 AM       
i have no idea what any of that means, but I'm guessing the reason it sounded bad was because I had an awful soundcard. I just heard about 6 minutes of a recent show we did after i bought a better soundcard and it sounded way better.

WFYB is gonna take a break for the night as i let my computer cool the f*ck down. I'll start it over when i wake up and hopefully i'll have some new material soon.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:01 PM       
It's probably also the microphone you're using.

Audio compression at radio settings basically compresses complex waveforms (the richter scale squiggles) into blocks, rounding off the highs and the lows. Then, volume is added. This results in the loud shit getting quieter and the soft shit getting louder until pretty much everything is the same volume. Radio in particular does this to an extreme level because their signal pushes further the louder it is, so a compression ratio of 100:1 is not uncommon.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:19 PM       
But beware of TRANSIENT PEAKS! For there lies the dark path.
Mocker
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:11 PM       
A lot of that is still totally going over my head but hey thats okay i guess you can't be a brainiac in every catagory right haha

before we did a lot of this, we sat down and did a bunch of soundtests. Based on our basic knowlege of our computer's volume controls, we discovered that we had to comprimise between my sounding extremely (and distractingly) loud and somewhat clear and my sounding at the right volume level but be overcome by static. So we split the difference. For our first episode (the one where we all recorded our parts seperately and put them together) I actually had to wait till my parents were gone and use my mothers computer because she had a better sound card. It's not the microphone, because I went through like 5 different mikes thinking it was the microphone.

Everything you're hearing was recorded probably a long long time ago. There are a few newer thigns, but all the shows and whatnot we recorded in AUGUST. Since then I got a new soundcard and it doesn't have the problems my old one did. The weird drop-outs in my voice no longer happen, but I think that was a skype problem.
was never good
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:20 PM       
if you give me one of your radio shows I can run it through a compressor and show you the difference :o
Mocker
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:22 PM       
sure!

I'm gonna put them all in a torrent for myspleen but if you don't want them all I guess I can send one of them over aim
was never good
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:29 PM       
Torrents tend to rape my internet to hell and back so if you could send them through other means I'd appreciate it
i will let you down
george is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:32 PM       
i can not wait to listen, sometime when i am not at the library

i wish fartin mowler really was dead.
doctorboogie fanclub member #1
@jorgedomingo on twitter.
Mocker
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:06 PM       
WFYB is back on yo, enjoy!
dipshed
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:52 PM       
Is there anyway I can compress it using Cool Edit Pro?

i will let you down
george is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:39 PM       
is your message board still around jixby? i really used to like that place.
doctorboogie fanclub member #1
@jorgedomingo on twitter.
was never good
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:00 PM       
i don't know cool edit pro :<
dipshed
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:33 PM       
well how would you do it

was never good
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:20 PM       
Set the threshold down pretty low and crank the ratio way up. Basically anything louder than the threshold will be compressed, so just set the threshold to above the noise floor (in your case, static) and ram it home.
Banned

Pram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram Maven
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:36 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by GADZOOKS
well how would you do it
I believe this is in my field of expertise, being that pretty much all I do these days is make music and work at a job I hate. (You can make fun of the job later). I've actually been offered work because of this setup, and I'm doing voices and music professionally for several films.

First, you want the sound as dynamically compressed to begin with, as you can get it. To do this, a simple guitar multi FX pedal

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...al&sa=N&tab=wi

will work. These are in the neighborhood of just under $100USD and they work GREAT for playing/singing/podcasting through, into a dedicated sound card.

The SoundBlaster Live

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...ndblaster+live

is the one I just bought, and it has noise cancellation features built right into the hardware as software, I think. I don't know quite how that part works, but it does what it's supposed to.

The only problem with using a guitar processor, is that there is a certain colorization of sound within its circuitry. To get around this, you will need EQ. A good FX pedal will have EQ, reverb, delay, and just about every other kind of vocal effect you could want.

Now, all of this is fine and dandy, but the sound coming out of the pedal is too weak. SO, you will want to amplifify it:

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...eadphone+mixer

This will get your signal up to line level.

You will probably want to get a preamp/mixer for your output coming from the computer so that you will be able to hear yourself and put out a strong signal at the same time. Soundcards are tricky with this; believe me, I know. I've been recording computer-based music since 1999.

Again, a note about compression and background noise: instead of a mixer/preamp before the computer, you might want to just go with a compression pedal with the sensitivity level turned down just enough, so that the signal is strong, but the hiss from the compressor is nonexistent. To completely obliterate any noise a few feet away from the microphone, you will want to turn N/R (noise reduction) on the pedal, on. This will make your recordings sound like you're recording in a soundproof booth.

Also, when recording with mics and whatnot, always try to use the LINE IN and not the MIC jack. LINE jacks are more balanced and won't clip as easily, resulting in a cleaner, less-"hot" recording.

Pops and clicks in your speech that are picked up by the mic can be reduced greatly by stretching a nylon stocking (pantyhose) over the microphone. This reduces a lot of sibilants . Another thing that will help is to try to speak towards the mic, but with it about six to eight inches away from your mouth, and at a slight angle upwards, so you're kind of speaking across it.

lastly, the microphone I recommend is the Shure SM-58 dynamic microphone with an on/off switch.

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...fe=off&q=sm-58

You can technically do all of this with just a cheap microphone and a good sound editing program, but this way, you know exactly what you're getting, at 16 or 24 bits per second, and you can actually HEAR it sound the way it will be recorded.. Another strong point for using the hardware method described above, is that you won't have to do much, if any, mastering in the final mixdown. The most you will have to do is normalize the wave form to get it as loud as possible. The very best sound engineers in the world always mix loud songs quietly, and add the volume at the mastering stage.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing your broadcasts!