Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

mesobe is probably a spambot
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 02:09 PM        Bertuzzi and hockey
For all the hockey folks out there, this isnt breaking news, but its worthy of discussion...

Canucks' star gets season ban for on-ice assault
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...594563242.html
----------------------

The National Hockey League has suspended Vancouver ace Todd Bertuzzi for the rest of the season, including the play-offs, after his vicious on-ice attack that left an opponent with a broken neck.

But the Canucks' All-Star forward has yet to learn the full extent of his punishment. Vancouver police are investigating whether to charge him and the NHL says it will consider Bertuzzi's eligibility for next season.

"This is not a part of our game and it will not be tolerated," said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman after the ruling.

"Ultimately, we will be judged on our response and the message you send. And the message is, there is no place for this in our game."

Bertuzzi's attack on Colorado Avalanche's Steve Moore on Monday sent the rookie crashing to the ice and left him unconscious in a pool of blood.

Moore is still in a Vancouver hospital and will not play again this season. He also has concussion and deep facial cuts.

In leaving the suspension open-ended, the NHL has linked Bertuzzi's ban to Moore's health. Bertuzzi, who has expressed remorse over the incident, breaking into tears several times while making a public apology, will meet Bettman before next season's training camp to review his case.

-----------------------

Well, I think Bertuzzi just threw out his career for good. There has been lots of talk about banning fighting in the NHL, but the problem is, they didnt fight! Moore was sucker punched from behind. I also think Todd should be criminally charged with assult and conspiracy since the attack was for "revenge" .
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:55 PM       
Quote:
Well, I think Bertuzzi just threw out his career for good.
5th leading scorer last year and one of two bright spots Vancouver has. As long as Moore comes back next year, which looks likely, Bertuzzi will keep his job.

I think if you are going to arrest him for this, Ty Domi should be on his way to the electric chair.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:04 PM       
The police normally don't have any place in hockey, but neither does aggravated assault, which is exactly what that was. Lock the motherfucker up.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 07:44 PM       
Fuck that, these guys know it's a violent sport going in. In extreme cases severe suspension or expulsion may be necessary but the police have no place in this. Did Mike Tyson face criminal charges for the ear incident?
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 04:48 PM       
Sure, it was a cheap shot but I'm sure that he did intend the resultant injury. I see hits that look a lot worse in hockey just about every week and am constantly suprised by the serious injuries that DON't happen. Conclusion (as above): Hockey is a violent sport. Those guys know the risks going in and are well paid to take them. Although I feel for the guy in this particular incident, I doubt charging him with any kind od civil assault is really going to change hockey.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 05:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
Sure, it was a cheap shot but I'm sure that he did intend the resultant injury.
After he knoched the guy down, he proceded to punch him in the face over and over and over again.....

I don't think this can be compared to the likes of Domi, either. Domi was a thug and a cheap shot artist who did his fair share of time in the penalty box. Plus, Domi was a bruiser. The reason Domi played hockey was to hurt and intimidate people.

This was different. This was a premeditated assault on the part of Bertuzzi. I've seen a lof of messy hockey fights and cheap shots. This was neither of those things. Yes, it's a part of the game, but even something that comes with the game needs to have boundaries that are clear. If criminal charges aren't brought against Bertuzzi, then I hope the NHL considers making his penalty far more severe. Make him pay out of the pocket, and make his team pay in the loss column with his absence.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 05:07 PM       
I for one am all about the "violence" in hockey. But if you have a beef with someone, its face-to-face. You dont plan it out in the locker room and sneak up behind the fucker. Not to mention Todd is HUGE. 6'2 and 250 some-odd lbs. yikes.
Mocker
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 05:34 PM       
Bertuzzi tried to square off with Moore, but Moore kept pussing out.

And what about fining Colorado's coach for leaving a player with bounty on him (this is not uncommon in the NHL or any contact sport) when he is winning 9-2 inthe third period? Thats not goading the other team?
Mocker
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 05:36 PM       
These are all gripes that hold weight....were Bertuzzi's actions not above and beyond the normal violence involved in hockey. Assaulting him like that, merely b/c he avoided you, is a poor excuse for Bertuzzi. It actually makes him look a lot worse....
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 05:56 PM       
I played and watched hockey practically all my life and what Bertuzzi did in my opinion isn't part of what's considered acceptable in hockey circles.

Even CBC's Hockey Night in Canada - Coach's Corner's Don 'I played exactly one NHL game in my important career' Cherry thinks what Bertuzzi did was wrong.
Mocker
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 06:02 PM       
Nobody is saying what Bertuzzi was right. We all agree he should be suspened and fined. Even his coach is getting fined. Jumping a guy from behind is not hockey.

The issue is whether or not the police have a place in this. They don't.

Also, Moore isn't some innocent victim here, either. He hacked a man with his stick because he was a big scorer.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 07:00 PM       
I think the police have every right to intervene. It was premeditated and went far beyond the level of violence that's acceptable in hockey. Punching him from behind, yeah. Ramming his face into the ice after you stun him, no.

Besides, I'm a bitter Winnipegger who's still upset about losing the Jets. So there.
Mocker
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 07:15 PM       
Ya, like the Jets were a real hockey team anyway.
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:13 PM       
Best. Team. Ever.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:36 PM       
moore was knocked out before he even hit the ground
Red, dead meat!
Carnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 10:25 PM       
Marty McSorley. That happened in Vancouver. Need I say more?
Mocker
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:07 PM       
So, if hockey players can be arrested for hitting a guy from behind, are we going to have linebackers arrested when they lead with their helmets when they sack a quarterback?

Because that is way more dangerous.
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:18 PM       

You just don't get it, do you? Bertuzzi had it out for Moore. This was no accident.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:19 PM       
well its not really the act of hitting moore from behind, its more because it fucked him up good like. He was out cold before he could eat the ice and it busted his neck. I watched the game and Im one for hockey fights and blood, but that was just brutal.

I havent heard anything from moore as of late. I wonder what he has to say about all of this
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp

You just don't get it, do you? Bertuzzi had it out for Moore. This was no accident.
It's you who doesn't get it. If you think that Bertuzzi sincerely wanted to hurt Moore that badly you're retarded. Yes, he intended to rough him up, but by no means have him unconscious in a pool of blood with a broken neck. Yes it was vicious, yes there should be repurcussions. Hell, throw him out of the league entirely and fine him thousands if you want to send a message to the players, but the police have no place in this, as they don't in boxing, football, or any other violent sport where things like this are bound to happen.
Mocker
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtest
It's you who doesn't get it. If you think that Bertuzzi sincerely wanted to hurt Moore that badly you're retarded. Yes, he intended to rough him up, but by no means have him unconscious in a pool of blood with a broken neck.
Look at the footage again. I'll repeat myself: After Bertuzzi assaults Moore from behind, knocking him down to the ice, he procedes to pound him in the face repeatedly. This was more than simply good 'ol rough housing in hockey. This was a premeditated assault with the intention of serious harm. This was the hockey equivolent of a drive-by shooting....
TERRIBLE BEAT
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 12:02 AM       
Yes, he obviously wanted to hurt him. I'm not arguing that. But to break his neck, leave him unconscious in a pool of his own blood, and completely fuck up his career in the process? You think he intended that? I don't. Again, was Mike Tyson criminally charged for the ear incident?

CastroMotorOil is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 01:30 AM       
umm when does he punch moore in the face again? he gets swarmed by other people nanoseconds after they hit the ice.

Also the police have no buisness here, if Claude Lemuiex gets away with DESTROYING Kris Draper's face, without apologising, then why should Bertuzzi?
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:12 PM       
He didn't punch him, he took his head and slammed it into the ice. What kind of 'roughing up' is that? It's nothign like anything I've ever seen in hockey.
And Moores hit against Nazlin (sp) was clean, and made three games before Bertuzzi pulled this shit. He didn't do it the next game they played against Colarado, because he was too chicken shit to be such an asshole outside of home ice.
Mocker
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:41 PM       
When he skated up to him, he punched him in the back of the head, which is what did the damage, not slamming him on the ice.

Quote:
And Moores hit against Nazlin (sp) was clean,
He used his stick, that is as far from clean as China is from Iowa.