Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM       
i still think shields are worth it, just not on EVERYONE. at least when he's dispelling it he's not attacking
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:28 PM       
I would just buy a bunch of pencil rockets for Duster and Boney and use them with Kumatora and Lucas's most powerful magic to try and kill him before he killed me. That was kind of my strategy for every fight.

I've actually been curious about this, back for Earthbound/Mother 2 was Jeff suppose to be such a heavy hitter? Once I could afford those multi-bottle rockets the difficulty level just evaporated.
#1 on the ignore list
Neen is probably a spambot
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:31 PM       
Bombs and offensive PSI are wasted on Masked Man, as he has high defense against them. Raise your stats and lower his.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 01:23 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Hadas View Post
I would just buy a bunch of pencil rockets for Duster and Boney and use them with Kumatora and Lucas's most powerful magic to try and kill him before he killed me. That was kind of my strategy for every fight.

I've actually been curious about this, back for Earthbound/Mother 2 was Jeff suppose to be such a heavy hitter? Once I could afford those multi-bottle rockets the difficulty level just evaporated.
Jeff is shit in Earthbound. I never bought any items for him because I'm a cheap bastard, so he usually spends his time shooting his useless weapon and getting beat on.

I'm sure if I gave him some items he'd be somewhat useful (like how Boney is useless in M3 without items) but I already hate Jeff so much. Boney has the advantage of being a dog, therefore he's cool enough for me to overlook him taking up a character slot that should have been used for Flint.

Or Fuel. He'd be cool to have tag along.

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 01:32 AM       
Jeff was fucking badass in Earthbound. Maybe you just didn't get him his better weapons. He was weak, but he really had some useful weapons. Also, Poo was fucking awesome with the Sword of Kings.

That was very funny. Well done.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 03:15 AM       
I ask because I've always wondered if my game had been glitching. Jeff was ALWAYS the one doing the most damage and nobody ever seems to use him that way. If I recall right those multi-bottle rockets did like 600 damage a piece. They weren't cheap but you'd only use them against bosses anyways so they were definitely worth the price.

I never did get the King of Swords, I heard about it right after exiting the area you steal it in which I'm pretty sure you can't go back to. Poo's pretty shitty without it. You might say his not worth crap. He down right STINKS empty handed. Really poops out near the end. You could say he's shit green with envy.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 09:10 AM       
When you're in the last area, just use Mirror against the Atomic Power Robots and Poo will heal your whole party. :D
#1 on the ignore list
Neen is probably a spambot
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 11:15 AM       
Jeff had the Counter PSI Unit, Shield Killer, and the HEAVY BAZOOKA. If you think Jeff is shit, then I don't think you know how to play EarthBound.
has a woody
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 03:07 PM       
I know how to play Dragon Quest, and that's just as good.

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM       
Apparently not.

Level 29 ♂
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM       
I didn't find out until about a month ago that PSI Thunder in earthbound destroys power shields.

Edit: this is compounded with the fact that I've played this game once or twice a year since 1995
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 11:15 PM       

Last edited by liquidstatik : Jun 29th, 2023 at 06:01 AM.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM       
I'm finally warming up to it now, especially since it's progressively getting weirder.

I'm not a fan of the battle combo system though because it seems based on luck rather than keeping with the beat. I got better combos before I even knew how to get combos, since I always repeatedly press the button during battles in RPGs for some reason anyway

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 11:49 AM       
me too
Level 29 ♂
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 12:35 PM       
The combo system is extremely inaccurate because you're playing on an emulator. All of the GBA emulators experience a very slight slowdown (I know on VGBA there's a little ticker at the top that says the % speed at which the emulator is running, which varies) so when you try to do combos the game's speed fluctuates and prevents you from scoring a second hit even if you hit the beat right. The combo system becomes much easier if you're playing the game on an honest-to-God GBA.

I'm just glad that the combo system adds enough damage to make it worth doing but not enough where it becomes necessary to beating a boss or whatever.
The Wolf
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM       
Yeah, it's the slight emulator lag that causes that. Sometimes, if I'm pressing turbo during a battle and pressing A as usual, I get up to 10 or so without even trying.

I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM       
The most I ever got was 10 hits total. That was mostly luck.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
The Wolf
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM       
I'm almost done, and I really don't wanna finish. This whole thing has been kinda bittersweet cause I waited for so long, and it's a great game, but they've said that it's most likely the last game. That makes me so sad

Also, the two seeds from the desert, on the boat ride... Fucking awesome.

has a woody
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM       
Really? I'm using the PSP of all things and I can score 16 hits easy, save for one song.

EDIT: Zomboid don't forget to move the D-Pad around during the "End?" screen. I guess if you don't do it, you miss some vital shit for the game's ending. A few friends told me that they totally missed that part and pretty much hated the ending.

Level 29 ♂
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM       
It seems to emulate perfectly if you're playing it on anything but a PC, actually. I guess it's because a PC is doing other shit while you're playing on the emulator so it's not devoting all of its attention to the game. I don't know how you put that in computer terms.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM       
RESOURCE ALLOCATION
has a woody
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 07:22 PM       
But...a PC has more processing power than a PSP, even if you're running AIM or something. My laptop rarely ever breaks double digits unless I'm playing something like the Orange Box games.

Be sure to use Vsync, set frameskip to 0, and sound to 44kbs or something.

The Wolf
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 08:52 PM       
Well, I finished it. That was a truly great game and I'm so grateful that those guys (eventually) finished the translation so that we could play it. I really, really liked it and I'm very sad now that I'm done

has a woody
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM       
I was talking to one of my friends about Mother 3, and the topic of how the story was originally written came up. He told me a fun fact I never knew:

Spoilers!

The Wolf
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM       
Yeah, I think that'd be better too. It was still a pivotal plot point, but that would've been better. Her influence was kind of understandable, but I mean, as the player, I didn't really feel any kind of connection so it was kind of meh.