Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 12:08 AM        When and how did you meet the Internet?
I'm older than many of you, so you might find this funny or not at all funny, I don't give a shit.

My high school didn't have internet access. We had Grolier's Multimedia Encyclopedia on a computer in the library and that was it. Everyone thought it was the shit, the way that you could click on a video clip and actually see the cheetah running as the whole system practically ground to a halt, trying to keep up.

If you wanted to watch a movie in school, it was filmstrip, VHS or laserdisc.

Some kids in the high school figured out that they could print out dollar bills by scanning them on the computer lab's flatbed scanner. They didn't look real, but they were real enough to fool the primitive coke machines. Kids were walking around with free coke and the machine was stuffed full of copy paper.

My parents were, for some reason, convinced that my brother and I were going to do something evil on our computers anyway. They weren't sure what, but they decided to network the dot matrix printer and put it in the linen closet so that anything we printed could be checked at any time. I found this to be one of the dumbest things they'd ever come up with.

When the time came to get a dialup account, they decided it could only be in my junior high school aged brother's room . If I wanted to get Netscape going, I had to gain entry into my brother's room. I was not very happy about that.

When I said I wanted an email account, they wanted to pick the name. Then my mom had my grandmother call me, crying, telling me that I didn't understand that the Internet was full of predators and that whatever username I chose would have a double sexual meaning that I didn't know about. I mean, seriously, they did this.

Anyone "from the Internet" was automatically evil, for years. I bet a lot of people's parents were the same way.