Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:17 PM       
I read his posts in Woody Allen's voice.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:20 PM       
My voice is very deep, actually.

I don't speak the way that I write very frequently.
Level 29 ♂
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:23 PM       
Read it in Woody's voice and tell me it's not hilarious.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:24 PM       
I would if I could remember what he sounds like.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
I read his posts in Woody Allen's voice.
I went back and did this.

It's a really good time.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:07 PM       
Try reading KKK's little heart felt speeches in a Linus-Great pumpkin voice. It makes me laugh everytime. He even kind of looks like him.
Mocker
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:53 PM       

I read "Old Dog idelogy", and had the Christmas special in mind, where Linus gives the speech on stage. Awesome.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 01:02 AM       
Look at the one picture people were posting on here alot for a while, and picture linus 15 years later. Little bald head and overly hopeful eyes.
Mocker
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:52 AM       
Where the hell is KulturKampf??? is he actually using tax dollars wisely, rather than getting drunk and beating himself up in public??

Damnit, why do these types love us and leave us? We're like a cheap one night stand for these crazies.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:39 PM       
Well I was talking about the debate in schools where administrators don't know if they're even allowed to mention creationism. And it isn't really the fault of the teachers, because they don't know what people want them to teach.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 01:12 PM       
KKK is still posting on his own blog, but he hasn't got time or us. I knew it was too good to be true.
Mocker
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 01:14 PM       
"I went out drinking with Yoobin and Eunju yesterday; it was badass; we drank a lot of soju and for a while their friend Donghwa showed up; we ended up at a Noraebang singing our favorite songs. It was terrific. We pledged to be friends for life, and to continue our membership in the genius club."
4/19/06

I miss this.
Mocker
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 01:38 PM       
Isn't that the beginning of the sandlot
BANNED

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM       
Why would they be allowed to mention creationism in a classroom? Unlike evolution it's not even really a theory, and it's not like there's some principle they could discuss. "So god created the earth in seven days.. and that's about it".. "How did he do it Mr. Feingold?" "Uh magic god powers".

You draw up a syllabus for a creationist classroom, and if it sounds more like a science lecture(which there's classes for) than a bible study(Which there's not classes for, except AT CHURCH which aren't really classes) we'll go from there.

It's not like evolution is a belief or anything derived by misinterpretation. It's an actual study of the enviroment which has been changed and modified by physical findings over the course of years. Unlike creationism, they actually seek to prove it in scientifically valid ways. Hence why it is in a SCIENCE CLASS.

Also last I checked the earth started more than six thousand years ago in fact the egyptian empire was around then and just starting to flourish. I don't know why idiot creationists pick that as the begining of the entire universe and world(which is dumb) but there you have it. Normally when people say the universe was created 6,000 years ago I hope they are misunderstanding an authority, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Mocker
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:31 PM       
Well if you want science to be the antythesis of faith then shouldn't we teach kids the the science of carbon dating and half life and every other scientifice device used to determine anything. Evolution is based off of deduction and it is a pretty frivilous theory, because it says that something evolved because it exists today. So a koala bear or whatever went through a set of changes due to enviromental changes? well we can't be sure of that. So it changed in to what it did today because of competitive reasons? maybe. Can it be determined which one of the millions of variables caused the Koala to look like it does today? can't say for certain, but we're sure it was something evolutionary.

A 6th graders is taking just as much faith in believing all aspects of evolution as they are studying Creationism. The teachings of the different evolutionary states of man are taught with the same logical standing that the bible is taught. We take just as much faith that Evolution happens as god winds the clock of the universe.

Now this is where I turn around and defend myself by emphasizing the word taught. I myself really don't have any concerns about where we came from or where we're going, I am religious enough to believe that the truth lies somewhere in between Creationism and Evolution, but I don't feel that my time is best speculating on it. I think there are logical holes in Darwinism and evolution that too many people don't bother to point out or realize.

The point I'm making is that in sociology surveys or what ever generic classes kids are forced to take that they should be taught that creationism has branches in many religions and that many people have different ones according to their belief set. Just as a footnote in the lesson plan.
Level 29 ♂
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:50 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruU2wice
Well if you want science to be the antythesis of faith then shouldn't we teach kids the the science of carbon dating and half life and every other scientifice device used to determine anything. Evolution is based off of deduction and it is a pretty frivilous theory, because it says that something evolved because it exists today. So a koala bear or whatever went through a set of changes due to enviromental changes? well we can't be sure of that. So it changed in to what it did today because of competitive reasons? maybe. Can it be determined which one of the millions of variables caused the Koala to look like it does today? can't say for certain, but we're sure it was something evolutionary.
I'm not sure what you're getting at with this. EVERYTHING in science is a deduction. What you're saying doesn't make any sense to me, and I'm not sure if I'm just missing the point or what.

Quote:
A 6th graders is taking just as much faith in believing all aspects of evolution as they are studying Creationism.
Well, so what? A sixth grader is taking it on faith that 2 + 2 = 4, too.

Quote:
The teachings of the different evolutionary states of man are taught with the same logical standing that the bible is taught.
How's that, exactly?

Quote:
Now this is where I turn around and defend myself by emphasizing the word taught. I myself really don't have any concerns about where we came from or where we're going, I am religious enough to believe that the truth lies somewhere in between Creationism and Evolution, but I don't feel that my time is best speculating on it. I think there are logical holes in Darwinism and evolution that too many people don't bother to point out or realize.
This is the part I'm really interested in: Logical holes like what? I have a sneaking suspicion you're drawing a lot of your material from Michael Behe's "Darwin's Black Box," and if that's true, there's MORE than enough criticism of that crock of shit on the internet to convince you, I think. And if you're not taking any ideas from it, then I'm sorry for assuming, but I'd like to know what these "logical holes" are.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:29 PM       
Umm, lack of proof?

Sorry. I really don't want to be involved in this again...

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
=======

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:30 PM       
Aww... Fuck it.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
=======

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:31 PM       
There is a really big difference between the general concept of "evolution" and that of Darwinian evolution, or the idea that all life evolves from a common origin, right?

Let's settle our terms first off.

Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:32 PM       
well, for one thing, I think you mean induction not deduction, since deduction is the one that is strictly logical and mathematical, where induciton is the one where you deal with probablities and observations

also, I don't get the whole problem religious people have with evolution, I mean, it doesn't even step on any reasonable religious interpretation of the divine origin of reality as far as I see. I mean, the whole point of thinking that there's a divine source of the universe is that you go back farther and farther and discover that there had to be something before creation. Evolution just means you have to go back a lot farther to get to the point where creation started. I mean, it should be obvious to anyone that god didn't actually create you or your cat or your dog, they were all born out of their parents, in a process of immanent, non divine reproduction. The immanent characteristics you possess can be seen to be the product of genes and other such worldly material characteristics, so why would you think there's some divine intervention going on there? Seriously, god could have created the world, but it doesn't change the fact that there's an immanent, non divine process going on in the world that he created.
=======

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr
There is a really big difference between the general concept of "evolution" and that of Darwinian evolution, or the idea that all life evolves from a common origin, right?

Let's settle our terms first off.

BANNED

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:00 AM       
"Evolution is based off of deduction and it is a pretty frivilous theory, because it says that something evolved because it exists today."

That's not what it's saying at all, it's saying that from amillion different observations there's pieces of evidence that suggest there's a function like evolution. One of them is the fact that wh ile we're in the womb, for a time, we develop Gills(like a fish) then a tail, then a bunch of other shit that could be said to be our prior evolutions.
There's also more obvious things. Like finding fossils of our 'ancestors' who looked completely different than us. Where did they go? Why is it only us now? Where did we come from?
Another is the fact that evolution has occured within our lifetimes. Ever hear of "Cultivation" of plants? Originally plants were wild, and tiny. The original variety of corn(they are usually called "Heirloom" varieties) was the size of baby corn. Ever seen those? That small. Over the course of time they were developed into the size they are today. Another example is soybeans. Those weren't even edible originally. So what we say is plants changing drastically, not only through cultivation but also mutation. Ever hear of nectarines? Mutation. Hairless peach, right? Domesticated dogs?
WHERE DID THEY COME FROM DID GOD MAGICALLY MAKE THEM 35 YEARS AGO OR WHENEVER THEY MIGHT HAVE BEEN CREATED?
Again, those are examples not proof(it's hard to provide proof for things that happened millions of years ago I hope you can see why). The fact that things today can grow and change into other things doesn't necessarily mean that the same thing happened millions of years ago to bring us to where we are today, but it's a good indication of what happened isn't it?

Refute those examples, please. If you really need to I'll post some links with pictures and whatever else.

"So a koala bear or whatever went through a set of changes due to enviromental changes?"

Enviromental, diet, mutation, causation of natural genetic variance. Take your pick, there's tons of possibilities. Naturally, there shouldn't be just one trigger for evolution and change since evolution is probably alot like a survival mechanism, and just a natural law.

"Can it be determined which one of the millions of variables caused the Koala to look like it does today?"

Why would we be able to? That doesn't make any sense. We can make estimations but we weren't there when they magically changed. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, and it isn't really a good argument. All we know is once there was no koalas, more than likely just something similar, and now there are koalas and not whatever was similar.

"The teachings of the different evolutionary states of man are taught with the same logical standing that the bible is taught."

When was the last time a preacher called the bible a theory or even cited it's inconsitancies? In my evolutionary education they cited examples of how it's inconsistant and what they are doing to remedy the inconsitancies, and more experiments they have going on to try to prove it.
Also what the hell where the fossil proof of jesus' dead body? Where's the observations of truth? Where's anything? They read from the bible, they aren't out to prove things. Granted, there's probably some asshole scientist or philosopher out there trying to prove the existance of God, and we have one or those on this message board, but most of their proofs against evolution come down to whiny nit-picking.
"CARBON DATNG ISNT COMPLETELY ACCURATE" "BUT THE BIBLE SAYS" "WE CANT KNOW THAT FOR SURE!" Great scientific method there, fellas. Now all we need to do is find proof for how we can't know!
I THINK I PROVED IT ALREADY WE CANT KNOW BECAUSE WE CANT KNOW THAT WE CANT KNOW AND OUR WATCHES ARENT COMPLETELY ACCURATE SO WE WOULDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS AND IF WE DONT KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS HOW CAN WE POSSIBLY KNOW WHEN IT'S OUR BIRTHDAYS? I WANT CAKE NOW.

" I think there are logical holes in Darwinism and evolution that too many people don't bother to point out or realize. "

It's a theory, anybody who accepts it blindly isn't very scientific. They are going off of the proof that has been founded ;/
Also the fact that it's a theory and not a law is proof enough that the logical holes are accepted and being worked upon.

"There is a really big difference between the general concept of "evolution" and that of Darwinian evolution, or the idea that all life evolves from a common origin, right? "

Who cares, it's all evolution. You nit-picker. Evolution is a theory that grows and changes, quit living in the past and calling it darwinian evolution(I'M GOING TO ATTACK A SCIENTIFIC THEORY THAT'S OLD TO MAKE ME LOOK EXTRA SMART WOOWEE I'M FUTURE MAN I KNOW EVERYTHING). There's been plenty more contributions since his time, alot of them even more credible. Also, the idea that it comes from a common source would probably make sense with the rarity of life, but all in all I'd say they don't really know they are just assuming off of what's more likely- that a thousand lifeforms suddenly came out of nowhere or that one or two developed into what we have today ;(
From what I understand they think the first life came from underwater near volcanic vents. So I guess there's your "Common source".
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:21 AM       
I love you too, Kahl.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
BANNED

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:24 AM       
Sorry, I wasn't really directing the nit-picking comment at you. I'm sure you'd have a much more credible and interesting explanation than WE CANT KNOW FOR SURE.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:26 AM       
hey guys, uh, 'proof' is for mathemiticians

wait, uh, I was unaware of this distinction your talking about actually. Are you saying that there are non-darwinian theories of evolution that say that there isn't a common origin of life? Because I was under the impression that it was fairly well accepted by biologists that life had a common origin, given the common characteristics like DNA and so forth.