Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:17 AM        Disk Read Error Occured
I left my computer running overnight, and found it all black with that message: "Disk Read Error Occurred, press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

I was downloading some torrents from myspleen. I tried to restart, it never gets past the EMachines logo when it boots up.

I tried to get to safe mode or something, by pressing F8. It won't even boot up in safe mode.

Then I left it for a while on a black screen, and this came up:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system 32\ntoskrn1.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system 32\hal.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system 32\KDCOM.DLL
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system 32\BOOTVID.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system 32\config\system

I googled ntoskrn1.exe, it sounded possibily not good. like, virus not good. But who knows.

I have some files that are real important on this harddrive. I hope I'm not completely fucked here. I talked to a tech support guy on the emachines chat and he said I could take out the hard drive and make it a slave drive on another computer. I'm willing to try that, but I'm ascared, that if it has a virus that I would not want to do that, you know?

What you think
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 08:26 AM       
sounds to me like a dying hard drive. maybe that file you suspect is a virus is actually ntoskrnl.exe which is a system file. either way, i would probably try to slave it off and just copy data. if you are really worried at least make sure you have the virus scan on your other system updated.

If it is a bad drive, hopefully you can pull stuff off it. I wouldnt keep trying to turn it on before you slave it, that can decrease your chances of pulling data.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 02:15 PM       
hey worable! hows it going!
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM       
http://myharddrivedied.com/

At the bottom of the Presentations page, there's a ton of links to recovery stuff.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 02:07 AM       
try replacing those files :O