Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:29 AM        Atonement
If there's already a thread for this, I hadn't seen it!

My roomie's girlfriend insisted the three of us watch this, and I went in having only been told that it was a love and war movie. I figured it'd just be an anglophone rehashing of A Very Long Engagement, which I have yet to see in full anyways because that seems to be a very long movie.

I was quite surprised that this movie is actually good and was worth my time. I have made myself rather prejudiced against most movies in general, especially the kind that involve romance and actors whom I've been forced to hear of regardless of my disinterest in pop culture.

Usually I'm irritated by movies that use war as a plot device to convey some message about romance, which is what I thought this would be. It's not. It uses romance and war in parallel to convey a message about the human experience. In the past 3000 or so years of human story telling, only in the extremely recent past has it been considered okay to give a worthwhile story a happy ending. Hence, if something with a saccharine conclusion doesn't market itself outright as a comedy, I'll probably dislike it. This movie pays respect to that tradition and truth, that we learn much better from life's travesty and pain.

It's not a war movie and it's not a romance movie, but I thought it was very good.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Banned
layla17 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM       
I've been trying to get my boyfriend to watch this with me for sometime. He always comes up with some excuse to not watch it. I'm going to make him watch it tonight.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:41 PM       
layla17 if i watch atonement with you can i be your boyfriend

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 03:48 AM       
Darling won't you ease HIS worried mind?

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:24 AM       
This is the gayest movie I've seen recently and it was absolutely horrible and was worthless and the main character was stupid if she thought that was atonement for anyone other than her own selfish and stupid ass.

also a very long engagement is at least six times as watchable as this piece of crap.
Big Red Cat
Roggs is probably a spambot
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 03:03 AM       
Well, the marketing sure turned me off, seeing as how they painted it as a contrived, melodramatic bodice ripper. I'll never see it.